GGBNSMMORPGO ? OMG !

Community Forums/Showcase/GGBNSMMORPGO ? OMG !

Sacha(Posted 2005) [#1]
With the greatest game name ever, heres GGBNSMMORPGO ...

Its based on the MMO game Ragnarok Online, wich I played for quite a while (and actually still play it from time to time). The reason I decided to develop my own MMORPG, and based on Ragnarok, is because altough I kinda liked the spirit (fun and not so serious) and look (2D manga characters on 3D scenery) of the game, it was getting quite boring because of the lack of things to do other than hit monsters to get xp to hit monsters harder (wich is quite pointless), the lack of ingame world events, and the lack of non-player life.

So I decided to make a better, uglier (well im no graphist) improved Ragnarok Online clone. Or at least try <_<.

So main difference with others MMORPG would be, I hope, to have the possibility of playing without HAVING to kill thousands of petramillions of monsters.
You would gain experience by your job, getting experience by using your skills and achieving tasks (yet even with a "not-fighter" class you wont be defenseless and can go for some monstre hunt).

Also, Ill try to reduce quite a lot the power differences between players based on level (you know, when a novice player can get killed by a rabbit because he has only 50hp at max, when a higher level player has like 5000hp. Thats always sounded wrong to me). The power difference would be based more on the skills gained than the stats themselves (STR, AGI, VIT ...).
Also, I hope I can manage to make the player skill (I mean how good the player is at the game) to be really influent. Eq: A very good level 20 player should be able to beat a bad level 40 player, by its skill.

Well that doesnt means anything to speak about this kind of possibilities when the game is still so early in devellopement <_< ...

So, to resume, heres what I aim for :
- Gameplay(s) not only based on hunting monsters
- Player can evolve by hunting or practising his skills/job.
- More 'alive' NPCs (not only quest / shops npc).
- Powerfull GM tools to manages events.
- World evolving by player actions (maybe with some players able to build things)
- and ... stuff ... <_<

Today I've finished the new terrain management (was working with blitz terrain, now with a terrain model & a collision model), added the minimap and tweaked some stuff. Not much actually, since I lost all my time fighting with maya, wings3D, materials & UVs for my first terrain. I guess Ill have to do a map editor @_@.

Im pretty happy because the game is getting a more decent look lately ... still a lot of work to do to make it look 'nice' tough. :3

And ... screenie !

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hmmm one of the great fallacies of the gaming world is power. In real life a lowly serving wench (12HP?) can stab the Warlord (43290HP?)in the back and kill him... In the game world a rat can kill you if you only have 12HP...

Your Skillage idea might work... Have you played Sacred?

I always thought that if you USED a skill you should improve ONLY in that skill... and a little bit in related skills...

That and the random quest maker HAS to be improved...

some of my $0.02. Keep up the good work... Looks great!
RZ

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#3]
This looks pretty cool. Though everyone has the benefit of the doubt, since MMORPG projects are the most commonly dropped game endeavors, the graphics are very attractive (ooo pretty colors...) in their current state and if the gameplay is something to write home about I'd find myself playing this. I mean I'd play it as long as game objectives aren't reliant on other people to be playing since it would mean you can play the game only if everyone else feels like it.

There's one note I want to make coming from someone who has never really gotten into any MMO games (me). When I was trying out Star Wars Galaxies through a trial period, one thing I liked was that you could build your own establishments in the vast landscapes the gameworld provided (which was also seen in Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind). This is one feature I want to see more heavily focused on in an MMO. What SWG had a problem in was that establishments were almost always distant from major cities, which made heading home for a bit a bit of a chore. Add to that the price of owning a home (let alone a large settlement) and really being a land owner was more of a burdon than a blessing.

In my ideal MMO, players are given a plot of land which will serve as the location for one of a selection of premade houses you can choose from (all of mostly-equal size to be fair) and then you'll have a place to return to where you can store the tons of crap you picked up on the last outting, take a rest to restore your stats, modify your equipment with upgrade items you've aquired (repairing, though, is still left up for a blacksmith or handyman), and store the money you've accumulated over time (you should only carry so much money with you in case you're robbed or slain). When you want to head out again, there's no long jogs or transports needed to get back to town because your house is in a town's residential area, so getting to merchants and other services is easy as well as getting back home. A player's house should be an important part of a player's life in the gameworld and not just a nice little feature.

