kaboom

Community Forums/Showcase/kaboom

taumel(Posted 2005) [#1]
Well,

here is the first blitzMax game i started with: kaboom [win | lin]

Why?

I just wanted to grok blitzMax and i also did this by altering the rockout code and moving it then into my

own environment. Thanks to hitoro who did rockout! Without his sample there would be no kaboom.

What is this exactly?

Well it's a modified rockout with some nicer graphics and slightly other gameplay due to the higher firerate.

Personally i enjoy this much more as it's wonderful for me to see all those objects moving around while i

shoot away everything on the screen. Okay contrary to what has been written on the blitzMax sample page i

don't think it's an original game idea. I think it's more a logical step out of games like arkanoid, krakout,

amegas... where shooting the blocks was always the biggest fun, combined with the raw power of blitzMax which

makes things like this possible. Thanks to the whole blitzteam!

But why haven't you done this or that?

I know i could have implemented tons of features for different levels/gameplay and done the graphics at a

higher resolution but a) it's not finished b) i'm in lack of timebubbles and c) as written before it was

mainly thought as a learning experience for me. I hope i will add some of the features in the future.

If you find any bugs, feel free to welcome them. I'm sorry for the wrong shooting frequency sound but that's

not my fault. Hopefully there will be a solution soon.

Enjoy,

taumel

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#2]
I like what you did with it.

Nice.

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#3]
It looks very nice... cool shield effect, interesting background, nice graphics in the intro shield...

My only gripe would be that the increased firing mechanism make the game *much* easier -- now you can spray some bullets over the entire width of the screen, then dive to a lower corner, and see half the blocks disappear on the screen.
Made it through half a dozen levels before I died once, the original was much harder.

taumel(Posted 2005) [#4]
Hello,

thank you both. :O)

Well as for the spraying. It's true but that's what makes the fun for me. I use it more like a casual game in a break and so i thought it would be nice if it's a little bit easier. But it get's harder when you reach higher levels as a) the number of initial blockrows increases and b) the newrow time decreases. So there should not be so much place to hide after some levels and as the levels play real fast i didn't thought this would be a problem. Am i wrong?

Anyway i just bought a magazine with a knoppix-live-distribution on it and compiled it under linux. As the distribution wasn't able to install my graphic card correctly and i only want to start it from cd right now, i do have vesa with 640x480, so testing sucks. Maybe someone could have a look if the linux-version works fine?!

Greetings,

taumel

Najdorf(Posted 2005) [#5]
great game. man I didnt pass level 2 :/

Edit:level8!

EOF(Posted 2005) [#6]
Swish-looking and polished graphics. Very busy.
Good update!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#7]
Really nice mod... very interesting to see it polished up! (Level: 9 / score: 59810 on first try!)

Any plans to release the updated source? (You don't have to release it, of course, since I made it public domain!)

taumel(Posted 2005) [#8]
Hi,

thanks all!

Any plans to release the updated source? (You don't have to release it, of course, since I made it public domain!)

Well no, not this time.

The code isn't cleaned up yet, it's not well commented and when then it's done in german. The game is also inconsistent in the way it's done as i just added what i've learnt. So for example the menu is done with graphics while the highscore is done with drawtext...

I would prefer to make a contribution with things i feel like: yep this is ready and helpful. Hope it's ok.

Greetings,

taumel

PS: 103100/Level 16 at xxx-try ;O)

taumel(Posted 2005) [#9]
Hi,

i had some time for an update of kaboom [win]

What's new?

+) Game and graphics adapted to 1024x768.
+) Texts are done via DrawText() now.
+) I played with different shottypes - every four levels.
+) Some minor changes...
- ) No linux version this time as nearly no one downloaded it and i still don't know if it worked.

Anything else in your brain?

When there is time...and hey: I still don't understand flushkeys() really! :O)

Enjoy,

taumel

taumel(Posted 2005) [#10]
Hi,

a little update of kaboom [win]

What's new?

+) I got a little bit tired of the old spaceship so i wanted to do a new one. As i'm not the fastest modeller i looked for free models first and stumbled over psionic's one, which i found looking great. So i tried it out...
+) minor changes...

Enjoy,

taumel