Iron Fist Engine Test

Community Forums/Showcase/Iron Fist Engine Test

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have uploaded a new version of my Iron Fist kung fu platform game. It is an old-school action platformer that has been brought up to date in a few areas. There are 6 mini-levels including 4 tutorial levels. I must stress that this is a "work in progess" just to test out the engine and some concepts. However, it is totally playable from start to end, but it does not reflect what the finished product will look or feel like.

Get it here: http://www.jbcomputersolutions.com/ironfist.shtml

Have a go and let me know what you think of it so far. If you get poor frame rates please let me know your PC specifications. Thanks in advance.

Enjoy!

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#2]
And where to get it from?

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#3]
oops, sorry, link posted

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#4]
blue text on black background = bad.

(downloading demo now)

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#5]
it's actually pretty damn good.
I never found a shop to spend my money in, is that intentional?

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#6]
It'S really nice. He alreay said that this is not the finished
Version. So I think the shop is in work.

Maybe 1 thing to add: Maybe you could make the animations a bit smoother.

nawi(Posted 2005) [#7]
me likes. The kicking sounds were abit annoying though

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#8]
Glad u all liked it. I've been on holiday for a week so it was nice to come back to some positive comments. Sorry there is no shop yet. Much more is planned for the game such as an adventure element where you need to get keys, objects, solve puzzles etc as well as beat people up. The main guys will have proper graphics and animations for attacks (is that what you meant klepto2?). Nawi: sorry you didn't like the kick sound, it is a bit silly, in fact it might be Bruce Lee.

As I said, I have tried to make it a really good updated platformer which is why it has stuff like slopes, bumpy ground, pixel perfect collision, layered scenery, sliding physics etc. It was actually quite hard to code and I still have a 12 page to do list, but realistically some of that will have to go into a V2. I have checked out a lot of other platformers as research and found many to be lacking. Although I am aware that just being technically good isn't enough. Thing is these days with Doom3 etc I am not sure people can really appreciate a good platformer when they see one as they see all platformers as bad/dated. Maybe my game will appeal to the retro fans a bit more. We'll see.

Perturbatio: thanks for the website feedback. It really is just a simple site at the moment just to get the game out there, it will need some proper design eventually.

Najdorf(Posted 2005) [#9]
that's awesome stuff :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#10]
Najdorf: thanks dude it means a lot after the hard work I have put in.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#11]
OK, updated the demo so it has 6 levels, some bug fixes, better fade, "slightly" more realistic man hehe, smaller download.

If you never tried it before, now's your chance!

Neuro(Posted 2005) [#12]
Heheh...this game is funny. Did you know the enemies can stand on your head? I got to this one level but couldnt go any further cause it wouldnt jump high enough.

But....you have inspired me to do a side scroller for my next project....

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#13]
Cool. Yeah I know they can stand on your head + you on theirs! When it wouldn't jump high enough, you had to go back and pickup the green powerup arrow (or boot) which regenerates. Glad you liked it.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#14]
This is a nice platformer, grey. Gotta love the "programmer art" stick men. :)

Are you using "VWait : Flip False" in the main loop? I get tearing and slight jerkiness when scrolling. For some reason "vwait:flip false" doesn't seem to work properly on my PC - it used to work fine so I don't know what's happening. :/

Bug: I couldn't enter my name into the highscore table at the end of the game. Every time I pressed ENTER, the words "Press Space" just flashed on at the bottom of the screen but it wouldn't accept my name. I ended up stuck there - pressing ESC didn't work.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#15]
Thanks for having a go Big 10p. Yeah the programmer art is cool. Originally the main guy was just white (see the screenshot), I recently added colouring to show my son (who is 4).

Yeah by default it uses VWait Flip False HOWEVER (if you read the readme) you can change an Ironfist.Ini setting called Flip False to 0! Ta da.

Thanks for the bug info I'll check it out. It used to work perfectly but I recently changed the fade code on that screen and uh didn't retest.

This was my first Blitz project and really helped me to learn the ropes (and build a reuseablelibrary), but after 200+ manhours I realised it was going to take ages to complete and shelved it (for now) to do some quicker projects that I could actually finish. I really tried to make it everything I wanted from a platformer, fast/smooth, good jumps, decent collision detections, layered scenery, power ups, treasure etc. Also of course exciting and fun with good sounds! Of course there is much more I could put into it and I have giant To Do list of extra ideas. Watch this space, I may release a much better version one day!

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#16]
OK, uploaded a version with a fix for the high score entry. It was simple as always!

Big10p, how far did you get, there are 6 levels. After the 4 tutorial levels come the more interesting levels. If you wanna play these without going through the tutorial, go into the data folder and edit world.txt then cut and paste the 4 tutorial levels after the last 2 levels, then you can play the last 2 levels first!

big10p(Posted 2005) [#17]
Yeah by default it uses VWait Flip False HOWEVER (if you read the readme) you can change an Ironfist.Ini setting called Flip False to 0! Ta da.
Yep, that fixed it - silky smooth now. I did actually look at the readme but I think my brain must have been in sieve mode. :)

I think I got to the last level - not too sure. I definately finsihed all the tutorial levels, though.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#18]
cool. You know I was considering having the default .ini setting as Flip False=0 as it seems more stable on more machines even though many Blitzers in the know say that using VWait: Flip False is supposed to be better.