Skill vs Steel

Community Forums/Showcase/Skill vs Steel

Liberator(Posted 2005) [#1]
Here are some screens from my latest fighting game. It puts focus on 'casual' fighting by making battles quick, easy, and fun. The game features elements of an RPG, by letter you allocate points such as health, damage, and recovery to your fighter before each fight making Skill vs Steel a very unique gaming experience.

The game is 100% complete and can be downloaded here:
http://www.liberationgames.com/Skill%20vs%20Steel%20Install.exe

Though I am done working on the project, I would love to hear any and all comments regarding the game.

semar(Posted 2005) [#2]
I find the background a bit confusing, I mean, the fighter textures have quite the same colour palette, so could be hard to distinguish the character from the background.

Just my opinion; and apart of this, it looks brilliant !

Sergio.

John Pickford(Posted 2005) [#3]
That looks pretty good.

Caff(Posted 2005) [#4]
Yeah looks neat :D

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#5]
Looks cool! I'll play this after school.

DH(Posted 2005) [#6]
I wasn't too fond of it after playing it. Yeah, the screenies looked promising however:

The control is too difficult to get used to off the bat.
And the play of the game seemed like a telegram (move, move, move, stop, wait....., move, move, swing, stop, wait....).

The game has potential, however the advice I can offer is:
1. Start the game not facing the dudes back (I was like, whoa, where is my oponent, to finally turn the mouse and see him just in front of me).

2. pre-load some things like the models, and model textures. The loading time between fights is gowdy.

3. Improve the control a bit. Perhaps 3rd person over the shoulder cam with w,a,s,d straifing movement. I understand the type of rpg movement your trying to accomplish, however fighters dont always move forward (unless its a battle scene where they are always charging). They straif, sidestep, etc. It's clumbsy to get the hang of and use efficiently.

Don't take my comments the wrong way. Merely my observations (from an old Mortal Kombat/ Street Fighter buff)

Liberator(Posted 2005) [#7]
Thanks for the replies!

Dark Half - I would absolutely agree with you. My own criticism of the game did not deviate far from the things you mentioned about it. It was without a doubt, an ambitious project. Trying out some new ideas in a world where it seems we are surrounded by repeats of the same thing. I believe that if you don't 'get' the controls, you won't enjoy the game. However, some people that played it loved the control scheme and thought that it was 'the new way' fighting games should be done. I guess its a pretty black and white opinion. And yes the loading time is terrible.

However, like I said, I'm burnt out of working on the project, as it was only supposed to be a quick and easy minigame. So these problems will have to remain.

DH(Posted 2005) [#8]
no big deal, just giving my opinion.

As for
some people that played it loved the control scheme and thought that it was 'the new way' fighting games should be done

They are obviously rpg players, and really have no buisness in a RTF game. (my opinon since rpg players rarely tend to leave the rpg scene just short of making money to feed their habbits).

Like I said (hope I said) I do like the look of it though, the screen shots showed real promise.