File Type Changer

Community Forums/Showcase/File Type Changer

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#1]
This is a very simple little app that should hopefully help some people.
Basically, the story is as follows:
Over the years, as we all know, computer stuff has been getting more and more idiot-proof. One area in which this is obvious is that there are countless web applications and email services that simply will not accept .exe files "for safety reasons", even when they are in zip files (Rar works though). Furthermore, it seems to have become an irritating process to change a file type using Windows Explorer (it used to be just as changeable as the file name, but that seems to have been changed because it was easy to accidentally delete one's file extensions causing things to break).

As you may have guessed, I made a program that will disguise a file as any other kind of file in order to fool email programs, and also stuff like change .html to .htm (because .htm looks better in my opinion). The program will also turn the file back into its original self so that it can work again.

Unfortunately, it's not point and click - but if I had the ability to add this onto the right-click menu for files, it would be.

Anyway, hope you like :)
And yes, I know there's probably already a Windows thing that does this.

Download 1: http://dillpickle79.250free.com/FTC/
.Rar - 495 Kb
.Zip - 623 Kb

Ricky Smith(Posted 2005) [#2]

I know there's probably already a Windows thing that does this.

You can use Windows Explorer.
Just make sure that the Folder option 'Show known file type extensions' is checked.Then just simply change the extension.
In order to pose as a different file type to a web or email server you would surely need to change the MIME type and not just the extension ?

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#3]
Lol! Well there it is :)
Thanks!'
Ah well, that didn't take too long... A good exercise.

Changing the MIME type often needs to happen, but not always :) GMail seems quite good at restricting me from recieving attachments though for some reason :(

Please disregard this thread.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#4]
I never use windows WITHOUT "show known file types" on!