Also, as seen in Ragnarok Online and most other MMO games, having a player-run economy can mean heavily crowded town streets with people trying to advertise their goods and make a profit. Towns should have plenty of empty shops that players can buy a deed to at a town hall or a real estate merchant. Player-owned shops are a place to safeguard the wares you have on sale, as well as hang a large sign to display the name of your store and/or what you sell. Every store owner also has the right to place one sign anywhere within the town to advertise their shop, so store-owners won't find themselves bribing a wandering player to stand in the middle of the town square blabbing about the great prices and quality goods sold at Joe's Quality Bad-Ass Guns shop.

Look at other MMOs and identify behaviors exibited by players that could be changed for the better and think about improving upon it in your MMO. Make it worth peoples free time and vulnarable school grades. :)

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2005) [#4]
Looks great. But may I ask how do you pronounce the name of your game?

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#5]
Interesting - could just work.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#6]
Hey, cool.
The screen from above reminds mr of FF8 for some bizarre reason...

Sacha(Posted 2005) [#7]
Thank you for your comments ! :)

Rook > Indeed, randomly generated quests are usually very boring in games "go to dangerous place, get item, come back, give item". Im still far from having a clear definition on how things would be, but this would be quite related to 'NPC life'. I didnt made much game design so far but for now Im only working on the game engine, checking what is possible and what is not, thinking of structures to make it easy to manage and improve. Once the engine gives me enough tools to build up the game, ill filter the tons of ideas I get =).

Lieutenant > In a game, when a task you have to do feels like a chore, it means its jsut wrong. Games are supposed to be fun, not chores, and Im trying to avoid that. :)

Im planing to do a player houses system, but I have to think of ways to have this system not to be a constraint for the players ("I dont want to go hunt so far, cause I have to go back all the way to home after that ...", you see ...) and be interesting.
Houses can be used for quite a lot of things, but I think making it the only place you can store your stuff & money would be wrong, that would mean you have to go back to your house everytime you need something.

Actually, realism sounds good, but can easily be a pain to the fun ... if thief-class players were actually able to steal from you anytime, that would be quite boring. You would die from almost any sword hit that touches you, or have to heal for days if you survived ...
I think 'realist' things should be applied in games only if they can be actually fun to do, or should be adapted to the fun ...
Thats why, while Ill try to add more possibilities in my game than there are in usual MMORPGs, Ill keep some of the simple, non-realists, well-proven efficient game systems, like Kafras in Ragnarok (NPCs available at city gates, managing your item store & used as save points ...*), the fact that all merchant NPCs buys the crap from your hunts (Flower selling NPC sure are interested in buying all your wings of bats) at the same price*, saving you from having to find as many NPC as you have different items to sell*, the fact that monsters are living on specific maps and not traveling* , the fact that they respawn somewhere once killed* ...

(*)That might sound not so original to keep those old systems, but dont worry I plan on improving those and adding cool features as well, however and I plan to do ALOT of things, and as I said its still far from well defined, so I wont mention all of that here (and Im already losing too much time writing that instead of working on the project ! @_@).

And about the price of houses, balance of economy and general balance of stuff, Im not planing the game for a really big community (a hint for in the game title : NSMM stands for "Not-So Massively Multiplayer" :P ...), wich means not many rich people, so not many extremely expensive stuff. If ever the community gets bigs (let me dream !) it can still evolves. =)

Enay > You pronounce the name as its written. :)
Ok, dont worry, its just the working title :P

Cygnus > I might have understood for FF7, but FF8 ? o_o Anyways thats quite flattering, even if its just because of a color xD.

Again, thanks for your comments. Any ideas, toughts about the good and bad points you can foresee, problems that I might encounter & other stuff is always welcome.

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#8]
Suggestion: Never, ever, tolerate geometry in levels that are left untextured! Player models are understandable, but there's no excuse for untextured level geometry.

SACHA IS A HERETIC! KILL HIM!

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#9]
What does the title stand for? :D

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#10]
NSMMORPGO=Not So Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. O.

?

