Random DND Forest Map

Community Forums/Showcase/Random DND Forest Map

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#1]
Someone requested something on the ENWorld.org forums to create a random percentage of "trees" on tiles for their DND games. So, I spit this out right quick (and for free ... lol, cause I'm no seasoned pro) I think it works, but tell me if anyone get any errors, so I might be able to fix them promptly. Thanks!

http://www.togamario.com/zip/forestgen.zip

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#2]
Does exactly what it says on the tin. Now, howsabout clustering them and adding towns, roads and mountains ?

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#3]
LOL, If they had asked for all that I might have taken a bit longer to make it super polished, but alas, someone just needed some randomly placed trees. However, I haven't ruled out trying to create an actual map editor, with a randomize option ... Do they have any of these around? I think "Dunjinni" might do something similar?

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#4]
Hey I think you mean D&D or failing that D'n'D haha.

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#5]
Haha, I believe I did mean D&D :) I just might be the worst nerd ever :P

DH(Posted 2005) [#6]
tried to do one:
Values:45,70,30,100,100

It basically froze the program and I had to kill the process.

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#7]
hrm, that'd be a 7,200 x 7,200 pixel map ... does your computer have enough RAM to store all that? It output a 66 MB file for me, although it did take over a minute. It appeared to lock up, but it was really just floundering, lol. I guess if you leave it there long enough, eventually it would make something.

Wow, the loop had to draw over 30,000 times to make that map. Three layers - the ground layers, the square layers, then the tree layers. No wonder it hangs, lol. This is one of the more extreme cases, though, since I doubt any of the D&D fans have a printer that can print 100 inches X 100 inches.

DH(Posted 2005) [#8]
Well Tyler, without knowing the size of the squares in pixels, I really had no clue on the size to make it...

If a square were 5 feet in travel (for the player), then I would want a board that refferenced 100x100 squares.

I suppose I can try the program again using smaller values, however please put in default values that way a newbie to the program can just hit enter and see what the result is and tweak from there rather than trying to figure out what everything is by doing something big off the bat :-)

Tyler(Posted 2005) [#9]
Good point :D I need to add a scale chart to it, cause I don't specify the tile unit size. Ooopsy.