World Construction Set

Community Forums/Showcase/World Construction Set

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#1]

This is an editor I am working on to be used in a game I'm making (its an RPG). Still a lot more work needed on it but I would really like to port it to Max when the Max3D module comes along, so it might be a while before I continue with this.

Anyway, here is a demo if anyone would like to try it out.

http://www.stuartmorgan.5gigs.com/Files/WCS_0.4_Alpha_Demo.zip

If anyone creates something nice with this post up a screenshot!

Enjoy :-)

N(Posted 2005) [#2]
Utterly confusing to me, but it looks like you're doing a good job with it, so neato.

On another note, look at my work of art:

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thats pretty creative noel! :-)

I forgot the meshes are pickable, must fix that.

Utterly confusing to me

Is it hard to use, whats confusing?

N(Posted 2005) [#4]
It's just that I'm used to stuff like Wings3D and other programs where I don't really have to have any interface, just purely hotkey driven. So not really confusing, more that it's giving me trouble since I'm just used to other stuff.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#5]
looks good. I didn't test it so far, but the interface is impressive. How do you save a map? As a single Mesh, or does it use some loading code?

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#6]
It seems pretty good! I think it needs some features to quickly populate a larger area...It's a bit cumbersome having to place every tree or grass clump individually to create a forest or field.

Also there are some nasty clipping problems, but that might be because it's running in 16bit?

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#7]
How do you save a map? As a single Mesh, or does it use some loading code?

First it writes seperate files for terrain height data, terrain texture, mesh & entity data and some other stuff, and these then get packed into a single file and compressed.

I think it needs some features to quickly populate a larger area...It's a bit cumbersome having to place every tree or grass clump individually to create a forest or field.

Yeah I agree, havn't got round to doing stuff like that yet though.

Also there are some nasty clipping problems, but that might be because it's running in 16bit?

Yes I have been running it in 16bit to get some extra speed (32bit fixes the jaggies)

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#8]
I get a Runtime Error after it loads.

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#9]
I get TWO MAV's after it loads.... :/

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#10]
..TWO MAV's on this side of planet too..

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#11]
I get a Runtime Error after it loads.

What does the Runtime error say? (If its not a MAV)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#12]
TWO MAVS= Array out of bounds no doubt :)

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#13]
TWO MAVS= Array out of bounds no doubt :)

If its an array bug, how come it works on some systems and not others?

Would it help if I build the exe with debug enabled to find the problem?

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#14]
Does the intro screen show and start to load the program? (A couple of seconds before it MAV's)

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#15]
Okay try it now, re-download ^^^

If it still does not work could you tell me what it says in the debug_log.txt under Program Run Log.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#16]

If its an array bug, how come it works on some systems and not others?

Because it depends on where the array Over-runs to :)

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#17]
Changed it to 32bit graphics. :-)

Its not a MAV demo still is it?

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#18]
Trying now.

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#19]
Same thing... 2 MAVs

Oops double post....

Debug Log
World Construction Set Debug Log
Version: 0.4

System Specs
----------------------------------------
Cpu:               Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz -1701 MHz
Total physical memory: 2146418 Kb
Video memory: 124124 Kb

Program Run Log
Program started: 21:38:59

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#20]
Same thing... 2 MAVs

**** it!

What does the debug_log.txt say under Program Run Log?

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#21]
See above. On my accidental double post

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#22]
Seriously.. The only time ive seen a double mav is with an array out of bounds problem. Release a debug version of your EXE :)

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#23]
Yeah - it was a double mav. I'll try the new version. I REALLY want this tool.

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#24]
Okay new debug version also changed a few things. I kind of have to guess what is wrong if I cant get it to MAV myself!

If it still does not work post what it says in debug_log.txt under Program Run Log.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#25]
ARG! I STILL get the double MAV.

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#26]
..cooolllll....this time I get 3 cute , gentle, nice MAV's...

