nSprite 2 Demo is out!

Community Forums/Showcase/nSprite 2 Demo is out!

gosse(Posted 2005) [#1]
http://www.nuloen.com/nSprite2Demo.zip

Please check it out and see out it compares to nSprite Pro speed-wise! It's really incredible, approximately 5-10 times faster, especially for text and repetitive drawing.

This is not simply a patch up of nSprite/nSprite Pro, it is a complete rewrite of the internal commands. The systems (lighting, particles, bitmap fonts) are mostly the same though.
Some of the commands are not the same as in nSprite and nSprite Pro. A simple plug and pray wouldn't probably work. (Check the demo code).

Tell me what you think!

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#2]
I was looking forward to this as I am very impressed with nSprite.

...Got a MAV when I tried to run the demo. Couldn't find the 'nSprite2.bb' include file for the demo code {I guess this is deliberate ??}

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#3]
Wow, great! I'll take a look at it!

gosse(Posted 2005) [#4]
BlackJumper:
You get a MAV?? Anybody else gets this? That's weird..
As for not compiling, it's normal, I didn't include the library ;)

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#5]
I gave it a look, and I don't see anything that's new. Didn't get a MAV, nor was anything being masked (my display is at 32bit and I'm guessing so is the demo window, so not sure what's wrong). The library's syntax hasn't changed at all, but it seems to go a bit faster than nSprite.

So why is it nSprite 2, rather than a latest version of nSprite/nSprite Pro? It's just the same as nSprite 1, just faster, so really it's a new version rather than a whole different library.

gosse(Posted 2005) [#6]
Uber Lieutenant:

This is not simply a patch up of nSprite/nSprite Pro, it is a complete rewrite of the internal commands.

Yes it's a new version of nSprite, but a complete rewrite. It's internally and speed-wise that it's different to nSprite 1. Also, I did a lot of changes to the commands, it might not be apparent, but a program written with the latest version of nSprite Pro will not work with nSprite 2, it will take some tinkering.
All the need to duplicate images is gone, the text commands are not like Blitz' text commands (no more need to create strings).
It can't be a whole different library, it serves the same purpose! It's just a whole bigger step than simply a new itteration of patch and fixes.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#7]
it does sound like an improvement, it was a bit fiddly creating strings and duplicating images.

popcade(Posted 2005) [#8]
It seems doesn't need external library.

Where can I purchase a license?
I need such a nice sprite system IMHO.

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#9]
For some reason the images all unpacked to a flat directory when I unzipped it - got it working by shifting everything to a .\gfx\ directory.

It certainly looks a lot faster and has some interesting new features. So is this version $10 a license ??

gosse(Posted 2005) [#10]
Yoxola: No it doesn't need an external library, it's all pure Blitz.

BlackJumper: I thought this could have happened!
Yep, it is really faster.

As for the licensing, I'm not sure yet. It's not yet ready for sale because it's not been fully betatested, the documentation isn't ready, and I'm not sure about what kind of licensing (price, type of license, etc) I will go about.

What will be more likely to happen:
I'll stop supporting nSprite and nSprite Pro.
nSprite Pro owners will get a free nSprite 2 copy.
nSprite 2 will be on sale via BMTMicro at 10-20$ US.

How about that?

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#11]
sounds good!

Barnabius(Posted 2005) [#12]
As the nSprite Pro owner I can only say: "Thank you" :)

Barney

gingerprince(Posted 2005) [#13]
same here

GP

popcade(Posted 2005) [#14]
Purchased the Pro version and is really impressed,
really hope the speed improvements.

It's promising, keep the good work please.