GEOM - To be released shortly.

Community Forums/Showcase/GEOM - To be released shortly.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#1]
Some screenies from our latest creation. The game will be released as soon as I finish the sound tracks (beginning of May).

John Pickford(Posted 2005) [#2]
What's the game about?

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#3]
All will be revealed soon. This is a commercial release so please excuse the fact that I am keeping this close to my chest.

I'll release a demo to this community first. Promise.

9572AD(Posted 2005) [#4]
That's a freaky background effect...is that an actual moiré pattern produced by moving overlapping textures?

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#5]
It's a simulation of magnetic forces. The backgrounds are computed at the start of each level of the game (there are currently 100 levels). This gives us the ability to have unlimited backgrounds and keeps the size of the download nice and small.

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#6]
Certainly looks intriguing..

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#7]
I don't see the gameplay. It looks like you strangled a hippie, though, so good job on that! :D

N(Posted 2005) [#8]
Strangling hippies is fun. Do we get to strangle hippies?

Barnabius(Posted 2005) [#9]
Isn't your game something similar to this:
http://www.toymagnets.com/supermag/index.cfm

Barney

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#10]
Looks interesting. It reminds me of those little sets you can buy, toys, where each of the `sticks` has magnets in the end and the magnetic balls stick to them, so you can make all kind of shapes ... but not sure what your gameplay angle is there.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#11]
The theme is magnetic and yes those connectors are based on the Geomag toy.

With regard to gameplay, it's simple it's addictive. My testers tell me that they go to sleep and dream about playing it.

N(Posted 2005) [#12]
My testers tell me that they go to sleep and dream about playing it.

Hopefully not while playing it.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#13]
Be careful when strangling hippies as some are actually heavy metal biker dudes.

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#14]
Looks good, nice clean graphics.

I'll try it when there's a demo ;)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#15]
GEOM will be released on May 1. Maybe even tomorrow if we can switch web servers that quick.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#16]
GEOM has now been released..

Queue for your copy at www.geomgame.com

Teddyfles(Posted 2005) [#17]
Nice puzzle game. Love the simple and smooth graphics. Is it all done with Blitz3D using 2D-in-3D?

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#18]
All done in Blitz 3D using our homegrown Single surface 2d system. In fact the whole game is presented on 4 surfaces, including the background.

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#19]
I found it too hard, apart from on Practise mode. There isn't enough progression, and initial help collecting the (necessary) powerups.

It could be a winner tho.

There is a wierd psychological thing I get where I don't want to click on the powerup icons (which you have to do to spin the shapes), and I often find myself clicking the edge instead. Probably just me.

VIP3R(Posted 2005) [#20]
Real nice game, very professional... good work Indiepath.T :)

If you're still open to suggestions...

I would change the colours of the menu items to make them stand out more when selected.

Add some colour or a few semi-transparent particle effects to the background.

Generalise the credits a little more so there aren't so many Tims :)

Not sure about the price, seems a little high tbh. I'm sure you deserve it tho ;)

I was expecting the background pattern to be moving for some strange reason. Overall very enjoyable and I wish you the best of luck with it.

[edit] I found it fairly easy on all play modes, except Practise which I didn't try (trial had ended before I had chance).

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#21]
I just played GEOM trial and have concluded one thing. Without wanting to advertise anyone, the most fun games (if not the only fun games) i found from indie developers came from indiepath. I love GEOM and i hope to get a credit card soon and maybe buy my first game online. This game is great, its not too easy not too hard, its just right and i love the mode of thinking it requires. Its brilliant! I think me and the creators at Indiepath have very similar tastes or something because i'm really impressed with what you guys do (if theres more of you). Good job!

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#22]
it is a good game, nice idea, I did find the first two stages to be a little easy (for me at least).

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#23]
@Beaker, I may introduce some a bonus level after each stage or bonus scores etc depending on how that stage went.

@ VIP3R, Good suggestions, implementing some now -shame you're time ran out and you can't check them out (you could buy it).

@Lenn, What can I say Thanks. This game is my own project (as you can see in the credits :)) the next release will be a team effort - watch this space.

@ Perturbatio, I made the first two stages easy for first time players, at least then they can get a feel for the game without getting stuck on one of the first 2 levels. Stage 3 gets better believe me.

John Pickford(Posted 2005) [#24]
That's a really nice, original (I think) puzzler. Very impressed.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2005) [#25]
I kind of liked it. It's a nice concept and done well but I think it's got major problems:

1) The four (?) game modes seemed to be essentially the same with very slight rule changes.

2) Playing for points has no real value. The quota system is especially bad because you don't even finish the level when you get the required points! An expert player will go through at exactly the same pace as an bad player.

3) Kind of linked into the previous, there just doesn't seem to be any real reward for playing. All that happens is the player gets to see different geometric shapes... that's it. No new powerups, no cool new backgrounds etc.

4) I feel that the interface and main menu are confusing and counter intuitive, and the female voice is annoying! (The rest of the sound effects are cool).

5) The theme doesn't lend itself to a portal audience - but only if that's a route your planning to take.

