Stunt Car Racing revamp

Community Forums/Showcase/Stunt Car Racing revamp

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#1]
After a bit of a break playing with the rally game I decided to return to Stunt Car Racing (temporary name) because it's still the game I've always wanted to make.

It's just undergone a complete graphical overhaul with a new racing buggy and a new style track. I've also tweaked the physics to make it smoother and far less twitchy and thus much easier to control, so long as you go carefully with the turbo. I've also backed down the power oversteer a bit which means you can accelerate with confidence but still get the car sideways at will with a tap of the brake or a yank on the handbrake.

The car now has 5 (or 6??) gears, and the skid sfx have been tweaked to go from squeak to squall dep. upon the severity of the slide - it's a simple touch but makes it seem more dynamic and alive, as well as providing audio feedback in a slide. Still missing impact sounds though.

This test track layout is a simple oval with one open jump and one ledge jump, with a bit of crash fencing and gently banked corners. I've placed it in a big ocean because it looks nice.

So, some screenies [edit:just noticed the wheels are positined too high in the first 3 car renders - the rear axle doesn't line up, but it does in the game] -
The race car -

The race car ready at the start -

Heading into the first corner -

Taking the first corner -

In mid air over the main jump -

And finally 2 video clips of the game in action (about 7mb each with sound) - If you look carefully you can see me drift the car around the corners in the first video...you don't need to drive this way (probably slower than a neat lap) but it's fun to apply the handbrake and attempt to hold the slide :) The second vid shows some of the camera angles.
http://www.jameskett.dsl.pipex.com/SCR_1.zip
http://www.jameskett.dsl.pipex.com/SCR_2.zip

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#2]
Holy crap!!

I want this game! nice job!

The original was great, be sure to implement some of the original stuff like moving elements. Its like the dynamics of the original with better graphics.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#3]
Hey, it looks pretty nice. It's a good model, nice texturing. What would be nice to add is some kind of lighting/shadows as I find that regularly texture-mapped polygons tend to look a bit unrealistic without being properly lit/shadowed - it helps it to interact with the environment. maybe you can add some skid-marks to the track also, to make it more interactive? Otherwise it looks cool. Are you going to have loop-the-loop's and twisty tracks with jumps and stuff?

Snarkbait(Posted 2005) [#4]
Fantastic looking model.

xmlspy(Posted 2005) [#5]
Nice looking, and nice feel.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#6]
Give... demo... now...

Looks fantastic!

Be sure to get a proper lose-your-lunch drop in there -- nothing has beaten SCR yet for that truly sickening feeling (although GTA SA has a couple of pretty good drops).

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#7]
I wanna play it. I really enjoyed playing stunt car racer on the amiga.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#8]
haha, Excellent :) one of my all time favourite all time favourite games :)

Glad that someones doing a quality remake. I considered maybe trying to do it myself back in the Aerial Antics days. But seing someone good was doing it I dodn't see the point. Can't wait to get to drive it :)

TeaVirus(Posted 2005) [#9]
I can't wait to play this!! I loved SCR on the Amiga!

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#10]
Really nice car model! But where's the seat & driver? :)

Bump up the road texture resolution, it looks now quite low-res compared to the car?

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#11]
Yeah, the car model deserves a nice, bright, detailed enviornment without deviating too much from the stunt car racer track style.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#12]
Thanks for the feedback.

What would be nice to add is some kind of lighting/shadows

It is entirely lightmapped, although the test track has nothing to cast shadows so it's a bit hard to tell at the moment.

maybe you can add some skid-marks to the track also

Nice idea - if I can work out how to make them follow the track surface I'll have a go. Otherwise I might texture in a dark racing line and perhaps some dark braking zones onto the track surface.

Be sure to get a proper lose-your-lunch drop in there

That's the next thing to do - I need to mockup a track like the original Drawbridge or SkiJump and see how the car copes with a)climbing steep hills, b)really steep drops and c)turning right!

But where's the seat & driver?

