New Blitz community!:)

Community Forums/Showcase/New Blitz community!:)

Xip(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi all :D

I am currently working on a nice little blitz community, the perfekt place to find new friends and co workers for your projekts =)

you all have your own presentations, guestbooks, mailbox(local), each projekt can be commented(bc.com stype), ranked and mutsh more!

later, i am going to add a PRO profile for a small montly fee(3-5$ or so), with PRO users gain extra functions, like advetisment on the community, and auto-mated newsletter-template functions, and some other cool stuf like the abbility to shange skins on page and mutsh more.
but the basic functions will ALWAYS be free ofcorse!

at the moment, i cant give you and URL cus the page is still to simple to hack, but here is a image of the page's public "guestbook":

the text is currently in swedish, but this will shange before opening!

Some feedback whod be nice :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#2]
I think it sounds utterly pointless, but good luck with it.

GfK(Posted 2005) [#3]
I agree with Rob Farley. Nobody is going to pay you. Trust me on this.

Also, that hideous yellow colour is..... erm, hideous.

Curtastic(Posted 2005) [#4]
I instant you said the word "fee" this thread was doomed.

I would be interested if the website has an extremely good showcase. with webspace

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#5]
I disagree, I have no issue paying for something worth while, however, with blitzcoder and blitzbasic as well as a whole host of smaller blitz sites I don't really see the point of another one.

Advertising your stuff can be done on this site with worklog entries and a link in your signiture to the worklog.
You can upload screenshots to this site and have them displayed in the gallery.
BlitzCoder covers this sort of thing in the showcase.

I don't really see anything new or different in this suggestion, and unless a lot of people sign up for it and it gets more traffic that bb and bc then your projects will get less coverage.

Hence I think it's utterly pointless.

That said, it's probably a good project to create to play with MySQL and PHP.

N(Posted 2005) [#6]
Rob pretty much summed up my opinion.

Design (what of it is visible) looks decent, I'll give you that.

Xip(Posted 2005) [#7]
im shure you all can be a little more negative if you try harder...

look, i dont think you anderstod me corrent, bc.com or bb.com is not a community in that sence(not the word i use community for anyway), and my community is more personal, it gives users the chanse to get to know the people behind the projekts and not the projekts.
search for people that like the same stuf and so on.

and ho the h**l made sutsh a big thing of fees? this is a FREE-to-do-ting for people ho wants to sponsor the projekts and alos gain som extra nice functions...
im not forsing anyting on anyone...

also, this is somthing that will take a while before i add it. and the functions i mention abouve is one of several... ther will come alot more, and ALL basic functions that you find on BC.com and BB.com is free and will always be!.
its not worse than if BB or BC.com ads a "klick to sponsor" link on ther pages... so why do people bother komplaning on this function? i also give functions back? ....
bahh

GfK(Posted 2005) [#8]
so why do people bother komplaning
If you didn't want feedback then perhaps you shouldn't have asked for it. Stop getting out of your pram.

Amon_old(Posted 2005) [#9]
something about his spelling annoyed me. I'm not making an attack, its just that it annoyed me for some reason.

maximo(Posted 2005) [#10]
go for it swede!

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#11]
I know you're taking it to heart what these people are saying ... and you thought you had this really great idea ... but they are just helping you out.

Your time and effort might be better spent on something else considering how much pull the Blitz Research and Blitz Coder sites have. However, to each their own. If you think the naysayers really have no comprehension of what you're working on then forget them and just get 'er done.

Xip(Posted 2005) [#12]
look, i have not problems with the feedback, but ther is a different betwin construktive commenting, and stuff like "utterly pointless" and "good luck".

from the beginning i was thinking of using my community for people with dyslexia, but after some thinking i found it more intresting with somting that can compite with bb.com and bc.com, ther is alot of stuff i miss in those communitys.
thay are always very non-personal and is fixed to the projekts and not the dev people.
i have never got any new friends after joining bb and bc, and that is my point.

also, it seems like people like to tink less of me and my projekts becus of an genetic birth-deffekt like dyslexia.
i have spent most of my life(im 24) learning the swedish language and even if my swedish is like 500x bether than my english, ther is still not a singel day without komplains in forums and chats... and yeas, it gets on my nerves after a view years.

well, if people here is not intressted in a more personal community, i can always use it somewere else....

