Water Reflections including UnderWater Objects

Community Forums/Showcase/Water Reflections including UnderWater Objects

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hey peeps! im realy chuffed about this as ive not come up with anything as visually pleasing as this before!

While helping a mate out, I decided to prat around with multi pass rendering. The reflections you see here are the result!

Ive still got to stop some thigns from getting wobbled when they are above water yet, not a problem, but its ten to one AM here so I'm off to sleep!!!!

--------------------------------------------------
Old one, a bug can be seen on screen (no tree reflections...)

And with the trees facing the wrong way! heh...

Some newer ones:

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#2]
Nice :)

This: http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=zjp05242004195911&comments=no
May help you to do some effects with that reflection.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#3]
As cool as that is, this isnt done with textures as the reflection. Also, this runs at 60fps flawlessly ATM on my machine, I'll be giving that prog a go, but I think i'll just end up with odd results :(

If so, my method of Copyrecting lines left/right as i am doing already will have to suffice.

Thanks for that, I'll go take a look later.

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#4]
Oh noez the copyrecting will be our doom we must do something! :o

Then again, what you're pulling off there is amazing stuff. Nice work! Hope to see it released soon (for free of course).

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#5]
I'll be writing a reflecto-system out of it as soon as I'm done :)

and Actually, CopyRect seems to be plenty Fast enough, with Showing/Hiding of animated entities being what kills my framerate.Above shots ran at about 200fps when i disabled timing , but frame tweening meant i had to use hide/showentity, which slowed things down, so i implemented Delta Timing instead to get i up that high.:/

I beleive in doing things like this free as it pushes blitz higher. With careful coding, the above could be done for any level,but thats alot more trickier.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#6]
Cygnus - looks great. Any idea why tweening kills the frame rate?

LOL at Uber Lieutenant

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#7]
Tweening INDIRECTLY kills the framerate:

When using tweening youre forced not to use entityalpha to hide objects as that gets tweened and they fade in/out instead, so you have to use HideEntity. HideEntity/Showentity when used on Animated Entities slow, and that is what makes my framerate hit bottom. Shame :(

But after using delta time instead, the thing flew from 20-40fps up to around 200.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#8]
This is a real shame because render tweening is far superior to delta time in my book. Maybe the Blitz MAx 3D module.... ; )

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#9]
It is in deed. Or, mark could add a flag to entityalpha so it ranges 0-1 but you can give it less or more without it wrapping.

At the moment, EntityAlpha E,1.1 is the same as 0.1 :(

Otherwise it could be used to avoid tweening artifacts..... :/ Shame its such a cludgy idea else it might have got implemented :/

Paulo(Posted 2005) [#10]
Awesome job mate, it just keeps getting better :)

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#11]
Is the water and reflections animated, then?

(is that a dumb question?)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#12]

(is that a dumb question?)

... ;)

fully animated, but we have a few problems with render tweening now, though this is more a problem that stops me from writing a mirror code than a visual problem. visualy using delta timing, its flawless.... :/ :(

[edit] Okay, sorry, not a stupid question. I had a drink earlier :p

The water itself isnt animated but the "texture" is and that works really well :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#13]
verrrrry nice Cyg...

--Mike