And Sacha, yeah. FF7 was the look, but then i saw the bridge and it looked like a scene from 8 :)

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#11]
And Sacha, yeah. FF7 was the look, but then i saw the bridge and it looked like a scene from 8 :)

Ah yes, the garden's assault on (was it a city or an island...) some place and there's the boss battle on top of the communication tower. Good memories. Then again, the gang's scheme to try to make Squall be less anti-social by doing a band performance without musical knowledge and making Rinoa the bait was classic. I mean the guy doensn't even respond to a chick playfully scolding him because he happens to be sitting somewhere alone and there are adult magazines laying nearby. :D

Sry, back on topic. If it's Not-So-Massively-Multiplayer, is it going to be mostly single-player or you're just being honest about the fact that having more than ten people on at the same time is an unrealistic asperation?

Xzider(Posted 2005) [#12]
looks nice

Sacha(Posted 2005) [#13]
Technically, or at least theorically, having quite a lot of people playing the game at the same time is possible. By "not-so massevily multiplayer", Im, as you said, just honest about the probable number of players.
Altough Im not planing on hundreds of players, I the game will manage to attract more than 10 players, elsewhere there would be no point in making a persistent playfield.
But the "NSMM" mention should be understood more as a gamedesign base than as a technical specification :
By including that in this (working?) title, Ive meant that since I know there wont be LOTS of player at once, the gamedesign is made accordingly. That means the base world will not be presented as a very populated world ...
I wont play the "Lots of big cities ! Fighting religions ! War between countries !" card, or at least not at the begining.
Actually, heres what Im planing to do : I want the ingame world to evolve by its community. By evolve, I meant real evolution, not like "city renamed to Dark Assassin Guild City", but like players builds towns. Theres lot of work to do both on the engine and game design to allow player to modify their environment realtime and build stuff, but I think I can do it. Actually, almost all will be built from scratch, on a quite wide land, so thats somewhat of a colonisation.

Now for the news : I received my new PC a few hours ago, wich is a very good news for the game, since I can at least do tests with client connecting from 'distant' (60cm) computer, and interacting with another client. As it was months since I could test that, and lots of changes had been brought to the code, I was quite worried about that, but the only correction of a single error was all I needed to make it work again. I had a great chat with my alter-ego ("hello" - "works" - "PM works too ?" - "yup") and a breath-taking race trough the luxuriant landscape (slide-moving on grass texture). However, the bad news about my new PC, is that obviously, I HAVE TO play super top quality graphics games to ... erm ... test the performances and stuff, you know ... test. So the developement will have to wait for approximatively rnd(4,148) hours ...
Also I've found a new job, so I wont have so much spare time now, but I dont worry about that, since this game project was born while on the same job (and the same place) and quite some code was done there as well, during spare time. :)

Sacha(Posted 2005) [#14]
If anyone was interested in this project : its not dead.
As I (think I) mentioned already, I now have a job, and when Im back home Im in the mood for doing nothing (or play Wolfenstein : Ennemy Teritory, wich is quite as productive).

However, Im now decided to stop playing that much on the week ends, and give more time to this project.
For now, as I (just) mentioned in the worklogs, Im trying to establish the best way to create maps for the game. I've now learned enough to do quite nice meshes & textures, and I can do a tool for the map edition (animated & generic scenery objects, gates & other game stuff).
So far the best way Ive found to have my nice map from maya in the game is to do the mesh in maya and the materials/texture in wings (since I didnt figured out how to export materials from maya so wings can use it).
Wings is not as comfy for texturing and doesnt support many materials (well technically it does, but theres a known interface bug that make it impossible to have a long list of materials), so its not a good option.
Ive started something like a map editor, which whould manage material (tile style) ... but I must have some errors in my reading of the .obj files, because a few triangles are missing.

Well well well. If you have a nice, direct solution to have the landscape you did in maya being usable as it (mesh + texturing) in B3D, please tell me ! Ill give you a candy or somewhat.

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#15]
Yay! It lives! If you need any extra hands on the project, don't be afraid to ask. I'd be willing to help out in texturing and basic object modeling (I use Wings3D).

Sacha(Posted 2005) [#16]
Uber Lieutenant > Mailed you =)

Everyone else > More news coming soon ... maybe.

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#17]
Tell me what you need and I'll get on it.

I recommend nSprite for the HUD, including the bitmap fonts. I sent it to you, use it for this project only unless you buy a license, yourself.