Naughty Alien(Posted 2005) [#13]
Xip..my question for you is..why should i go to some 'mew' blitzcommunity page if i can find anything I want inside present Blitzbasic community??

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#14]
Hey I think it's great that you know two languages!

Perhaps if you want to focus on the devs you should just make some sort of developer archive with interviews etc... It could be cool. I can see what you're talking about with the lack of personal touches here and on BlitzCoder ... Personally I really like the way Garage Games community is setup. It gives a more personal edge for devs with very complete profiles that you can list previous work and a little description of yourself etc...

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#15]
look, i have not problems with the feedback, but ther is a different betwin construktive commenting, and stuff like "utterly pointless" and "good luck".
Agreed my first post wasn't constructive but I more than made up for it in the second so please don't bitch at me, it's tiresome.

Zace(Posted 2005) [#16]
Lets get the thread back on track. Xip is asking for feedback and ideas, which as a community we have bags of (ideas that is). However to be able to give more dieas we need to know more of what you have planned. Have you got a feature list available? Or an English screen, yup my swedish is utterly non-existant.

I wont say good luck, as you asked us not to, but as a programmer you have to go with what you want following the specification....which users will ALWAYS change :)

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#17]
I think he, Xip, just feels there isn't enough personal info on the two most popular community sites, and believes people need that for some reasons. Maybe one reason is for teaming up, but if anyone is really interested he'll talk to a number of people, most have web pages or emails so most might not see the real use of having such 'personal' info in a community. And its enough work to keep one or two worklogs. A new forum is really really not needed tho.

The only good new community feature that i can think of is to create some sort of a ranking table listing what each member did, and letting others grade these creations and download them. That way the best of the best ever made in Blitz will be easily found and people will get credit. There might be an attempt of such a thing at bc.com showcase but its utterly cluttered up with ten tons of mostly useless stuff. It would be good if someone could maintain such a list and administer it! That is what i want Xip to make.

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#18]
Lenn,

You've got a point there, this is sort of what the gallery is here, however, I really think there should be a second gallery that you can only upload stuff with a demo so people can rate it on how the game or demo actually runs.

There's loads of screenshots on the gallery of a 5 million poly lightmapped model which is about as impressive as taking a dump if there's no demo to play, I'd rather play a little demo that is great fun even if the graphics are AAA class.

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#19]
One feature I would like to see is an "AKA" link that lets you know that jfk EO-11110 used to be known as jfk; used to be known as -norc-; used to be known as Tingel-Tangel Bob [Did I get that right ?]

Some people change their ScreenName and if you have been away for a few weeks or months it can be difficult figuring out who to continue a grudge against ;-)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#20]
BJ, you got a speeling mistake in your signiture.

Xip(Posted 2005) [#21]
Finnay some construktive stuff, tanx all!:D

@BlackJumper:
well, i have alredy done some thinking on this, and i think your right. this whod be nice! shodent be to hard to add ether.
at the moment, one cant shange ther nick, problem solved :P *jokley*
well, no, but i can do some sort of register of old nicks in each user account.

also, i have done alot of thinkig on the ranking stuff, and i am not happy with those on blitzcoder or blitzbasic, so i will add allot of stuff here.
but i think its more importat to have all the basics working first, that is what i will do for now.

Leen: bingo, but i think your wrong about one thing, people dont contakt eachother, the envierment shod make it alot eazer to do so... if evry one had a public guestbook, mailbox'es and other friendly functions, pepople whod talk more with eachother.
currently, people only sends comments on each other's projekts bekus that is the most vissible functions(on let say bc.com) and thats it. (even if i like that to)
one has to fiddle around a while before one finds any type of private messages...

i guest, that the community i want to start, is some how different from the type of community most programmers want, maby im used to a type of communitys, how thay are in my land.... i have never seen any communitys outside sweden that are the way i like them... so maby its a local thing(?)