Ah, that means me modelling a person (shudder). Still, I intend to use the ragdoll source code I posted a while ago to provide a ragdoll driver - the idea is to fix his hands and feet to the car and let his body rattle around in the cockpit, so you can see the effect the motion has on him. I might try the Flatout thing of flying ragdoll driver also.

a nice, bright, detailed enviornment

It's a bit darker than the original, but I wanted to keep the colours reasonably bright - the lightmapped shadows are quite dark so I can brighten that up a bit.

*(Posted 2005) [#13]
will it have multiplayer like the original

mrtricks(Posted 2005) [#14]
Looks and sounds great - the only sound I thought was missing was a nice big crunch when the car lands after a jump. Would also be nice to see quite a lot more particles in there but I realise that might affect performance.

Will there be a track editor?

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#15]
Will there be a track editor?

Hmm, I do have a track editor where you build up a track like Scalextric, and it works really well. The only problem is that you lose the lightmapping with such a system - the current test track is a single mesh which is lightmapped.

I'm torn between using a track editor which lets you build some really superb and dangerous tracks, and making single mesh tracks which you can make look nicer.

Perhaps I could add the portable lightmapper code to the track editor....?

the only sound I thought was missing was a nice big crunch when the car lands

Yes, it really does need some sfx for impacts - I want to add a few different sounds so the car creaks and groans as it corners also, but I'm not sure about the chassis damage meter the original SCR had.

will it have multiplayer like the original

absolutely - that's the thing I'm really making it for - AI cars are OK and can be quite fun, but multiplayer is just the best.

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#16]
For the seat and driver: Never heard of "Knight Rider" :D

Will it have a map editor?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#17]

I'm torn between using a track editor which lets you build some really superb and dangerous tracks, and making single mesh tracks which you can make look nicer.

Track editor. TRACK EDITOR TRACK EDITOR TRACK EDITOR! :D

Perhaps I could add the portable lightmapper code to the track editor....?

Addmesh the finished track, then Portable lightmap code it. :D

[/quote]
the only sound I thought was missing was a nice big crunch when the car lands
[/quote]

I hope this wont be too dificult. In the car engine we can do it but it requires a poly>poly (cube) check. Slow as hell, so its disabled. it makes a HUGE difference though....

but I'm not sure about the chassis damage meter the original SCR had.

Add it, but make it disablable in "easy mode" or something.. Sometimes i like the challenge, but others, i like to throw it around, see it get crunched, but not blow up and get game over because of it.

GREAT work mate :D

EOF(Posted 2005) [#18]
but I'm not sure about the chassis damage meter the original SCR had
I think instead of the meter you could have things like:

* windscreen cracks appearing
* black smoke bellowing out of the rear
* busted suspension
* steering faults
* engine failure
* write-off!

I tell you something else that would enhance the feeling of speed ...

When using the turbo boost start up a high-pitched tone or hiss which gets higher and higher. If you have ever played Super Hangon you'll know what I mean about the extra sound kicking in.
Also a screen vibration would add to the effect.

The remake is coming along beautifully.

nawi(Posted 2005) [#19]
omg this looks so awesome!

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#20]
GREAT work mate :D

Thanks Cygnus :)

I hope this wont be too dificult. In the car engine we can do it but it requires a poly>poly (cube) check

Well, I already have impact checks working (Tokamak can return the impact forces etc...) so I can tell where and how hard the wheels or body are hitting the collision mesh.

Hwoever, it's only in as a quick hack currently so I need to get a proper system sorted out. I'd quite like to be able to break the wheels off if you hit something hard enough.

Track editor. TRACK EDITOR TRACK EDITOR TRACK EDITOR!

I take it you'd prefer a track editor then...?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#21]

I'd quite like to be able to break the wheels off if you hit something hard enough.

Neat idea. Ive been unable to acheive this, however, i just had an idea :) hehe..

I take it you'd prefer a track editor then...?