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#27]
:D

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#28]
Better change the name, there's already a software package called World Construction Set. Been around for years http://www.3dnature.com/

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#29]
He's asked for a debug log post :P I cant test it being at work- But why dont you follow what he asks? :P

I'd put money on it being an Array Out Of Bounds type error :P

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#30]
Better change the name, there's already a software package called World Construction Set. Been around for years

Its just a temporary name I didn't realise it was being used, once I think of a name for the game it will be "Game Name Construction Set" :-)

He's asked for a debug log post :P I cant test it being at work- But why dont you follow what he asks? :P

I specifically need to know if the lines,

System initialised successfully
Resources extracted successfully
World created successfully
Editor loaded successfully

write to the debug_log.txt under Program Run Log. Then I should have a rough idea where its happening.

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#31]
Hey works fine over here....cept I cant place any meshes. Aside from that, its pretty damned great! I like the worlds available to load.

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#32]
Hey works fine over here....cept I cant place any meshes. Aside from that, its pretty damned great! I like the worlds available to load.

Place a mesh by holding shift + left mouse click. There is a shortcut keys list in the help menu.

Very strange that is works for some people and not others.

:D

@No Enemies - Does that "smile" indicate its working now or are you smirking at my MAV misfortune?

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#33]
..interesting..after I completely delete previous instalation and again download stuff from new link and install, things working without magic MAV's...BlitzUI is used here?

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#34]
..interesting..after I completely delete previous instalation and again download stuff from new link and install, things working without magic MAV's...BlitzUI is used here?

Well that was the idea, I fixed the bug and updated the demo! Guess its working for everyone now then? (Sigh of relief) I only changed a few small things during the program loading stage, nothing to do with arrays Cygnus, I should have took that bet! ;-)

BlitzUI is used here?

Yes a slightly modified version of BlitzUI is used.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#35]
Heh, Actually i proved myself wrong last night too-

A program was suffering issues only on my machine- Found out the first problem was an animimage problem- Fixed.. now we're at 2nd defense though >.<

What was the problem then BTW? :P

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#36]
What was the problem then BTW? :P

I still dont know exactly, I changed the order some things loaded but thats it. I cant see how it made a difference but it obviously did! ????

The code was getting a bit messy plus it was written a while ago, definitely needs re-writing in OO friendly MAX, waiting for MAX3D though!

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#37]
My smile was in response to this:
this time I get 3 cute , gentle, nice MAV's...

It still isn't working.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#38]
*giggles* *Places £5 down*

*retracts £5*

if he gets a MAV and your exe is definitely a debug version.... it aint no array prob :P

Enemies, Did you fresh install it?

[edit]
Sorry- Im not actually involved with the project :P

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#39]
"fresh install?" You mean, delete all the files, then reinstall it again? If you mean that, no. I just replaced them.

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#40]
if he gets a MAV and your exe is definitely a debug version.... it aint no array prob :P

Well at least thats clear to me now! ;-P

It still isn't working.

What does it say in the debug_log.txt file that is created when the program is run. Look under Program Run Log and please someone tell me what is says so I can fix this!

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#41]
Oh my God!!! The debug was even worse!!

I got 5 MAVs and then a pause and then another MAV and then a WCS has to shutdown or something....

That didn't work.... :P

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#42]
What does it say in the debug_log.txt file that is created when the program is run. Look under Program Run Log and please someone tell me what is says so I can fix this!

Must I write that again? ^ :-)

How is possible to get so many MAVS? This is giving me a *major* headache! :-(

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#43]
Check your boundaries- not just arrays (i know :P :P)... This sounds really obvious due to the Error you're getting- But youre managing to try to write/read memory you shouldnt/havent said you were going to.

Tis the only thing i can think of.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#44]
OK...
Debug Log:
Program Run Log
Program started: 07:49:35

????

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#45]
I have the same log as No Enemies... Except for obviously
the time is different....

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#46]
Enemies...I just delete everything, and install again new copy of demo from new link..and its work this time...thats all..

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#47]
Right that log tells me that something is going wrong in the resource extraction stage but I cant see anything wrong with it. I added more stuff to be written to the debug_log in this new version so it should tell me exactly where its going wrong.

Okay try again http://www.stuartmorgan.5gigs.com/Files/WCS_0.4_Alpha_Demo.zip and report the program run log.

