clou[d] evolves...

Community Forums/Showcase/clou[d] evolves...

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi,

As most of you won't know a project sitting on my harddrive for a long time, is called clou[d]...(cunning innit)...and while it has gathered it's fair share of dust, I've started playing around with it again.

So here are a few screenshots of what it does, and a small video clip (DivX 3.3Mb)...

While that probably didn't clear much up, it is a program for generating skies (and clouds of course) and sky cubes, panoramas or hemispheres. It's still very much not done, but it's moving again...

(Oh, and almost realtime too, between 2 and 5 seconds to render a frame (in BlitzMax of course))

Stuart Morgan(Posted 2005) [#2]
Those shots looks awesome. I wouldnt be able to tell the difference between a real-life sky and them!

Any chance of it becoming "full on" realtime in the future? (maybe with reduced detail)

*edit* - I would be very much interested in purchasing such a system

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#3]
Well, real-time sky images generally look much worse than that :D

Amazing work Fredborg, as always!

Oddball(Posted 2005) [#4]
Wow. That vid is amazing. Gonna keep an eye on this one.

N(Posted 2005) [#5]
Can I request a 1280x960 wallpaper?

Rimmsy(Posted 2005) [#6]
Yeah!

I knew I'd see screenies eventually. And boy, it looks 1000% better than I thought. I'd buy it just for a screensaver.

Caff(Posted 2005) [#7]
Looks amazing!

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#8]
Can I request a 1280x960 wallpaper?

You could do a 1280*1024 animated gif and have it in a web page on your desktop. oooooh...

Yan(Posted 2005) [#9]
Blimey...My gob has been well a truly smacked!

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#10]
Nice!

maximo(Posted 2005) [#11]
In two years this is running real time in BlitzMax and it's most sold blitzMax module. That's my predition :D

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#12]
Yeah, something like this ( http://www.microsoft.com/games/flightsimulator/weather.asp ) would be nice... check the HQ video:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/e/3/9e3a5abd-fb2f-44a0-abcb-348d38449de0/clouds_highband.wmv

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#13]
Woah. This is excelent man! Keep it up :)

Psionic(Posted 2005) [#14]
Simply Stunning ;-0

maximo(Posted 2005) [#15]
btw this is in blitzmax? How do you do 3d in BlitzMax? Or is this pure 2d effect?

semar(Posted 2005) [#16]
Nice one fredborg, the clouds move as they were real, I really like it.

Keep on m8,
Sergio.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#17]
hmm. You should create 6 videos, and create an animated skybox. That would so rock!

If you cant release the above, Make a video of it. itd be almost like a dream and not-seen-in-game before. (that i know of....)

maximo(Posted 2005) [#18]
you must be thinking now that you are on something big here ;) and perhaps you are!

FischGurke(Posted 2005) [#19]
This... is... whoa! :-O

*dies*

cinema 4d's cloud effect looks as good as this, but it takes ages to render... very impressive if you can do it in 2 secs!

Red(Posted 2005) [#20]
impressive
You made a miracle with this code.

An advanced skydome plugin for giles would be great.

EOF(Posted 2005) [#21]
Seriously excellent fredborg.
Are you aming to produce skys based on time or season (sunset, sunrise, mid-day, evening etc..) ?

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#22]
*splutter* *picks jaw up from floor*
Very awesome indeed! Keep on it! That looks so damned cool!
Kudos!

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#23]
Anyway that can be ported to a 3D graphics app for professionals. Possibly import camera data from Maya/Max/Lightwave. Doesn't even need to render in real time, just save out frames. I could see a lot of use for something like this in the animation industry.

Snarkbait(Posted 2005) [#24]
fredborg = God

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#25]
Well he created the heavens, but I see no Earth in those screenshots =]

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#26]
You the man, dog.

Don't suppose that's real time by any chance? (Edit:Must learn to read thread before posting. or simply must learn not to post)

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#27]
erm... wow.

Amon_old(Posted 2005) [#28]
Top stuff again from freddy borgy. :)

Dirk Krause(Posted 2005) [#29]
Very cool stuff.

JoshK(Posted 2006) [#30]
Can you get this out? I could use some skyboxes like that. I just need a static pre-rendered cubemap.

