Goofy Gokarts Demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Goofy Gokarts Demo

Jeppe Nielsen(Posted 2005) [#1]
Goofy gokarts is a new 3d racer game that I have created, and I have decided to sell the game by my self, with the aid of shareit.com. This is a post to show you a demo version. The full version is almost finished and soon available from the website. Please tell me what you think of this demo, critics are welcome :-)

Anyway, some screenshots (click to enlarge):

Screenshots are from the full version

Demo link:

Download Goofy Gokarts Demo 7.81mb

www.gameart.dk/goofygokarts

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#2]
Graphics are okay. Sounds are bad and dull. The game goes too fast and I couldn't really play it because of that. Collisions with the walls are awful and VERY annoying, the cart just stops or slows down too much. The gameplay is bad as the cart doesn't feel like a car(t). You should at least do somekind of basic physics modelling. That would help a lot.

Just honest opinions.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#3]
Pretty much same like Bouncer said, only i would add: You got the wrong mix of rate at which the camera turns with the kart and the rate at which the keys turn the kart. Basically, you should either decrease the speed of driving or increase the speed of turnning of camera and kart. Maybe even put the camera to be firmly fixed towards the kart, not smoothened like it is now.

No kart engine noises?

Some trackside objects would do, even simple cubes with stuff on them, maybe?

Its great that you made it this far, and you did more and better than a very large majority of blitzers did. It's always nice to improve tho, so maybe you can make it a better next version.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#4]
Quite frankly I didn't get on with this at all, as per the previous comments.

Too fast, can't get round corners, no feel for the cart, camera is too slow, when you bump into the wall the camera goes mad and you don't know what direction you're facing in at all.

Not heard any sound or anything because I'm at work!

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#5]
the sounds are in places a little bland, and it probably needs to have some music to fill in the gaps.

I agree that it is too fast, but probably only because the turning arc is a tad wide making it impossible to do a 180 without hitting the barrier several times.

I find the balloon an annoyance because you still bounce off the barriers but it's even harder to see them.

I also find it annoying that you can't pick up another weapon/defence thing whilst you are using the laser or the pipe bomb. You can pick up (and use) a shield, smoke generator and the wheel blades and then a laser but not if you had the laser first.

Jeppe Nielsen(Posted 2005) [#6]
Okay thanks for all your feedback, I have updated the demo so that you don't stop when you hit the walls, I agree this was a bit annoying. The camera follows the kart a bit faster now. I agree that there need to be more objects around the track, and maybe some background music. The ballon should perhaps not fly that high, and you should probably be able to pick up powerups when you have a laser or a mini gun as Perturbatio suggested.
Anyway try the new demo, to see if it is easier/better to play.

GfK(Posted 2005) [#7]
I don't have a lot to add to what's already been said, unfortunately. :/

The only thing I would really comment on, is that having the barriers right up to the edges of the track feels 'wrong'. You should allow the player to run off the track slightly - maybe half a track width, before they hit any barrier. Obviously going off the track should slow the player down.

In all fairness, I didn't like Mario Kart either, and Mario Kart-a-likes really aren't my bag.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2005) [#8]
I like the graphic style. The presentation is top-drawer but it is let down by how incredibily difficult it is to control the kart - there's no physics (at least I didn't notice any) to give any feedback to the driver and steering is a nightmare - I found myself travelling the wrong way all the time - I think its been mentioned that you cant do a 180 without colliding with the barriers.
If you moved the barriers out a little as GFK suggested this might help. Make the steering a little more user friendly too.
I must stress that I only played using the keyboard so it may be that with a gamepad its different.
With the control issues resolved I think you would have a mighty fine little game there !

Amon_old(Posted 2005) [#9]
I like this game. It has a lot of potential. What I think would be cool is to add different engine speeds ala MarioKart. I found the controls a little over sensitive but if you play it for a bit you soon get used to how the karts handle. I would love for there to be engine sounds. No racing sim is complete without engine sounds.

Overall I liked it. Good work.

:)

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#10]
Jeppe - I loved this.

You have obviously spent a lot of time and hard work on this game so far...it really shows, split screen , track editor, variety of tracks, weather effects...it has got fantastic potential.