Thanks guys for your patience, I would have given up testing this a long time ago. :-)

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#48]
Hmmm... Same thing....

But the debug log's contents:
aka nothing.... :/
And I tried what Alien said, but no luck :(

EDIT: Ohhh... Nice Site! It looks prettyfull! http://www.stuartmorgan.5gigs.com/WorldCreator.htm

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#49]
Hmmm... Same thing....

But the debug log's contents:

aka nothing.... :/
And I tried what Alien said, but no luck :(

What the debug_log.txt was not created! Thats impossible because all I have changed since last time is to add morelines of text to the debug_log.txt to tell me where exactly its happening in the code!!! It shouldnt affect whether the file is created or not.

To hell with it I give up!!! (Steam coming out of ears) :-(

I'll have to find another computer to test/debug the actual code myself. (If it MAVS on the "another computer")

Anyway thanks to all the MAV testers. :-)

EDIT: Ohhh... Nice Site! It looks prettyfull! www.stuartmorgan.5gigs.com/WorldCreator.htm

Thanks. :-)

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#50]
I get this:
Program Run Log
Program started: 13:45:24
Welcome to the mav demo :-(

Starting resource extraction
Editor pack file was opened successfully
 - Icons extracted successfully
 - Images extracted successfully
 - Editor pack file successful
Textures pack file was opened successfully

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#51]
Thanks No Enemies that means the MAV(s) are cornered to just two lines. The two lines extract a resource in this case a texture, but the two lines are identical to the previous extractions (apart from filenames of course)

So this MUST mean there is something wrong with the packing .dll (doing strange things with memory), I'm using PackMachine by Pavel Merenkov, anyone had any problems with it?

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#52]
Try BlitzMediaLinker. It always works.

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#53]
Try BlitzMediaLinker. It always works.

I think I will lie this to rest now, gonna re-write it in Max anyway. Then I can use zlib for the packing.

If people that cannot get it to work would really like to try this out in its current form I can remove the packing system. Would that be better or is everyone fed up now? (I am)

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#54]
I REALLY want it!

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#55]
I REALLY want it!

Okay, new version with no packed resources *should* fix the problems, BUT if it doesn't there is nothing more I can do apart from re-write the program entirely! ;-)

Download - http://www.stuartmorgan.5gigs.com/Files/WCS_0.4_Alpha_Demo.zip

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#56]
It works now. Very nice program.

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#57]
It works now. Very nice program.

HAAALLLAAALLLUUUHHA!!! :-)

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#58]
Works for me too. :) Nice app. :)

Hee hee: "Welcome to the mav demo :-("

*Psst! Now is the time when you are supposed to throw up
your hands and scream, "VICTORY!!!!!!!!" while running around
in circles* ;p

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#59]
Hee hee: "Welcome to the mav demo :-("

Guess I can take that out now then! Cheers. :-D

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#60]
Heres some more recent screenshots. Havn't done shadows yet.

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#61]
Very nice looking! How did you make the trees?

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#62]
How did you make the trees?

In 3dsmax using Speedtree textures.

MadJack(Posted 2005) [#63]
It may not matter or you may already know, but there is a commercial software package titled 'World Construction Set'

http://www.3dnature.com/wcs6info.html

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#64]
It may not matter or you may already know, but there is a commercial software package titled 'World Construction Set'

Yeah I know, Ill change it to "Game Name Construction Set" when I know what the games going to be called.

Raitsun(Posted 2005) [#65]
hmmm.... Pong3D Construction Set....

Uncle(Posted 2005) [#66]
Very nice... Glad all the MAV stuff is fixed... Can I make a small suggestion... can we use the mouse roller to zoom in and out, or both mouse buttons down and the mouse to navigate?

Cheers,

Unc

Raitsun(Posted 2005) [#67]
very poweful tool....
i am doing a world/level crafter myself, using BlitzUI too..
and THIS has to be hell lot of work...

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#68]
Good looking so far dude!

Interestingly the Shift + Left Mouse to create a Mesh object only works using the right shift key on my PC.

IPete2.