Screenshots of another tank game to come

Community Forums/Showcase/Screenshots of another tank game to come

BeChris(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all, I'd like your feedback on those screenshots.
The game will be called T.A.N.K.S ans may be out within 2 or 3 weeks (we are currently working on the doc).

Do you like them ?
I guess they don't give that much clues on the game features but I'll give some news soon.

[EDIT] Finally, I succeded in hosting the images on a public ftp site.

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#2]
ummm there camouflage is working well ;)

#edit# ahhh there they are, looks good

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#3]
THe pics aren't working here

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#4]
wow... i can see em... nice artwork on the gui...

--Mike

Booticus(Posted 2005) [#5]
A+ On this! And yeah your GUI is pretty sweet lookin! GUI-riffic I'd even say. :) Whats the gameplay like?

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#6]
My biggest crit of the front end is the writing is solid white and looks very much like you've just dumped it on afterwards and doesn't look like it's part of the metal behind it. If you added it as another layer and put it on 80% blend or so it would probably more like part of the picture rather than overlayed.

The game looks fine, although I would try to improve the shadows that the blocks are casting. On AB I orignally had shadows like that then I replaced them with graduated ones. (check out my site and look check out the Alien Breed section).

Apart from that it's great to see a game that's got a front end and a game! Keep it up.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#7]
Wow, crazy world I began development on a remake of Simple Tank (my contribution to the genre about 5 years ago) today with levels that will be similar ... only it will be 3D. I like the GUI as well ... looks very fun to just play with.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2005) [#8]
Holy moly.... looks great

BeChris(Posted 2005) [#9]
Hi again, in brief (sorry for my bad english):

Features:
------------
- 10 maps.
- Up to 6 players in the same local or network game, each of them controlled by a bot or an human.
- Players can be layout in teams : either each player in his own team (classic deatmatch) or in groups (team deathmatch).
- Differents option will drastically change the gameplay : friendly-fire, partage damage among teammates, politic (auto team switch).
- Realistic physic : biased and backward movements when tank is hit.
- Possibility to *watch* games in progress.
- Possibility to automatically *discover* created game on your local network.
- Chat during network games.
- On server side : can kick/ban players and remove/add bots as easily as a keypress.
- On client side : automatic download of missing maps.
- Realtime switch between windowed and fullscreen display mode.
- Realtime *predator* effect on tanks sprite (when ghost bonus used).
- Switch on/off sounds and background music.
- Embedded quick help (key assignment, bonus meaning).
- All modifiable parameters saved in a config file (the next time the game is launched, all parameters are remembered).

Gameplay:
--------
When creating T.A.N.K.S, we tried to focus on fun gameplay ala Bomberman or alike.
The game takes place in arenas and the goal is to be the last survivor (or the only team remaining).
You can shoot other players and your bullets will bounce against walls of the arena.
Sometimes blackholes may appear on the playfield : avoid them or you will loose a life !
Mines can also appear which, upon activated, will blow out into several damaging pieces.

But, fortunately, you'll have to deal with other bonuses. Some of them have an immediate effects, some others
must me activated.

Here, you will find the complete list of available bonus:

B: Will improve future bullets:
- They will become faster.
- They will last longer.
- They will inflict more damage.

T: Will improve tank performance:
- It will become faster.
- It will spin faster.

E: Will recover tank energy to 100%

I: Will make the tank invincible for a few seconds

G: Will make the tank invisible for a few seconds (predator effect !)

P: Next fired bullet will be perpetual (no lifetime)

F: Will freeze other players for a few seconds.

M: Another tank will become doomed.
From this moment, a countdown is started.
When the countdown reaches 0, the doomed player
explodes and looses a life.

S: Will slowdown another player for a few seconds

A: Will give the 'antibonus' ill to another player.
When under this ill, all bonus taken by this player
are given to another one (from another team).

G: Will make another player blind.
When blind, the player won't see tanks of players
from other teams.

Black hole: If one falls into a black hole, he will loose a life.

Mine: Mines are innofensive until activated.
A mine is activated in one of following conditions:
- When hit by a bullet.
- When a tanks is approching too close.
- After expiration of its internal clock.

Global remarks about illness bonuses:
------------------------------------
Illness bonuses can be transmitted to other players if:
- An ill player hit another player : he will get rid of his ill and the just hit player will get this ill.
- A illness bonus is taken while a player is affected by this ill : the illness will be given to another player.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#10]
Looks nice.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#11]
I just noticed the space for entering an IP address ... it would be much better for you to include GNet and add a server browser instead of having to enter an IP address.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#12]
GOOD:
Backgrounds look great
I want to play it!

BAD:
Reckon you need to darken the shading on those tanks - they look a bit flat (some worse than others).
You've got a black strip across the screen - don't waste space, thats a potential extra row of play area!

Réno(Posted 2005) [#13]
Nice graphics ! gameplay seems to be nice too. I just think that it is hard to see wich tank is : you could put more colors for each tank ( one very blue, one very red, etc )... but that's just an opinion ;)

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#14]
Looks like fun!

BeChris(Posted 2005) [#15]
Hi again, many thanks for all your remarks, we surely take into account as much as possible.

To give some precision :
- It's not only possible to manualy enter an IP address on the title page : you can also scan for all running games (only on local network for the moment) by clicking on the chip below IP field.
- The black strip between map and panels is used to enter text in order to chat (network game).

To have an overall view of the GUI and game in action, I uploaded a video.

It's 400x300, 15 fps, no sound. You wont have the real speed of the game but I didn't succeed in capturing the game video in a better way.

The URL is : http://site.voila.fr/tanks/tanks_0.9.0_preview.avi (2.53 Mbytes).

Once again, let me know your comments.