Non-Stop Action Hero

Community Forums/Showcase/Non-Stop Action Hero

agent4125(Posted 2005) [#1]
Be an invincible action hero, trashing 120 unique waves of enemies.

- 20 weapons - as an action hero, just about anything can be used as a weapon
- 10 stages - some familiar and not-so-familiar worlds to do battle in
- 120 waves - each with a unique enemy character

This is, by far, my largest project to date. This game began as an entry for the One-Button Competition on BlitzCoder back in March 2004 and I have been working on it ever since. There is still a little polishing to do, but it's essentially complete.

Enjoy! =)

Non-Stop Action Hero Download Page

Caff(Posted 2005) [#2]
This is class :)

I didn't think I would carry on with it after a couple of levels, but the comedy touches (like Michael Jackson and the bad guy made out of letters on the Tripping level) kept me playing :)

Nice variations here and there too, plus how many games do you get to kill the developer? :)

aCiD2(Posted 2005) [#3]
Heheh, that was pretty cool! I completed it with 656 kills ^_^ Slightly frustrating at times - I thought about something like everytime you miss a shot, a rage/anger bar builds up, and eventually you go berserk and just keep firing for a short amount of time, or something :)

Shagwana(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thats a neat little game, I recommend everyone give it a go!

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#5]
amusing, I hate the sniper rifle though.

Clarks(Posted 2005) [#6]
it was fun

FischGurke(Posted 2005) [#7]
That looks cool, can I have the source code maybe so I can compile it on my mac?

-IBD

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#8]
hahahahahah that was awesome! I laughed on stage 2 when the canadians came on. And then came the yetis ahhaha

But I can't agree more with Perturbatio, the sniper rifle just HAS TO GO.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#9]
good fun, lots to it as well. Kinda like Ikari Warriors but not. The music, hmm, from modarchive.com or similar (did u get permission?) I guess as the game is freeware it may not be an issue.

Sniper rifle was good, grenades are a bitch they need a bigger blast radius.

agent4125(Posted 2005) [#10]
Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

What is it about the sniper that people don't like? It should theoretically be the easiest weapon, since you just need to activate it when directly under you target.

FischGurke, this is written in Blitz3D, not BMax, so I don't think that will work. Sorry.

Just to get a general idea of difficulty, I'm wondering what total kill count you all have reached. Also, how many completed stages (stars) did you get?

Grey Alien, I'm in the process of contacting those trackers that I can find. Otherwise, I usually just include the text info from each mod in the About file to attribute credit. I wouldn't distribute it if it wasn't freeware.

Thanks!

Caff(Posted 2005) [#11]
I think the sniper rifle is pretty unforgiving - sometimes you think you've landed the shot by hitting the arms, but it doesn't register. In fact, all guns suffer from this - even the grenade has a small impact range.

Admittedly it might make the game too easy to increase the damage range. Maybe by reducing the scale of the player and enemies it would give a bigger playing field so that you can reduce the margin of miss without compromising the difficulty. But then again, scaling down the characters might lose some of the charm of the graphics.

As far as kills, I don't remember - I got to the end, maybe a body count of 700 or so?

agent4125(Posted 2005) [#12]
Ok, I just watched a friend play for the first time, and I can see what people are complaining about.

I'll work on an update for this.

EOF(Posted 2005) [#13]
It would be good fun to have pickups too ...

* speedup player movement
* destroy all enemys
* bonus doubler
* berserk mode

That sort of thing.

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#14]
Hehehehe, very nice game man :D

Réno(Posted 2005) [#15]
Very nice !

My score : 657 bad guys killed, and level 7 is my favorite.

I think the impact of weapons are too "small", but all the guns are great !

You've got imagination and creativity and you make simple, but fun games ;)

Ennemies should fire, and should escape. For the moment it is too "easy" and we kill the same ennemies on every stage ( +the final bonus ).

I think the bonus time is too speed at the end of each stage ( 16 secs looks like 6 secs... maybe it's just me ).

9572AD(Posted 2005) [#16]
Very amusing!
Gameplay got a bit tedious at times, but the enemies were hilarious.

I especially liked the film area -- thought I spotted a bug until I saw who the boss was. LOL!

Xzider(Posted 2005) [#17]

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#18]
Instant thoughts on running the exe, Oh poor gfx, dodgy sound, question mark over the gameplay.........

about 2 hours opf play later, ... Erm. how the hell can this be so god damn adictive.

The ice guys with the flamegun was a really nice touch. I also loved the way you implemented the UZI. lol lots of laughs.

Nice job.!!

agent4125(Posted 2005) [#19]
I have updated the game to try and address the difficulty issues.

v1.1 -- 2005.05.21

- Fixed sniper bug
- Reduced CPU usage
- Slowed enemy speeds
- Changed sniper and grenade to use fixed speeds
- Solidified collisions
- Changed Boss penalty from -5 to -1
- Set minimum time for final bonus waves

Hopefully this reduces the frustration level and lets people experience more of the bonus waves.

Thanks everyone for the feedback so far! =)

Grunthunter(Posted 2005) [#20]
very fun game

EOF(Posted 2005) [#21]
agent,
This is really great. Style all the way!
It reminds me of the C64 days - which is a good thing.

Neuro(Posted 2005) [#22]
heheheh! This is the funniest and awesomest game ever! Its got everything from underwear british troops, to canadians, to that tyler guy from fight club....
Really fun!