Ping (Think Pong)

Community Forums/Showcase/Ping (Think Pong)

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#1]
I started this ages ago and just now dug it up and threw in scoring. It was for a little challenge a while ago to make a game with only ovals, lines, and text.
I did it finally!

Basically, it's Pong in a circle. The paddles looked a bit better on my old and dark screen, but they'll probably look fine on most people's screens anyway.

There are up to 5 players in the game. The first two are controlled using W,A,S,D and the arrow keys.
Scoring is simple: Hit the ball out of the ring without hitting the rectangle in the center. (I came up with that while coding, because I realized that the other method I devised would be absurd).
I've noticed that it's kind of interesting trying to play both players at once... That may make an interesting gameplay element eventually.

Um... It's not finished, but it will be a while until I dig in and and add networking for the other 3 players, powerups, and/or AI.

Yes, I know the source code is a mess and the only clean part (the circle and line bouncing functions) is not mine.

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#2]
mIRC quote of the day: Ping? Pong!

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#3]
Reminds me of the circular Pong game LineOf7s did for one of the "No external files" competition I ran years ago.

His ball always bounced off a circle in the middle tho.

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#4]
Hehe, it's almost identical to a small game I did in Director ages ago. Have a look here: G-Pong

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#5]
Just did some further fiddling to make it rather odd :)
Edited top post.

If a shot is bounced off the middle and an opponent catches it, the person who last hit it loses a point. Also, paddles collide with eachother (which will be interesting once players have two paddles each), and to avoid being blocked in, they can also change lanes.

I intend to slow it down a bit to allow for the absurd gameplay that I have arranged to actually work.

Other fiddling. Players now have 2 paddles each... Still up to 6 players because there was room in colour choices.