Demo for BasicGL

Community Forums/Showcase/Demo for BasicGL

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have just finished a short DEMO Game for the BasicGL 3dEngine for Bmax.
Its not perfect but it shows some features of the Engine and please keep in mind that it was created in only two weeks.

To use it you have to Download also the latest BasicGL mod:

http://www.ag-tools.com/downloads/BasicGL/BasicGL046.rar

The Demo you will find under :

http://www.ag-tools.com/demos/DemoRelease.EXE

Some screenies:

[Edit:] Demo link does work now.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#2]
screenie?

ckob(Posted 2005) [#3]
screenshot please and link doesnt work.

xmlspy(Posted 2005) [#4]
Most annoying sound/music, heck torture technique, ever!

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#5]
Link does work now and Screenies are added.

DH(Posted 2005) [#6]
Am I incorrect in assuming that any binaries created with Blitzmax were't to be distributed?

Perhaps I misunderstood.

It does look nice though for a 2 week development time.

Sarge(Posted 2005) [#7]
I really dont know about the graphics.

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#8]
As I have understand we may not distribute binaries. What means in my opinion that it is not completely forbidden.

I will take it from Server, if someone of BRL is asking for it.

And the last time I have read this was with the release of the Core update 1.3. In the latest Versions wasn't such an ask.

Skitchy(Posted 2005) [#9]
Access Violation at address.....
On a Radeon 64Mb DDR VIVO, SoundBlaster Audigy

Sorry

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#10]
Have you downloaded the latest BasicGL Module ?

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#11]
I downloaded the .rar file but it doesnt have a DLL, the demo asks for a DLL

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#12]
I think you need to make the install more 'idiot friendly 'for people like me who unzip the demo and it doesn't run for whatever reason

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#13]
I know, but my dll of Basicgl is about 7mb because its the latest beta, and I haven't got the previous Version, but I know that it works with the BasicGL2.dll of Version 0.46 .

Also we have found out that the whole folder seems to be write
protected.

At least you have to copy of the BasicGL2.dll in the demo folder or in the system32 folder.

Hope that it will work then.

Sorry for the bad package, I will make a new one with included BasicGL2.dll.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#14]
I eventually got the DLL in there and when I executed the main file, a window appeared and dissapeared, like when you run a simple blitzbasic program without putting waitkey() in there.
I may have an old version of the DLL but it seemed like the latest one from the website.

GW(Posted 2005) [#15]
well..
I click on the exe, it makes my monitor change resolutions about 8 times then sits at a black screen and returns a memory access violation.

impresive...

boomboommax(Posted 2005) [#16]
thats just odd o_O, i wouldnt advertise with that demo

edit: are you actually allowed to sell this anyhow? aint it just a wrapper for glscene?

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#17]
I'm not the developer of that engine, so I don't know exactly about this terms. But as I know it is only inspired by GLScene
and not a real wrapper.

And I'm sorry that there are so many problems with starting the DEMO.

ckob(Posted 2005) [#18]
the site says its based on glscene but I believe they wrapped it.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#19]
Screenies look good tho me wants an idiot-proof distro >_<

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#20]
New Version with all needed files. Is available under this link.
http://ag-tools.com/demos/DemoRelease.EXE

I hope that it will work now.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#21]
window didnt open for me, sry

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#22]
it ran but is was very slow, and when I fired it dropped to about 5-8fps (guesstimate).

DH(Posted 2005) [#23]
Wonder if they are really using GLUT? lol

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#24]
I know that it runs really slow, but this depends on some coding issues:

ie: In the 0.46 and 0.5 beta Version was a bug in the Collision math so I have to code a work around to have the needed collisions.
But now with the release of 0.53 these bugs are fixed an i will add normal Collision detection to it.

There are some other bugs which needs a lot of CPU time to pass them. Also as mentioned in a previous Post there is a bug in Bmax which takes alot of rendering speed (So the developer told me).

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#25]
However, the shadows are impressive. I hope you can make it run at full speed soon. Keep it up.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#26]
And the last time I have read this was with the release of the Core update 1.3. In the latest Versions wasn't such an ask.

This discussion came up just recently, but the general consensus by the end of it, was that Mark specifically asked not to distribute exes 'while it is still in beta' - the latest versions are still in beta.

it ran but is was very slow, and when I fired it dropped to about 5-8fps (guesstimate).

You probably already know, but just to be sure : most major slowdown probs in Max are caused by old gfx drivers (particularly on ATI cards).

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#27]
However, the shadows are impressive.

I spent about 10 seconds shooting my shadow because it was not where it was supposed to be (I was standing at the top of a small hill looking down onto flat land, the shadow was quite a distance away and I thought it was another target).

boomboommax(Posted 2005) [#28]
thats horrible now ive tried it, seemed to change resolution like over 10 times! before it even started, when it did it was SO SLOW, the shadows were all wrong, (2 of them for a start o_O) no way is this sellable as an engine

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#29]
@cYanide:

Would be nice if you can show your type of Gfx card.

At least there is a new Version of BasicGL which should get rid of this problem(so it was by me).
The Shadow issue I have also mentioned to the Developer. It depends on the lightposition. If the Angle is too flat then this problems occure. I hope to solve it with next release.

Anyway thx for testing it.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#30]
actually... it was the shadows in the screenshots that intially caught my attention... if it weren't for all the problems people were having with it running, i would've downloaded it just to see the shadows in action, and how well they work...

i'm really big into shadowing and stuff this month :)

--Mike

Xzider(Posted 2005) [#31]
was really laggy, the terrain was jiggily....but it was cool!=D

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#32]
@Xzider:
Can you post me your FPS and you PC specs,please.
And the Terrainrendering is really a bit scaring. It looks like some some squares put together(like isometric terrains in past games like Populus). I currently work on a Terrainsystem by my own.

A new Update will come in a short time.

Currently the Speed has increased about 30%, but I have found
a lot of other things to optimise,so I think i will increase rendering speed at least to something around 40% to 50% percent.It currently runs around 35 to 45 fps by me with a
AMD Athlon 64 3200 and a Ati 9600.

Takuan(Posted 2005) [#33]
Technicaly i dont like it under GF 6600GT.
Started demo and while the Demo switches resolution or refresh rate, my monitor gave a nice sound.
Never heard a monitor whisteling before!
Maybe demo code related, BasicGL examples doesnt behave like that.

The shadow projection is realy false sometimes.
Maybe its a driver issue, but if everything else
(including Doom3) works....hard to explain that a customer;-)

Not very convincing at current state.