Your stuff is way too good for you to be marketing to 13-year-olds. You should get some investors and start marketing to real companies.

Filax(Posted 2006) [#31]
Great ! like alway !

Red Ocktober(Posted 2006) [#32]
really fantastic lookin' stuff...

bmax??? 3d??? can you talk any...

:)

--Mike

big10p(Posted 2006) [#33]
Fredborg says it's bmax, in his OP, Red.

t3K|Mac(Posted 2006) [#34]
where is clou[d]? fredborg give ouuuuut! please!

Booticus(Posted 2006) [#35]
YEAH! I just asked about this in another thread!!!

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#36]
Fred's not talk to us - his heads in the clou[d]s .

Wow - that moving clip is awesome, am I to understand that the skyboxes will animate?

IPete2.

Steven Noyce(Posted 2006) [#37]
Yeah, I am realy interested in clouds right now. These are the best I have seen!
Any chance that I could get clou[d]?
Any chance of a demo?
More movies?
More screenshots?

Could you explain how you made this program? I know it is probably way complicated and over my head and you probably don't want to share your briliant idea, but I realy want to make something similar (not anywhere as good, but I can always dream, right?).

Is this 3d or 2d?
Do you use sprites, or how in the world did you make this?
Will you talk to us at all?
Please?

ashmantle(Posted 2006) [#38]
its sexy!

as in, I would buy this for my 3d work which does not include games, as its really that sexy!

Barnabius(Posted 2008) [#39]
Sorry to dig the old tread from the depths, but I am curious about the fate of clou[d]. Any chance of it ever been finished so that we can get our greedy little hands on it? ;-)

Barney

Taron(Posted 2008) [#40]
Very impressive. You know, Fredborg, you should consider giving out a lowres demo to satisfy the disbelievers, haha. This thing may well become your legacy, Mr.! Looks phenomenal.

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#41]
I think Gile{s} is pretty much the legacy of fredborg so far, but looks like his game will surpass that.

Taron(Posted 2008) [#42]
Oh yes, Frecle looks pretty wonderful already. Reminds me remotely of the little big planet thing or what that's called (PS3 game). Gorgeous! Good luck with that already, I'm sure it'll be a hit!

Gile looks impressive, too, very true! Good name, too, HAHA! 8D

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#43]
His game's name is Youropa last I checked. The cloud system looks nice, would be a shame to be forgotton.

Nate the Great(Posted 2008) [#44]
wow!!!! this is great...

does anyone know how he did this?

Taron(Posted 2008) [#45]
I have a remote idea how he may have done this, but it's just one approach...

Spritebased layers of cloud slices, probably filled with a fractal and lit somewhat like a bump, but with altered shading method. Each layer then blends over previous layers by some blending method. In the most primitive ways this could've been additive, but for the lighting complexity I would assume he's using some other type of accumulation...

Just an idea...

Naughty Alien(Posted 2008) [#46]
..is that lib for B3D available anyway??

MGE(Posted 2008) [#47]
"(Oh, and almost realtime too, between 2 and 5 seconds to render a frame (in BlitzMax of course))"

You could fake it in 3d with polys and such, but this "probably" uses sprite clusters with additive blending, etc, etc. But wow...the algo used to generate the clouds and their movement is very, very impressive!

Taron(Posted 2008) [#48]
Woops, Dave, I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I just searched for you (I hate to say "googled") and found out a lot of fascinating things about you! Atari Legend, hehehe... very cool!

Anyway, I was gonna ask you something, but I can't do it here...hmmm...

As for the clouds, the big kicker in the little clip is the clever composition of the different types of clouds! This man pays good attention and has a beautiful sense of style. Ingenuity in good hands, I'd say! ;)

MGE(Posted 2008) [#49]
lol.. email me anytime at: dmunsie at yahoo zot zom :)

Chroma(Posted 2008) [#50]
I figure if I wait long enough...Fred will write all the little apps I need to finish my flight sim!!1! XD

Xip(Posted 2008) [#51]
Holy... crap...
Just noticed this project for the first time, and I'm simply blown a way...

It looks so good, it almost feels fake, even tho I'm sure it is not :)

truly amazing!

to bad it cant render in realtime, it would be one bitchin screensaver xD

but there is no news on this, it's a very old topic ?:(