The controls are my main source of concern, they really need altering to make the game much more fun to play. I think a lot of it has to do with the speed of the game itself.

The game does not need to be so fast, slow it down and give players the chance to play the game with the other competitors not racing off too quickly making it seem like an impossible task. Taking part is not fun at the moment.

Developing a game is an organic process, with iterations - each getting tighter, better and more enjoyable... this game is no different. Just now it needs more iterations, tweaks, additions, balancing and it will be GREAT!

You need to get the controls working far more in the player's favour... at the moment they feel out of control, which is unfair. Give players the control to keep their kart on the track and able to compete with the computer karts, as that is a major part of a racing game! At the minute it feels very unfair, players are fighting with the control system which is wrong. BUT there's nothing to prevent you from adjusting it to improve it enough to make the potential of this game emerge.

Introduce kart engine sounds, get some bouncy music in there and more sound effects, on the buttons and everywhere.

Amon and Smiff are both right - the potential for this game is there - it could be a FAB game if you can get the balance of the gameplay right.

I love the track designs and colours, I think the graphics style is fine, I just want the game to emerge from what looks like a project which has been a long time in the making.

KEEP IT UP Jeppe! Really great work so far!

IPete2.

Jeppe Nielsen(Posted 2005) [#11]
Thanks for all your contructive feedback, very useful. I have made the track wider, as Gfk suggested, and now you can collect powerups when you have a laser, minigun etc. Engine sounds are in, and some music. Hope the game is better to play now, as the track has gotten wider. A new demo is uploaded.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#12]
In fixing my issue with the multiple pickups I think you might have gone overboard a tad :)
(I can now have two lasers and a minigun firing away), I think you should only be allowed one offensive pickup, but multiple non-offensive ones.

Jeppe Nielsen(Posted 2005) [#13]
Yeah, having both a laser, a minigun and pipe bombs at the same time is perhaps too effective :-)

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#14]
Much better now. It's still a bit too fast for my taste, but much better than the first version.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#15]
Hey man that's a great little game! I think it's mostly right on track ... it's exciting and the controls seem fine for what it is. The biggest thing I'd like to see is some network play. Thow some GNet in there and let use race each other online.

Foppy(Posted 2005) [#16]
I think the controls could be improved upon by making steering rate depend on the speed of the car. At slow speeds, steering should be fast. At increasingly higher speeds, steering rate should decrease. Another thing which would perhaps make the driving a bit more realistic is to use lower acceleration. Of course you are aiming at a fun racer, but even then it's important to get a driving feel. In this respect I like the original Mario Kart on the snes, it is fun (throwing bananas etc) but also a real racer, screeching down the track at top speed and throwing the kart into a corner while skidding (at the same time trying to avoid the banana).

Still, it looks great.

Oh yes, another thing which would make driving more realistic/fun is a bit of skidding!

TheMan(Posted 2005) [#17]
I liked the game graphics. I got few comments..
-You should make the car control easier, specially when turning left or right, I think by making better/easier car control can make the player enjoy picking power-ups or attack other players, instead concentrating controlling the car ( which is frustrating)
- Music is ok, SFX need improvement.
- GUI need to be more interactive, i.e. animated buttons and mouse cursor
thanks
<EDIT> you can learn more about car control by playing similar games

Defoc8(Posted 2005) [#18]
I liked it..was fun to play :]
- two things..the steering is perhaps a little too
sensitive & it would have been nice to have the carts
drift a little :]

Bug :- its possible to go outside the track, most probably
a collision bug..this happened when i powered over a bump
+ collided with a pipebomb mid-air...
You can also get back onto the track if you steer into the
rail while driving around the track...

angel martinez(Posted 2005) [#19]
Very good graphics and design but, yes, you have to work on controls(now it is too fast and imprecise).

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#20]
yes... very professional presentation... but damn those controls... wayyyyyy toooo much speeeeed...

ahhhhh, maybe i'm gettin' slow in my old age...

(also, just RUN... not EXIT AND RUN in that opening menu)
(and a menu option to exit the game instead of just esc)

--Mike