Paradise Island

Community Forums/Showcase/Paradise Island

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have just had a hard disk crash so as I cannot write games for the moment and i've lost the source code for the project I was working on so I figured I would release it here in it's last compiled form. I plan to write this again once i've got everything reinstalled.

At this stage the tank movement was only basic and there's no enemies to fight so this is a tech demo of a Blitz terrain with lots of polish and finishing touches such as animated fauna, night/day cycle, and lots of wildlife.

The keys to move are WASD, the resolution is fixed at 1024x768x32 but there is an alternative exe at 640x480x16 for anyone with an older computer.

Comments & Criticisms are welcome with the rewrite in mind, but direct feature requests will be read with dismay heartbreak and tears over the lost work.

Main Download: http://www.bansheestudios.com/games/ParadiseIsland.zip
(now includes display options)

Low Res Exe: (obsolete - link removed)

Becky

Caff(Posted 2005) [#2]
direct feature requests will be read with dismay heartbreak and tears over the lost work

hehe

Nice lil tech demo, are you going to turn it into a game? It feels a bit strange controlling a tank on an island.

Needs collision detection.

As for feature requests - I'd chuck in loads of other stuff like buildings / enemies and make it a tank-rampage-on-a-paradise-island game. But that's just me.

DH(Posted 2005) [#3]
How about a screen shot for those of us stuck at work :-)

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#4]
I'm currently rewritting it and am just about at the stage I was when the Hard Disk crashed, when i've done the turret movement & firing I will release another demo.

Here's some screenshots of the rewrite:

DH(Posted 2005) [#5]
ooo, nice :-)

cr(Posted 2005) [#6]
Nice Graphics!!!!

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#7]
hmmn, your domain cant be found. I see no images

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#8]
Did you keep the drive? You may be able to get the files you know- add it as a secondary drive and use various tools... It looks worth the hassle!

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#9]
@Cygnus - The rewrite has now overtaken the version lost in the HD crash.

I've replaced the download with the latest version of the program with the particle system and tank movement although i've not done object collisions yet.

The file size is slightly larger (4.1mb) because I haven't re-installed Winzip yet and had to use Windows compressed folders to zip the file up.

I'm a bit stuck at the moment because my temporary hard disk isn't big enough to install Max too, I need to rig the hovertanks turret up for animation so that I can rotate the turret and elevate/recoil the barrle. If anyone would be kind enough to do that for me i'd really appreciate it :).

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#10]
..I find windows compression more efficient than winzip....

Still, this is good to hear :)

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#11]
There will hopefully be another demo out soon showing off the shooting, here's a few screenies of it at the moment but before I finish the routine off i'm getting some sleep...

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#12]
I've nearly finished the shooting system, here a fire started by explosions in a copse of trees illuminates the hovertank at night...

...and the morning reveals the aftermath of my scorched earth policy and the resultant forest fire:

I'm going to add some graphics card options and then release a demo later tonight.

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#13]
The latest version is now online, I eagerly await your opinions, suggestions and - with some trepidation - your criticisms (provided you say how great it is first you understand ;)).

(The existing download link has been updated.)

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#14]
I have updated the download with a new particle system which I hope greatly increases the visual quality of the project.

http://www.bansheestudios.com/games/ParadiseIsland.zip

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#15]
BOOM!

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#16]
Looks very promising. I found the mouse control a little awkward/un-intuative. I also got a MAV after driving around for a while.

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#17]
Thank you, I'll be putting control options in at a later stage but what is a MAV?

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#18]
Memory Access Violation..
(missing object/file/trying to access elements oustide an array bounds, etc.)

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#19]
Memory Access Violation..
(missing object/file/trying to access elements oustide an array bounds, etc.)
Sorry was just being lazy and using short hand. To explain a little more, I wasn't firing or doing anything unusual. I was just driving the tank around the Island on the land. I also had it running in windowed mode if that helps track it down any. I would suspect it's most likely to be an array out of bounds error.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#20]
verrry nice... no mav here, but i didn't drive around very long...

generating GRASS, not grasses :)

also, is there a way you could 'bend' the tank segments to conform with the land angle... my tank started out with the front and rear 'buried' in the terrain...

one last thing... the particles seemed to slow things down considerably when the tank fired or when there was an explosion...

those were the only things i saw worth noting on the negative side... i know it's a wip and you still got a lot to do...

... so far really decent.

--Mike

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#21]
Thank Mr Russian Sub, although I think (and may be wrong) that the plural for grass types is grasses, whereas the plural for grass is grass :)

I take on board your thoughts on the tank riding the terrain, at the moment it tilts and rolls but it's Y height is dependant upon the central position of the tank. Perhaps it might be better if I positioned the tank at the mean of the front/rear height and see how that looks.

I can't change the fact that the particle system is going to slow the game down in it's full glory as i've written it as efficiently as I can for the moment, but I guess it should be possible for me to include an option to reduce the quantity of particle emmissions in the graphic options.

cr(Posted 2005) [#22]
What software a you using for doing meshes
and textures

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#23]
i aint so sure about the grasses thing either :)

--Mike

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#24]
"What software a you using for doing meshes and textures"
Well there's a before and after to that question, before my hard disk crash I had 3dsMax for meshes and a large texture collection, the particles effects where rendered in Max and i'd use Paintshop Pro for all my 2D artistry.

Since the crash my temporary disk isn't large enough to install Max too, so i'm using Blitz code and MSN contacts as my modeller at the moment...

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#25]
Are you using a single surface particle system?

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#26]
yes, my particle system uses multiple particle instances to create the effects rather than a single particle with multiple texture to ensure maximum graphics card compatability.

I have experimented with multiple textures before but I find that GeForce drivers and in particular the GeForce GTS & Pro cards are notorious for not displaying some of the texture layers. Even my own card an FX5200 only shows two texture layers on the water effect when infact there are 3.

I dont think the particle system itself is that heavy anyway, the bulk of my game is CPU reliant for speed because of the visual portalisation system i'm employing and the particle system is very GPU reliant because of the multiple alpha channelling so I don't think it's too much of an issue.

Both the particle and the emitter system are very efficiently written so they're actually achieving quite a lot for the resources they are taking up.

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#27]
Looks a little TOO much like world_creator's (or shall I say Jonathan Nguyan's) Mechanized Warfare game, except just one tank rather than 32+.

Nice tho.

Banshee(Posted 2005) [#28]
"Looks a little TOO much like "
It looks quit a lot like a Blitz Terrain with Tree Magic Pro you mean?

I've never heard of the game you mention and AV/Google came up blank, do you have a link?

I do intend to have more than 1 tank btw, i'm adding AI atm.

SopiSoft(Posted 2005) [#29]
looks cool