Skinned mesh demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Skinned mesh demo

Sweenie(Posted 2005) [#1]
I finally managed to get skinned meshes working.
Download the demo below to see it in action(win32 only).

I've included the bmx sourcecode, but it won't compile.
Some of the wrapped functions are called directly but will eventually be placed inside types.

http://www.svenberra.net/skinmesh.zip

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#2]
this is verrrry nice Sweenie...

question...

the dxengine.dll, is that something your developing, a dx game engine of sorts for bmax...

the animation... is it from a canned source, or did you do it yourself... verrrrry nice and smooth by the way...

--Mike

Sweenie(Posted 2005) [#3]
the dxengine.dll just wraps a bunch of functions and classes from DirectX 9.
DirectX handles the loading and rendering of resources and such while Bmax manage them.

The model is from the DirectX SDK.

I'm pretty pleased with my entity-system so far.

for example:

Model:ModelEntity = ModelEntity.Load("mymesh.x") loads a mesh as a static mesh and automatically create the materials and load the textures.

Model:ModelEntity = ModelEntity.LoadAnim("mymesh.x") loads the mesh as an animated mesh(if the mesh contain animations that is)

If I want to change a texture on the loaded mesh I simply call...
Model.GetMaterial(MaterialIndex).SetTexture( TexturePool.Get("newtexture.jpg") )

The TexturePool contains a list of all loaded textures and if a texture is requested that is already loaded, it will return a reference to that one.

I use a lot of the functions in the DirectX Utility library (D3DX).
It contains ALOT of awesome helper functions and basically contains everything you'll ever need in a renderengine.
For instance, the AnimationController which handles blending of several animations using different tracks.
I use it in the demo to blend in the waving motion.

Currently I'm using the December 2004 SDK as the newer ones requires files that doesn't come with the default DirectX 9 installer.
But the newest SDK has an interesting tool called Atlas which is an advanced UV-map generator.