SWAT MMO game powered by BlitzMax

Community Forums/Showcase/SWAT MMO game powered by BlitzMax

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi,

Here's a small stupid game I made over the weekend. Featuring online play, chat and a big yellow SWATTER this is good clean family entertainment.

Give it a go and get SWATTING. And if you do please post if you actually manage to connect to a game...

* UPDATED NOW WITH MANUAL CONNECT AND CONFIGURABLE GAME PORT *
Download SWAT_Beta5.exe (~620Kb) Windows only for now...

And the obligatory boring screenshots:

If there is no game server available when you try it, you can start a new game which other people may join (unless you are behind a router or something which blocks connections). Unfortunately I cannot create a game server myself for these reasons, so I'll be lurking, waiting for someone to start one I can join :D

It uses both GNet and GNet...I'm confused too, so don't worry :)

Some of the dudes on IRC tried it out, and we had a good bashing :)

[edit]Oh, type "/nick newname" while playing to change your name... or anything else to insult someone... Esc will quit the game, returning you to the menu[/edit]

[edit again]If nobody joins a game you create, you are probably on a computer that doesn't accept incoming connections[/edit again]

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#2]
Linux version?!?! ;)

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#3]
Once it's stable, I'll get someone to compile for all platforms...For now, you need to reboot and start up windows :)

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#4]
The big problem with this, is that it is no fun when people cannot join a game... Apparently GNet reports a wrong IP address on the majority of computers (probably because they are behind a router of sorts), so if anyone knows how to get the proper IP it would be a lot easier to get a game started.

Ie. how to get the remote IP of the computer starting a new game locally. Something like DottedIP(HostIP()) or similar...

Any help would be appreciated!

Snarkbait(Posted 2005) [#5]
Kinda funny, one of the first things I did on Blitz a long time ago was a flyswatter game....

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#6]
Yes, it is by no means revolutionary, but it's good fun and a nice way of learning a bit about network code.

It now includes the ability to do a manual connect, by typing the correct ip address of a running game. If you have are running a local game, you can also type the name of the computer hosting the game.

maximo(Posted 2005) [#7]
why are you wasting time on this and not on the clouds thingy? ;)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#8]
Yeah! Why?

hey.. Wasn't this a FLash demo thing? cool.. I always wanted to swatt a mate...

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#9]
But where are the mates to swat? :(

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#10]
why are you wasting time on this and not on the clouds thingy? ;)

It's a bit hard to think about clouds when the sun is blazing from a clear sky...

I'm looking into the 'no mates to swat' problem...

Hey, someone succesfully hosted a game! Hats off to Oddball :D

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#11]
Worked like a charm! Was quite fun too. There was a bit of jumping around for such a simple game, but not too much.
I still can't get my head round programming net play. I keep getting loads of requests to add net play to Squelch! but I haven't got a clue where to start.

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#12]
Forgot to add that I won. :)