Tilemap Editor v0.2

Community Forums/Showcase/Tilemap Editor v0.2

Blitz Amateur(Posted 2005) [#1]
Here's an early version of the new tilemap editor i've been building.

http:///www.geocities.com/blitzamateur/TilemapEditorv02.zip

screenshot

Amon_old(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hi Blitz Amateur.

I'm kindof desperate for tilemap editor source code or a tutorial on how to make one. I know there are some at blitzcoder but they are not commented very well and I find it hard to figure out whats going on. Any chance on some barebones code or a small tut on how you can build a stock simple tilemap editor?

I like you editor by the way. I just need to learn how to do one.

Amon_old(Posted 2005) [#3]
Also the link you posted takes you to a yahoo page cannot be found screen. I'll host it for you if you want. Just send it to my email address and I'll put it on my server.

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#4]
It is only the wrong link, just turn the 20 to 02. Then it works.

http://www.geocities.com/blitzamateur/TilemapEditorv02.zip

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#5]
Looks nice BA. In what way is the tiles stored? Arrays or types? Or do you have a choice? Nice zelda tiles ;)

Blitz Amateur(Posted 2005) [#6]
@RossC
stored in an array (i ripped the tiles quite a while back)

@amon
I'll work on putting together some simple tilemap editor code for you, although it may be a while before i finish

Amon_old(Posted 2005) [#7]
I'll work on putting together some simple tilemap editor code for you, although it may be a while before i finish

That sounds cool. I basically only need the engine code. i.e A blank screen, loaded tiles at the bottom and how to pick and place the tile.

If you could help i would appreciate it. :)

Caff(Posted 2005) [#8]
Looks good.

Bremer(Posted 2005) [#9]
Looking good B.A., and I am looking forward to see something from the game you will be making using it.

I have done a lot of editors with blitz, but yours look pretty darn good so far. Something you might consider, depending on what type of game you will be using it for, is having layers for doing tilemaps that are layered with a background, movement and foreground layer, so that you could have tiles that the player moves infront of, tiles that he moves on, and tiles that moves infront of the player. That could be useful for others, if you plan on having other use the editor as well. Also an indicator of exactly where the tile will be drawn would be nice, as I mentioned on another forum. Feel free to send me an email if I can be of any help should you get stuck on something.

@Amon, not sure if it will help, but here is a map editor I made for someone who was doing a breakout type game, but the idea is the same for any tile type editor. It have tile picking and placement. Everything is coded using functions to make it easy to see what does what, but there are no comments. Feel free to ask if there is something you don't understand.

http://zac-interactive.dk/temp/PLOID.zip

GC-Martijn(Posted 2005) [#10]
H!

Could I use the tilemap for my commercial games ?
I can use every free 2d tilemap design ;)

GC-Martijn

Blitz Amateur(Posted 2005) [#11]
Nope, those tiles are ripped from a nintendo game, and cannot be commercially used.

@zawran
I've added the placement indicator, and am working on adding a flood fill, eyedropper, and rectangle placement tool.

Bremer(Posted 2005) [#12]
Nice, looking forward to try the next version.

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#13]
http://www.toolkitzone.com/index.php?id=12

This site is for some RPG programs, editors, etc. I just liked that they had some pre-fab tilesets. Of course, the quality is subject to interpretation. I liked some of em. Good for rapid prototyping.

Blitz Amateur(Posted 2005) [#14]
Yay!

I've added few things and removed a couple of small bugs.

Additions :
Eyedropper tool
Flood Fill ( Thanks Snarty! )
Rectangle Fill

Have fun with the new tools :)

Amanda Dearheart(Posted 2005) [#15]
When you're finished, willl a coder be able to use it for isometric type games like in Baldur's Gate, or DiabloII.

Blitz Amateur(Posted 2005) [#16]
it only does rectangular tiles right now, but it does already have the capability to be used for a game.

If anyone wants the specs for the save files, send me an email at blitzamateur@...

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#17]
Might i suggest not changing it to be stored in a type collection. I've heard you can do that. but i can't get my head round it completely :o)

Looks really cool :D

Suggestion: The ability to put a number in a layer of the map, for things like events. When you step on a tile, you could check the event layer to see if that tile contains a number?

Blitz Amateur(Posted 2005) [#18]
Well, that's not too hard to add, but i also have another thig you can use for that, i call them markers.

They hold a position and 2 ID variables, 1 string variable, and 1 integer variable.

To get into marker mode look for the drop down box that says "Tile Mode", change that to "Marker Mode".

For further details check out the readme

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#19]
Nice one. Seems pretty complete :D Good work!