Toon Game

Community Forums/Showcase/Toon Game

SabataRH(Posted 2005) [#1]
Was looking through my code archives last night and ran across a game we was working on a few years back... It was trashed for 'untold' reasons but I thought it may give someone a few ideas in their own projects....

Have a look and play:

http://www.aliencodec.com/temp/toon.zip [13mb]

Usage: mouselook, LMB to swing hands/weps, RMB to move forward, 'I' for inventory, Return to use objects ( chests/switches), shift-esc to exit., spacebar to Jump

Thanks to Tranz and Blackwidow for whom without - this project would have gone far less than it did...

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#2]
Reminds me of that one graphical adventure game with a cartoon-looking main guy character and a pretty basic control system. A totally different engine, just reminded me of the look.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#3]
Too bad you had to add it to the majority club (of unfinished stashed projcts).

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#4]
Reminds me of that one graphical adventure game with a cartoon-looking main guy character and a pretty basic control system

Dragon quest? the dullest adventure game in history, the makers of which should've had lawsuits brought against them for prematurely wearing out your floppy drive.

Neuro(Posted 2005) [#5]
Dragon's Lair?

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#6]
that's the one! The rest of my statement holds true though.

SabataRH(Posted 2005) [#7]
Heh apprently you never played Dragon's Lair then. DL was a 100% coin-op toon game where you only decided actions like Left,Right,Forward,Backward at certain points in the game.. DL also never appeared on any old system's that were floopy based only. I can't even recall the original DL on any console systems or PC anywhere... The more modern verison of Dragons Lair appeard on the Xbox and Pc however.

Original - http://www.klov.com/D/Dragon's_Lair.html

Modern - http://games.teamxbox.com/xbox/44/Dragons-Lair-3D/

SoggyP(Posted 2005) [#8]
Hello.

Dragons Lair was released for the C-64 (and speccy?). In fact, on the C-64 if I remember correctly it pioneered asynchronous IO by loading the next level while you were playing - bearing in mind it was on tape, it was also a but of a 'mare. It might have been release for the miggy at some point too.

Still, it WAS pants to play, though fun to watch someone who knew what they were doing.

Goodbye.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#9]
Heh, Dragons Lair...

I modified a broken BBC Basic project i got off a tape once and added more monsters and a shop.

Why thered be a shop inside a castle for i have no idea, but, back then, 6,000 lines of code.

I re-wrote it in blitz a year or so back... I need to tweak the generation, but i'll post it and its source up. f/b/l/r, Options (where you could use medipack). when you hit an enemy you could cast,fight or run... When you beat an enemy you got various items like beans for energy or blue/red rings for magic.

heh. quite fun actually, my bro loved it anwyay!

SabataRH(Posted 2005) [#10]
Commodore 64! ahh forgot about that version - your correct it was released on the c64... Ahh the memories ...

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#11]
Yes that's the one, it was on the Amiga, but I never saw it in person.

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#12]
Alienhead, the game is giving me a MAV when I try to run game.exe

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#13]
Heh apprently you never played Dragon's Lair then. DL was a 100% coin-op toon game where you only decided actions like Left,Right,Forward,Backward at certain points in the game.. DL also never appeared on any old system's that were floopy based only.

except the Amiga version.
http://www.aminet.net/search.php?query=dragons+lair

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#14]
Nevermind about the MAV. I had SharpE running when I tried to run game.exe and it gave me a MAV. I switched back into Explorer and it worked. Nice game you have here, keep working on it!

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#15]
Dragon's Lair I, Dragon's Lair I Plus (or Director's Cut, or Special Edition, or whatever it was called) and Dragon's Lair II were available for the Amiga. Possibly Dragon's Lair III as well. I had demo discs for the first three I mentioned...

Bad idea providing demos of 'games' like them ;]

Russell(Posted 2005) [#16]
DL is available as a playable game on DVD! You use the arrows and 'ok' on your remote.

Also, there's the Daphne project (http://www.daphne-emu.com/). Basically, it works like MAME except you'll need an MPEG2 version of the entire DL Video Disc (available online if you know where to look ;) ) and the audio file converted to Ogg format.

Or, you can also use the original disc, if you have it, if you have a laser disc player with an RS232 or parallel port.

I have the Mpeg2/ogg version of DL, DL2, Space Ace and about 6 more and they all work perfectly!

On the C-64 version, I had it and, although it was fun it was not really the same game (tough as s**t, though!).

Russell

Neuro(Posted 2005) [#17]
DL also never appeared on any old system's that were floopy based only. I can't even recall the original DL on any console systems or PC anywhere

Actually, there was a PC port back during the days of EGA gaphics(very early 90's if i recall correctly). I bugged my mom until she bought it for me.....and although it followed the same cartoony look and levels(with 16 colors!!), it really was not impressive and everything was all about figuring out what keys to push at the right time. I did managed to beat it though!

There was also a release for the NES, which you can still find floating somewhere over the net....and good luck to anyone passing the first level...:p

SoggyP(Posted 2005) [#18]
Hello.

So what we're saying then is that just about every platform around has had a conversion of Dragons Lair at some point.

Goodbye.

JustLuke(Posted 2005) [#19]
I love those old interactive cartoons. Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair 2: Timewarp and Space Ace are fantastic to me, but most people disagree. Maost of the other laserdisc games were pretty shoddy though.

Russell(Posted 2005) [#20]
I 100% agree with you Lemort. I have almost every laser disc game there was (via Daphne) and I can tell you that DL\DL2\Space Ace (all Don Bluth\Cinematronics games) were lightyears ahead of everyone else.

What happened was that they had such a huge headstart (several years to animate, etc) over the competition that they had to scramble to get something out there, even if it was crap. In fact, many of the laser disc games out there were nothing but 4-8 fps asian cartoons, which supposedly passes as animation, that were converted to a 'playable' video disc game. Funny thing, though. DL\DL2\SA have a total running time of about 45 minutes, whereas most of these other 'games' had a video running time of less than 20 (and at a much crappier 12 or less FPS).

Yes, they were\are freakin hard! But they dominated the video game market for a while because at the time, the power of traditional video arcade game systems was quite limited. (less than 10mhz for the most part, and 32 colors max, if you were lucky!) People were simply blown away.

Russell