Lunar Lander 3D

Community Forums/Showcase/Lunar Lander 3D

John J.(Posted 2005) [#1]
Luner Lander 3D is a simple little game where you try to land your space craft on the moon safely. While the graphics are in 3D, the controls are 2D, since this is an arcade style game, not a simulation.

Click here to download Lunar Lander 3D (1.31 MB)

EOF(Posted 2005) [#2]
invalid / corrupt zip.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#3]
Oops looks like you exploded :-)

John J.(Posted 2005) [#4]
Sorry about the corrupt file. I re-uploaded it, so hopefully it will work now.

EOF(Posted 2005) [#5]
same again.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#6]
Its a great start. Improve the camera, make it move in 3d, add fuel, add structural integrity (damage), add time limit, and its gonna be my favourite lunar lander version.

John J.(Posted 2005) [#7]
jb: I downloaded it myself, unzipped it, and it played fine. I don't know what could be wrong :(

EOF(Posted 2005) [#8]
Downloaded fine now. Adding to what Lenn suggested ...

* A shadow to make it easier to judge when the craft is about to land.
* Slow down the control of the ship. You can still make it exlode by requiring the player to perform a more accurately controlled landing.
* Mark out a landing zone to aim for.
* A nice big explosive sound effect.

More importantly though, the camera needs attention.
Maybe keep it in a fixed position just above ground level?

Oh, and have a play with Jupiter Lander (Commodore 64).
It has a nice 'pick up an play' feel to it. Plus, a delicate control system for the craft.
I can send you the Cart image which can be used with the excellent C64 Vice emulator.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#9]
I think it's way too twitchy.

John J.(Posted 2005) [#10]
Thanks for the suggestions. I just tested it on a slower computer, and for some reason it's running way too fast and the controls are "twitchy". There must be something wrong with the game speed equalization.

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#11]
Always loved thrust / lunar lander etc.. so a good start but the ship rotates too fast ... In fact, I think the gravity is too strong ... if is the moon it should be 2.0ms-2 as far as I remember ( my memory may not be serving me well :)).. seems more like earth as it is.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#12]
I always liked `Exile` on the Amiga, had a thrust-like engine but with an astronaut with a jetpack. There was also a thrust game on the Amiga, some game that I bought, I forget the name, was pretty hard. These kind of cave-exploring games are pretty cool though.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#13]
it looks like a good start... but those classic lunar lander games are embedded in the phsyche of those who have played em...

and those who are too young to have played em won't be interested at all in the formula... no BFGS!!! they'll whine...

... so my suggestion is to put the astroguy inside the spacecraft... make it a first person view... i mean, you already have some nice moon terrain... add a cockpit (3d or 2d overlay) and have the pilot be inside the ship.

(sorry, don't you hate it when these damn critics get a hold of your idea and try to rip it to pieces :) )

--Mike

Eric(Posted 2005) [#14]
I have a pretty good Lunar Lander Game, that I haven't worked on in months, I used Tokamak For as realistic of a simulation that I could, My problem with game programming, is Graphics ,and Gaming Concepts (eg, What is the goal of the game) John J. If you want to collaberate on something let me know.