BlitzMax Debugger

Community Forums/Showcase/BlitzMax Debugger

N(Posted 2005) [#1]
I've been working on a stand-alone debugger for BlitzMax since.. yesterday. Ha. But anyways, it's written using C# and .NET 2.0 (because 1. it's pretty and 2. it's bloody awesome and 3. the debugger in Visual C# 2005 is the best I've ever used). Anyhow, since I use Protean I have to either go through the console debugger or use Protean's debugger and pray to God that I actually see the window for the program I'm debugging (never happens, by the way).

So, I began work on this little piece..

The big blank thing in the middle is where the active source file(s) go -- not syntax highlighted, I gave some thought to this and discussed it with some folks on IRC and we all came to the conclusion that it's completely unneccessary for a debugger. The code for viewing source code and all that is already finished (and I've tested it, so I know it works), just in the screenshot I didn't load any executables because I'm working on grabbing console output and that's sortof borked right now 'cause for some reason the Process.ErrorDataReceived event isn't firing.

Anyhow, tree-view on the left shows all the current stack frames and such and lets you view the stack.

Textbox on the bottom is for console output, and you can toggle debugger and standard output on and off in case you want to see only one kind (it's handier than it sounds).

Obviously all the regions are resizable and such. Toolbars cannot be moved, but they can be hidden if you're some weird masochistic git who likes it that way.

And, last but not least, as soon as I'm finished I'll release it for free with all project files and source code (and binaries). Only downside? You need the .NET Framework 2.0. And trust me, complaining about it won't get me to change it ;)

Anywho, that's the scoop on one of the latest thingers I'm working on.

Ziltch(Posted 2005) [#2]
This looks very handy.

ziggy(Posted 2005) [#3]
This problem with the errorDatareceived was drivingme crazy while I was making the BLIde debuger, and finaly I've managed to make it work by reading StandardOutput and StandardError on different threads.
(Hope you find this info useful).

N(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks, Ziggy, that's really useful :)

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#5]
Hey hey Noel, good luck with this project. BlitzMax needs a good 'un with a power rating that matches the good ol' RWEDebugger for Blitz 2... =]

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#6]
Cool!

ziggy(Posted 2005) [#7]
Can you make it open a exe for debuging as a parameter??? this way, your debuger could be easily integrated in any IDE.

N(Posted 2005) [#8]
Okee dokee.