Dude, this would make one hell of a game, and the freedom a track editor gives you.. *dreams*. so, err... Yep.

By the way, did ya get my email?

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#22]
By the way, did ya get my email?

I did yes, thanks - just sent you a reply with a link to the ODE DLL source code, which I've found at last. Let me know if it's useful to you.

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#23]
I want to play!!!!!! :)

nice work Vorderman...

(any plans for early playable demo soon?!?! ;))

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#24]
Excellent model there and nicely textured.

I recommend you get yourself along to a good theme park and try out the rollercoasters several times to get a feel for track design and smooth motion.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#25]
Thanks Steve.

Here's a WIP model of the driver to go in the racecar - currently he's a power-ranger leather-clad biker, which seems OK to me. No minor texture details yet (creases, folds etc.. all to go in next).

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#26]
Getting better - textured jacket now, looks a little less like a Power Ranger....

nawi(Posted 2005) [#27]
Very nice looking!

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#28]
Completed the driver model -

nawi(Posted 2005) [#29]
If you need beta testers email me :)! I need to get something new for my PC Wheel.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#30]
Got the driver in the car, with head movement and arm movement to turn the steering wheel...all he needs now is a seat to sit in...

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#31]
Looks awesome with the drivwe. Fallout style driver throws would be pretty cool. The face is a nice touch.

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#32]
---

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#33]
Great work Vorderman! Everything looks very good. Can't wait to try this one out.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#34]
Dam...

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#35]
Dam what?

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#36]
There is one thing i'd reccomend- Using Anistropic filtering instead of blitz default mipmapping or no mipmapping... :)

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#37]
OK - how do I do that?

Réno(Posted 2005) [#38]
there are strange things with the car :
-the mufflers should not be infront the driver.
-the strange thing on the engine is not the best for the driver's visibility.
-I don't see the use of the 2 things on each side of the car. Are they for cooling the engine ? So they should be hollow and there angle should be opened more for a better draft. Are they here just to make the car nicer ? So they should not be opened on the side.

You could make something to prevent water/mud spatters.

That's just some ideas ;) For the 3D part... sorry I can't give my opinion, I know nothing in 3D ;)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#39]
Vorderman,

To use anistropic filtering by code, You'll need to use another external DLL.

I'll email it to you tomorow as i dont have the link handy :)

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#40]
-the mufflers should not be infront the driver.
-the strange thing on the engine is not the best for the driver's visibility.

As you can see it's because of the style of the original game, which many people will feel nostalgic about. Plus, some cars will actually mount exhaust there with even longer tubes going up for mud racing. Dunno about the side bits. I see what you mean - they are a bit out of place, although i didn't notice until you mentioned them. I'd either bring the fronts in a bit or leave them as they are.

A bit of dirtying up could help a bit but it depends on the style. To match the track, it would be nice. If the track style was changed to more cartoony coloring I'd leave the car as is.

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#41]
I see a dog! :)

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#42]
Ah. hehehe. I had it in cache and didn't know underdogs doesn't let you link to images from websites...

Found one from a different site.

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#43]
Those side pod things are just there to give the sides of the car more shape - technically I suppose it could have the radiators mounted in those little inswept ducts towards the rear, but to be honest I just copied the shape of a dune buggy and then put the engine at the front.

As you can see it's because of the style of the original game

Exactly - I did think about a rear-mounted engine, which would probably fill the back of the rollcage nicely, but 95% of the time you wouldn't see it (the cockpit view is the best for driving) so it'd be wasted, and the original has the engine up front with the exhaust flames, which I wanted to keep. Plus, the flames change colour when using the boost, which looks nice.

the strange thing on the engine is not the best for the driver's visibility

I assume you mean the big round air filter - it's not in the way and is lower than the driver's eyeline, so I'm not worried about it.

To use anistropic filtering by code, You'll need to use another external DLL.

