Nintentris released! (Mac OS X)

Community Forums/Showcase/Nintentris released! (Mac OS X)

FischGurke(Posted 2005) [#1]
[edit]: removed the links and changed the text so it looks like the game will be released soon... Please delete this thread. I will create a new thread when I finished the game.

[edit2]: Almost finished with the graphical work. Sounds and music will take more time... I could use a site with free sound effects!

Nintentris will be a Tetris clone.
Features will be:
-nice pastel graphics
-Sounds / Music
-Automatically saved Highscores
-Challenging Gameplay
-Hidden Secrets for real tetris masters

-IBD

John Pickford(Posted 2005) [#2]
>I copied all the graphics and sounds from a Tetris ROM,
>but it should not be illegal since I own the game and
>the copyright is included in the game.

I think you'll find that Nintendo retain the copyright for themselves.

Simply posting those screenshots is almost certainly a breach of copyright. Distributing the game DEFINITELY is.

FischGurke(Posted 2005) [#3]
>Simply posting those screenshots is almost certainly a breach of copyright.

If you search google for "game boy tetris" or anything similar, you will find a lot of Tetris screenshots, and most of them must be from an emulator or a "game boy player"... It seems impossible to me that such a big amount of easily accessible illegal screenshots exists.

>Distributing the game DEFINITELY is.

You're right. I deleted the links.

-IBD

JaviCervera(Posted 2005) [#4]
Having an original game doesn't mean that you have the rights over its contents inmediately. Is like saying that you can distribute pirate copies of Doom3 because you have the original game.

FischGurke(Posted 2005) [#5]
Sorry, this is a misunderstanding. I wanted to say that it's not illegal to own the ROM because I have the original game.

-IBD

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#6]
That's totally illegal lol ... What do you think the point of a copyright is ... if not to prevent someone from using your art and stuff ... especially in the exact same game? Heck, right now modders who use popular comic character skins etc... are being shut down and they aren't even re-creating a current game.

FischGurke(Posted 2005) [#7]
I deleted the links (not the game yet).

Please excuse me, I didn't want to waste your time by releasing an illegal game. I know I did... :P

-IBD

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#8]
If you coded it with your own programming, just give it your own graphics

Eikon(Posted 2005) [#9]

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#10]
Yeah, just make your own graphics. I don't think you're going to get in trouble or anything ... but still the stuff is copyrighted.

Eikon(Posted 2005) [#11]
*edit*
Jeremy, I want to apologize for my comments earlier, I was having a bad day. They were out of line and have been removed.

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#12]
Obviously I didn't see the screenies but Tetris is just square blocks for graphics and [lala] sounds ... come on .. you could recreate all that in 2 mins!!! Fair enough the idea is copyrighted but [lala] graphics and sounds can't be .. surely!!!?

9572AD(Posted 2005) [#13]
Actually, graphics and sounds can be copyrighted, ideas can't.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#14]
I wasn't trying to police him at all ... I was just reaffirming what was stated above. He's not exactly damaging them with this game or anything but he wasn't sure if it was a copyright infringement and it technically is. Post the screens ... it's not really a big deal but technically it would be an infringement to rip the graphics from the actual Game Boy ROM and put them in your own game.

It would not be an infringement as far as I know if he didn't use the graphics directly from their original game ROM and instead make his own.

FischGurke(Posted 2005) [#15]
I'm planning to recreate most of the graphics (can be done in less than 1 hour). I will adjust some of the game code so the graphics are at the right place.

After this, I have to find/create some sounds and maybe some music (I guess I can use the "Tetris" melody...), and I can release it.

If you want to see the screenshots of the actual version, go to:
http://ibd.yuccatree.org/nintentris_screenshots.html

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#16]
I think the Tetris melody is actually the Sugar Plum Dance from the Nut Cracker by Tchaikovsky which should be public domain if I'm not mistaken.

Check this:
http://www.nutcrackerballet.net/html/nutcracker_music.html

FischGurke(Posted 2005) [#17]
> I think the Tetris melody is actually the Sugar Plum Dance from the Nut Cracker by Tchaikovsky

It's korobeiniki from a russian composer... you can find a midi here, for example:
http://www.midi.ru/files/avtorskoe__stra/korobeiniki.mid

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#18]
Actually, graphics and sounds can be copyrighted, ideas can't.

Obviously, but who on earth could have the power to copyright a coloured cube ... don't be silly!!

Edit: [Lala] didn't realise I couldn't use the word s**t here .. oops .. my bad!

FischGurke(Posted 2005) [#19]
haha, it's a black and white cube, actually...

;-P

*spam*

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#20]
Oh right ... I'll remember never to use one in my games .. just incase ;)

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#21]
Hmmm... they must have different music in different places and or versions. The one I have uses the former Tchaikovsky piece as it's main tune. Maybe both were included.

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#22]
*pimps his faq*

FischGurke, I wrote a LONG, two-part legal FAQ regarding copyright some time ago. I recommend you check it out:

http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=43172
or.. if you're using the American URL..
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=43172

:P
Enjoy!

+BlackD

FischGurke(Posted 2005) [#23]
Thank you BlackD, this cleared some things up for me. =)

(But I didn't read every single line :P)

-IBD

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#24]
nice FAQ

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#25]
Strange that "I" have the same FAQ... ;) . . . . go on, bookmark it...

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#26]
Hehe wolron that is really cool. :) I saw it the other day while browsing links and bookmarked it then. :) I'll use that link in the future when referencing, as we never know when BR will clean out old stuff here. :)

+BlackD