my code modules

Community Forums/Showcase/my code modules

Storm8191(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi, for those of you who haven't seen this before, I've decided to release all the code modules of mine. You can pick them up here:
www.mindstormgames.com/projects/codelibs/index.html
I've been building over several years of using Blitz3D, and some of them are very good quality. I'm releasing these because I feel that they're too valuable to keep to myself. Although nobody could make money off these directly, I'm sure it would help many people out in the long run.

Anyway, rather than repeating the rest of what's on the page, I'll just be quiet now and let you read it. I'd like to know if anyone would find these useful.

MadJack(Posted 2005) [#2]
Storm8191

You're a champ.

I feel perhaps you haven't had the feedback you might have wanted on many of these modules because many aren't all that 'glamorous' (i.e shadows, flashy visual fx), but they are very useful in terms of low level stuff. I encourage people to make use of these.

Again - you're a champ and thank you.

MadJack(Posted 2005) [#3]

Storm8191(Posted 2005) [#4]
Heh, well thanks, MadJack. I'm glad you like them.

Yeah most are rather low-level, but should still be effective at what they do. I'm always looking for more module ideas to make, but it's sometimes hard to be general enough to have a decent module.

But anyway, thanks, I'm glad you like them.

DH(Posted 2005) [#5]
very nice indeed :-)

Storm8191(Posted 2005) [#6]
Thanks Dark Half, I'm glad you like them.

Would anyone here be willing to explain what they're using these modules for? Or are most of you simply viewing the code and finding ways to improve your own?

Storm8191(Posted 2005) [#7]
*bump*

Is anyone here totally against using someone else's code? I've done a lot of work to make these modules easier to pick up and use.

MadJack(Posted 2005) [#8]
Storm

I haven't answered because I haven't yet used them - I've downloaded them all and will refer to them/include them shortly, but haven't fully inspected them yet.

Sorry I can't be more specific at this time.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#9]
Mouselook and Message log look interesting Ill give them a look

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#10]
Good stuff, thanks for sharing! I have done most of these already in some form but it's always nice to see how others have done them. And there are some things like "Beacon" which really interests me because networking stuff is so hard (for me). Oh, and BTW, "http://www.mindstormgames.com/projects/codelibs/miscellaneous.zip" is missing.

Storm8191(Posted 2005) [#11]
Mustang: Thanks for noticing the missing file. Apparently I uploaded the actual source file (miscellaneous.bb) instead of the zip. But I fixed that now.

Slenkar: Let me know how well you like the modules. If you can think of anything to add to them, I'd be willing to consider adding it. I see nothing wrong with making modules such as these more robust - just so long as they can still be used generically.

Storm8191(Posted 2005) [#12]
*bump*

Does anyone here have any requests to make? Things they'd like to see? I can't promise anything but I'm open for ideas.