Mr. Twinkle screenshots

Community Forums/Showcase/Mr. Twinkle screenshots

Teddyfles(Posted 2005) [#1]
Here are two screenshots of my platform game Mr. Twinkle. After yet another very long hiatus I've picked this project up again, and it finally looks like I'm actually going to finish it this time. It still needs work, but I think I will release a beta version on these forums soon.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#2]
Cool, I like the graphics style, simple and fun! Good job!

TheMan(Posted 2005) [#3]
Wow nice screenshots, looking forward to play a demo...

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#4]
..colors and graphics is cute and looking nice...continue man..

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#5]
Looking forward to the demo! I too am making a platforimer calaed Iron Fist. Keep your eyes peeled for another demo.

John Pickford(Posted 2005) [#6]
That looks really nice. It might be an idea to de-saturate the background layer a bit.

DH(Posted 2005) [#7]
Sort of Mario2-ish.

I think it should do nicely. Finish it up!

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#8]
It does look nice though I agree with JP, it would give it a little bit of depth and also not detract from the graphics that you can interact with so make it easier to notice platforms, etc.

Shambler(Posted 2005) [#9]
Attractive cartoon style, love to see how it plays.

Teddyfles(Posted 2005) [#10]
Thanks for the comments people. I think that when you play the game it's not that hard to distinguish between the foreground and background, but I'll take a look at the effect of de-saturating it a bit, thanks.

SopiSoft(Posted 2005) [#11]
I have played a demo of this game quite some time ago and i must say it has progressed quite well looking at those screenshots, i liked it then and probably still when we get to testdrive a new demo of this game. I also really like the graphics style. ;-D

Turkwoyz(Posted 2005) [#12]
I also played the demo of it a while ago, I thought it was great then and it looks like you've done brilliantly on it since

Teddyfles(Posted 2005) [#13]
Small update: game is still in progress, I have 6 levels now so it still needs quite a bit of work, but I don't have to do as much new graphics anymore.

I'll probably buy MoleBox later this week, so I'll be able to release a beta with the first level then.

And while we're on the subject, let me ask you guys something. Do you let beta testers test the full version of your game? I'm not sure if I'd feel comfortable sending the full version out to people I hardly know. Also, I'm hoping I can get this game published and I'd think publishers wouldn't like to hear I already sent the full version to a whole bunch of people.

Any thoughts/tips?

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#14]
I beta tested the full verison of a game for a friend but the point was I knew him and I am trustworthy. You should really try to get your friends to test it (but they must be able to test properly) or trusted professionals.

DH(Posted 2005) [#15]
A Limited release. Perhaps some sort of self-made installer that records the time stamp as your installing the game. It will only allow the game to run for a certain amount of time and then poop out after the time period is up.

There are many ways to distribute a full version engine with only a level or two and make sure it doesn't go anywhere other then the computer it was intended for.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#16]
I wrap our software using Software Passport from Digital River. You can limit the software in a whole host of ways.

Teddyfles(Posted 2005) [#17]
Thanks for the replies.

I have a trustworthy friends who likes helping me test my game, and I do a lot of testing myself too. (Which is one of the reasons development isn't going very fast, but I just can't help myself. :) )

So if I let people on this forum test the engine and the first level, that should be enough. I think my game doesn't have much bugs anyway, and when it comes to level-design and stuff I'll just have to be confident in my own skills I guess. :)

Neuro(Posted 2005) [#18]
Cool...looks phat as hell...

Xzider(Posted 2005) [#19]
looks harlairious, keep it up

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#20]
Looks nice.

Level editor included?

Just yell if you need a private beta tester / level maker.

Teddyfles(Posted 2005) [#21]
A level editor will not be included, for the following reasons:

First of all my level editor is very user unfriendly. I didn't feel like making a user interface at the time, so almost everything is done with keyboard shortcuts. Also, when you do things like pick a tile that doesn't exist, it just crashes without saving the changes. I know, that's bad :) but I'm used to it so I don't feel like changing it anymore.

Second, I have been working on and off on this game for the last few years. When I started I knew a LOT less about programming than I do now, especially about programming orderly and tidy. Thus, the code of this game is somewhat of a mess. Changing the flow of the program so it can use user-made levels would be a large task which I basicly don't want to do. After all this time I just want this game done. :)

However, I would very much like to make a sequel in the future using BlitzMax, which will most certainly include a level editor.

Oh and thanks for the offer Grisu. If I ever run out of ideas for new levels I will remember it.