Yet Another Blitz Company Update. Gameplay works!

Community Forums/Showcase/Yet Another Blitz Company Update. Gameplay works!

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#1]
Blitz Company Update!!!
Playable Again, and more!!!

Here's the showcase!

http://www.blitzcoder.com/cgi-bin/showcase/showcase_showentry.pl?id=hamiltek02192005033650&comments=no

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#2]
Good, now the mini-map display is partially working. AND there's gameplay, yay! :D

With the new battle cinematic system you're working on, I'm assuming you're moving away from the X-Com-inspired mechanics (like units stopping when they are spotted and attacked) and sticking to the Advance Wars formula (units have to be next to each other)? That's what I'm hoping to see, along with the rest of the unit models.

btw I know now that you're using nSprite heavily in this. Are the units 3D objects handled by nSprite?

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#3]
looks awesome!!!

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#4]
I am using n-sprite for the map clouds and explosions.

As for the gameplay, my goal is barrow some concepts, but not to make an advances wars clone. So the range fire will stay in. Many of the machanics are not in place so the game feels a tad imbalanced right now, so I'm asking that you bair with me on it. It'll be good. I've played lots of wargames and although Advance Wars was fun and I loved it, it wasn't nearly as detailed as my taste prefer. This is intended to be a "Hard-Core" strategy game at heart. Something between Advance Wars and Civ. The x-com return fire style will stay in, but be varied quite a bit from the way it's used now. The accuracy system, and an upcomming recon alert system will make the return fire system more plausable.

I have a strong possibilty that I can port this to an e-mail game. I'm not sure if people would like that but I wouldn't mind finding some interested people to test the concept.

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#5]
I've seen "email play" supported in some games (rarely though), but I never took a moment to find out what it is. Is it basically one person takes a turn and the update is sent to someone's inbox where he'll do his turn and repeat until the game ends? The only benefit I see from that would be to escape from the long pauses people impatiently sit through in online turn-based games and the other players keep saying things like "omfg dude, just end your turn already!" Other than that, it's a good way to make matches last for well over a week.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#6]
I personally don't like playing turn based games online. I hate waiting for the other player. I might throw in a time limit on the matches. Something like 1 to 2 minutes per turn.

Just bought Sprite Candy, and OH MY GOD, that thing is bad ass!! My have to replace my n-sprite stuff with it.

splinux(Posted 2005) [#7]
I tryed the game but, when the progress bar arrive at 50% it ends with a message: Memory access violation.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#8]
hmm... I'll have to test that.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#9]
I've noticed that it also doesn't start correctly went I open straight from the Window Explorer download dialog. I testing that progress bug right now.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#10]
Wow, that concerns me. I just downloaded it and tried it. It worked fine. I even chanced my project folder name just in case it was referencing a file in my project folder outside of the demo. It still worked fine. I don't think I have any custom dlls, being used. Wonder what it could be.

splinux(Posted 2005) [#11]
On my brother's computer it works, only on mine it doesn't work...

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#12]
Do you know what kinds of video card you and your brother have?

splinux(Posted 2005) [#13]
My brother has a NVIDIA Geforce FX 5200, 3D and i've a 3d graphic video card too.
My video card has a partitioned vram(the vram is taked by ram...64mb, my brother: 128mb)
and another thing: which is the utility of a mine layer?

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#14]
Well, the mine layer is not completed at the moment. He'll be able to place mines that the enemy can't see. Then when the enemy moves on to those spots, well, you can figure out the rest. There are still a lot of units coming. I still have a lot of artwork to do. Now if my darn job would stop getting in the way!!

splinux(Posted 2005) [#15]
Ok, thanks for the help.
Probably the game doesn't work on my computer because i have a low ram.
Great game!