I know something like this can cut deep, especially given the work you've obviously put into it, but this kind of thing can mean the difference between a terrible and decent conversion rate (and I believe it would in this case, but that's only my opinion)... so it would be a shame to see all that hard work go to waste!

Ryan Moody(Posted 2005) [#26]
It's a good game, but some little nags I had with it were:

1) When you start a stage, the timer starts automatically, and you have to wait a few seconds before you can see what's obscured by the "Stage 1 Geom 1" text.

2) I feel the manual should be incorporated into the game instead of being directed to a website.

3) I think it's too hard too soon - The arcade version asks you to get 200 points in 3 minutes, and I could barely get 100 in that time.

But I like the idea overall, good effort Indiepath!

Ryan

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#27]
I found it just fun to play, and the goal of reaching expert level is rewarding enough. In fact, its rewarding to just play, who cares about the background and stuff. It's decent and neat, what more should you ask? :D Oh i guess i was also saying that its a matter of taste, and somehow we have very matching tastes so thats why i was congratulating him.

I have 10 minutes left of the trial and i seem addicted, defending my favourite game. LoL

I ought to look for time to make stuff like this myself. Inspiring.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#28]
@Michael Reitzenstein

You have some valid points, there is always something that needs improving. So far it's only been a few weeks in development so I could put a few more hours in.

WOuld you care to comment on what improvements you would like to see in the areas you highlighted.

@Ryan, There is a new version up now, the first 10 levels are easier, they get progressively harder from 1 to 10.

@Lenn, want a job as my PR agent.

Ryan Moody(Posted 2005) [#29]
Thanks for the new version Indiepath. One other thing I forgot, when I completed a level with 5 seconds to spare, on the score screen, the woman kept saying "five...five" continuously. That may have just been one of those one-off bugs or something to do with my computer, I don't know.

Ryan

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#30]
Ah, that would be my fault. Thanks for pointing it out.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#31]
lol. i'm already your PR agent, free of charge. In fact i was motivated enough to look at some debit cards and i found one which is very easy to use for the general public from a bank and this makes it possible for me to pay for stuff online very easily with cash and im just so happy, so i can thank you for that again :P

how much do i pay you for being your PR agent then? lol

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#32]
me thinks Lenn wants a free copy :P

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#33]
Was it only a year ago? It feels like three! Time to relaunch it and stir up some hype for Geom Deluxe!

Wiebo(Posted 2006) [#34]
I'm waiting =] First version was cool!

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#35]
yeah it was cool, come on tim, get on with it ;-) Stop doing all this PR stuff and start making games.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#36]
I wanna make more games I do really. I've become a victim of my own success (blows trumpet), I'm now doing all that corporate crap I gave up to do this :(

big10p(Posted 2006) [#37]
I'm now doing all that corporate crap I gave up to do this :(
lol. Time to hire some staff, methinks. :P

Genexi2(Posted 2006) [#38]
I'm just surprised how active/successful you been Indie, you keep pumping out new offers for those indy's trying to get their bundle of joys out, provinding free modules/alternatives at good prices to make BMax easier to use, not to mention your nicely polished games on the CloverLeaf site you're publishing/produced.... You got my applaud man. Surprised it's only been one year since GEOM too, guess time flies when you forget stuff.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#39]
Yeah I need to employ people, I've been threatening to do that for months.

Me thinks I'm gonna drop the price point on GEOM and shift a tonne of units. Stack'em high and sell'em cheap! maybe.....:P

John Blackledge(Posted 2006) [#40]
Indie, can I take it that it's the Cloverleaf games that are making you a living?

If so, what's your method of publicity?

In other words, apart from your talent, what's making the real difference in getting these in front of the public, and getting them to pay?

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#41]
Hi John,

Cloverleaf is reasonably successful, it turns a profit but it's not enough to support the familiy yet. Cloverleaf was not launched to compete with the portals, it will never be a big distribution site, it's more of a statement that says "F##k the system, you don't need to write the best game in the world to make money".

I drove traffic to the site by making numerous press releases, posting on forums, tapping up a few journalists and making sure that as many sites as possible linked to me.

From day 1 I started harvesting email addresses, basically asking people to sign up for the newsletter as they download a game, it's optional and people don't mind doing it and I also ask them to recommend the site to 5 of their friends. It's at the point now where about 50% of the people that download a game leave their email address. If I need to generate demand I send out a new newsletter.

Some interesting stuff for you.... igLoader was originally developed for use on Cloverleaf and Indiegamebusiness.com developed out of the newsletter and press release system also written for Cloverleaf.

Heh, apologies for the ramblings... Getting people to pay money is very very difficult but hey, I'm a salesman and closing deals is what I'm good at.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#42]
I also ask them to recommend the site to 5 of their friends
yes this was a good idea too ;-)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#43]
@Grey, heh that was originally in the code but was lost when we redeveloped IGB. Register for the Newsletter on Indiepath.com and see what happens.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#44]
oh OK, I thought I chat about referrals (and my "recommend this site" thread) had prompted it.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#45]
Yeah it prompted me to add it back in

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#46]
cool. I'm sure all these little things help in some way and add up to a whole which is making people aware of the site and the products and thus resulting sales, and future sales, and more contacts, of course.