Artillery style game (BMAX)

Community Forums/Showcase/Artillery style game (BMAX)

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#1]
This is a small project I'm currently working on it is far from finished (i.e: GUI and AI is on the todo list and maybe
multiplayer also) but here is a Demo to test it. It would be nice to let me know your opinion.

PS: Developed in BMAX

Link : http://www.brsoftware.de.vu/DL/
New Version file : Artillery05fixed.RAR (580kb)

Here are some new screenshots with added Graphics:

boomboommax(Posted 2005) [#2]
hey quite cool, might wanna change the particle effects and maybe work on the terrain more, would be easy to add netplay via gnet now!

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#3]
First thanks.

What Particle effects do you mean exactly? I know that the Rocket trail looks very bad. And for the multiplayer : I haven't done that before, so I have to try how it works overall. But I will never give up.

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#4]
It doesn't work here. I just get a black screen and then it quits.

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#5]
@fredborg

What Graphicscard do you have?
Does you have problems to start other OpenGL Apps?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#6]
klepto. It looks good so far but I think overall you've still got a lot of work to do on this.

I'm not sure what your control system is but you don't have any kind of display or buttons to click on etc (unless there is in the demo which I can't see).

Do you have a land-drop technique to make the earth fall or are you not bothering with that?

The turrets need a lot of work, they look very basic as they are, kinda like a marshmallow puff with a candy stuck on top. ;-)

I think you will eventually need to polish up the overall color scheme and balance. The background is overpowering. Red colors make it come forward. YOu might be better off with a blue/gray background and a red/orange landscape? Also the color scheme on the particle effect doesn't seem to match in terms of contrast and sharpness.

Some kind of mouse control would be preferable.

So far I don't see there being much in the way of strategy needed other than that you get the right angle and power to strike a hit. What other kinds of weapons and such will you be having? How will you make more use of the landscape?

And the big questions ... how will it be unique from other games like this?

Suco-X(Posted 2005) [#7]
Hi
I have the same problem like fredborg. PC Info in my Signature.
Mfg Suco

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#8]
@AngelDaniel

This is a really early Version.

1.The Graphics are all temporaly.
2.What do you mean with land-drop
3.I'm currently rewrite the whole code to make it multiplayer compatible and more handy to develope for me (If you see the current source you will cry and go crazy :) )
4.I will add more Weapons like Clusterbombs and so on.
5.Mouse control will be done together with a GUI.
6.I don't know if it will be unique. It's a game to test my
Terrain Engine (I'm currently rewrite it to get it more rough and to add a more advanced landscape).

Your big question : I really don't know. Maybe you are others had some Ideas. I'm open for any suggestion.

In fact: I have played this game on my good old C64 a few days ago and want to try to make a good remake. Because I thought it will be a good starting Project to learn more about 2d games and the behaviour of BMAX.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#9]
Klepto2,

That's cool. I just wondered how far you were thinking to take it.

As to `land-drop`, I don't know how many of these kind of games you've seen but most of them treat the land as though it is under the influence of gravity. For example, if you make an explosion that puts a circular hole in the landscape, some parts of the landscape might now overhang. You can do one of two things about that. Either you can make the overhanging bits `fall` until they come into contact with the land below, or you can leave it where it is. If you leave it where it is, you will eventually end up with pieces of land floating in the air with nothing attaching them to the `ground`.

Some games do the latter - for example Worms does that, and it tries to make it more plausible by adding a dark `background` land in the areas that are exploded. In other words, instead of just removing pixels when you get an explosion, you turn the pixels to black or some other dark graphic. That way it looks kind of as though a hole was blown in the `front` of the landscape and that there is still some land `behind` which `holds up` the floating pieces of land. It's a visual cue to make things more plausible. Otherwise you'll have land floating in the sky for no reason - which isn't very consistent given that your projectiles are susceptible to gravity. It would be confusing to see land floating when projectiles are falling.

As to the first method, where you actually treat the landscape as though it is made of `heavy` dirt which falls under certain conditions... usually this will mean that whenever you remove some dirt with an explosion you should then grab all of the particles which are directly above the explosion area and gradually animate them `falling` vertically. You usually have to do each `column` of pixels separately because some of the columns will `touch down` before the rest of them. Eventually the land falls and comes into contact with whatever land is below it, which fills in the holes. This ensures that you never have any `floating` pieces of land in the sky.

I hope that helps explain it. If you haven't seen that done in these kind of games before it might be hard to visualize. Scorched Tanks did this `land dropping`, as did Frontal Assault, but I think maybe Scorched Earth did not. I know Worms didn't. The thing with worms is they wanted to try and have `caves` or areas beneath chunks of land that you could move through without it falling on your head. They also wanted to be able to dig. It provides some extra options for gameplay.

If you are just going to have your explosions make holdes in the landscape and do nothing to try to simulate the effect of gravity on the parts of the land that are `less supported` from below, you are going to end up with land floating in the sky. I just wondered if you were planning to have that land fall or not for better effect. I've seen some algorithms that work out where the land should fall to and then draw the whole thing in its fallen state. There are others that draw the land as it falls at each Y location which is okay if you have the processing speed. Typically the graphics in these games used to be more limited by CPU power, especially on the Amiga, so have to sometimes put a limit on how sophisticated things looked. I think it was Frontal Assault that had `dirty` and `pretty` settings for how the land fell.

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#10]
I have an ATI X800 Pro graphics card as noted in my sig, and it has no problems with either opengl or directx.

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#11]
Error found. See next post.

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#12]
I have found the error. I have simply forgotten to add an Image to the Package, but you know somtimes the esiest things seems to be the hardest.

I have uploaded the image : it is called "test.jpg"

Simply copy it to the root folder. I will upload a fixed Package soon.

[Edit: New Package available (Use link of the first post)]

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#13]
Atomic Tanks looks like one of the best-looking artillery games I've seen. Anyone played it?

http://www.isotope244.com/games/acp/media.html

skyfire1(Posted 2005) [#14]
the particule effects are freakin sweet! =D