I'll email it to you tomorow as i dont have the link handy :)

thanks Cygnus, looking forward to trying that out - Blitz's filtering is either really blurry or off, so some sort of decent halfway would be good.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#44]
Heyup. I'm at work, so can't email you the stuff, but i did find the thread with a working link.

www.tomspeed.com/texture_filters/texture_filters_dll.zip

(http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=40848#526074)

All i did to this was cut out the guts, put it in an include and make it fail quietly defaulting to normal mipmapping, so this should do you :)

Be carefull though- Tom's made a few DLL tests with the same filenames, which caused me hell. I still havent fixed them, But if you edit the Userlibs file and rename the DLL, you should be fine.

This is one of the things i beleive blitz *needs* built in :)

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#45]
Cheers, I'm at work too so I'll have to wait until tonight to try it out.

This is one of the things i beleive blitz *needs* built in :)

Yep, Blitz's defauly mipmapping is pretty terrible.

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#46]
Best Blitz project I've seen in a long time

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#47]
Any luck with the Anistropic Filtering? I forgot to email my mod of the code across...

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#48]
Heh, no probs : I forgot to check my email anyway...:)

I'll give it a try tonight if I get a chance.

Foppy(Posted 2005) [#49]
The videos are stunning! The engine sound is great too, vrom vrom vroooom... and that cool "brgggb kkkggbrr bbbgrgr" sound inbetween! ;)

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#50]
[quote]vrom vrom vroooom... brgggb kkkggbrr bbbgrgr/quote]
excellent!! I'll have to listen to it again now and see if I can hear those noises... :) Thanks for the comments also.

I think it now sounds a bit different to the vids as I've given the power-on engine effect a bit more oomph. Also there is now a whooooosshhh + whine noise for the turbo. I'm going to add a wind rush noise and/or a tyre roar noise as well to emphasise the speed.

EOF(Posted 2005) [#51]
Also there is now a whooooosshhh + whine noise for the turbo. I'm going to add a wind rush noise and/or a tyre roar noise as well to emphasise the speed
Good news! Gran Turismo 4 uses wind rush/tyre noise and it sounds awesome. Definately adds to the excitment.

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#52]
multiplayer! PLEASE!

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#53]
this is some of the most amazing screenies I have seen Awsome textures too !

popey(Posted 2005) [#54]
That is stunning. The movies are great.

paultheaxeman(Posted 2005) [#55]
Great start to the project, I hope you see it through. The videos look great. Definately brings back memories.

Caff(Posted 2005) [#56]
This is looking really good, what happened to that other rally game you were working on? I have to say this looks miles more fun.

DH(Posted 2005) [#57]
Wow, nice feel and look!

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#58]
Dam... as in dammmm, looks great!

coffeedotbean(Posted 2005) [#59]
enough all ready DEMO DEMO DEMO!!!!!!!!

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#60]
what happened to that other rally game you were working on

It didn't really work out with a streaming track using B3D - I'm waiting for the 3d module for BMax to give it a try with that - for it to work as a circuit racer I had to get multicar collisions + AI working, and that's difficult, so I'd prefer it to be a straight single-car rally game. Perhaps once the BMax 3d module arrives I'll start work on it again.

I have to say this looks miles more fun.

I agree - the rally game was fun to do, but I'd originally messed with various Stunt Car programs and it's the one I've always wanted to do.

enough all ready DEMO DEMO DEMO!!!!!!!!

Not just yet I'm afraid - (real) work + hols etc.. all get in the way, but such is life.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#61]
Hows this going? :-D

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#62]
What Cygnus said.

Vectrex(Posted 2005) [#63]
you wouldn't believe how much I played the original :D
I'm so happy

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#64]
Hows this going? :-D

Not done anything else to the game recently....too busy building the real thing... :)

EOF(Posted 2005) [#65]
Wooah. Your car render sure has come a long way!

Are you going to be tearing around a race track jumping over gaping holes in that motor?

Vorderman(Posted 2005) [#66]
Heh, tearing around a race track...yes, jumping over holes...no (I hope).

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#67]
oh MAN, thatd be cool :D