Rob: uhhh? what exaktly in my responce(and the text you pasted) is bitshy? serasly, you shod reed my respons agin....
if that is the case, your first input is more bitshy than mine... but ho is counting, anywais, lets not start a flamewar here.

well, tanx evry one, this round has been alot more useful:)
keep them comming ;)

boomboom(Posted 2005) [#22]
the best thing you can do is to find a small sector that is not provided for on the internet. I think you should forget making a blitz community site, as the 2 currently serve all thats needed in terms of:

bb.com = official, auto join when u buy
bc.com = people on demos

people who have tried to start up new blitz based communities usually fail.

But I think you hit the nail on the head with a a dislexic developers/programming community. I am (to my knowledge) dislexic, but i can imagine it being quite difficult, especially with programming. So start up a support forum for dislexic people to do any sort of programming.

I think this would be a much better use of your time, and be far more successfull.

http://www.dyslexia-parent.com/mag35.html

I found that, it might help alot.

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#23]
@Cygnus:

:-P

mearrin69(Posted 2005) [#24]
Well, now, this will be perceived as not constructive but I have a question for Xip. How does a person with dyslexia write software?

Just as with a real language, programming languages have pretty stringent requirements regarding spelling, punctuation, and grammar.

Now your grammar and punctuation seem decent to me and I assume your spelling is attributable to your dyslexia. I have seen a lot of people on the net who claim dyslexia but I suspect laziness, etc. - not so with you, though.

So, how does this affect your programming? How do you manage? Also, if syntax checking in a compiler can help correct mistakes, why not use spelling checker for your posts to make them more readable?

Just curious. Hope you don't take offense.
Michael

Xip(Posted 2005) [#25]
mearrin69:

well, that is a very good question, and you are not the first to ask it.

i dont now exaktly how i can be a good programmer(if that is what i am(?)), but i gues that the 10 years of praktice has to give some result.
(have taken several programming klasses and so on)
however, i still have alot of problems learnig new stuff, i must read one page like 10 times to anderstand or memmorice anyting(this goes for any type of text), it takes me several days to memmorize a singel syntax, this is cos dyslexia also is common to give bad char/number memmory.

however, wen it komes to spelling and syntax, i think programming is mutsh more eazer and logical than a real language, one word is not spelled different in different situations for exampel. also, all my editors has syntaz lightninge'rs and the help file is one click away(i do alot of F1 hits:P) .

also, one think people have noticed is that if i write messages about programming, or use words that is frewently used in programming of any kind, help files, syntax'es, and so on... then i have very little errors ;)

most syntax is 3-5 letter words and not to hard to memmorize, but that is not how english or swedish language is built ;)

but the hardes thing for me is to be able to keep stuff in memmory, if i dont work with a projekt evry day, i will forget evryting i have created and how it works(no mather how strutkured it is and nice written), i always forget what i name my vars, even if i have a lot of classic names i use.... i always forget were i put evryting, and if i wait more than ... let say 3-4 days, i must start over the projekt again... it is not unkommon for me to rewrite stuff 4-5 times.... dosent mather if i do tonds of commenting, and does a butsh of smaller class files nicely splited to several files, i still get lost and can remember what i did...
and this is most likley my bigest dyslexia related problem...
so i gues i have to upgrade my memmory then :P
i whonder if my laptop memmory is compatibel ;)

i dont think i whod have been a very good programmer if it werent the main thing in my life that mathers... it is what keeps me going... i seriasly LIVE to code... have done so for as long as i can remember... i have nothing else in life ;)
im not to shure if iv got an life even, but what the hell, never goes outside, never drink, smoke or meating other people(includeing girls)... always working with my laptop , never ending story...:P

i dont have a spell checker in my word(exept for swedish), but seriasly, it realy takes a dyslektiker people to se how mutsh work this whod give you, i post alot of messages in forums and chats... it whod take me for ever to do evryting in seperat programs and tab around.... not to mention chat sessions... people dont have the time for me to screw around for ever, evry line i type...

it might seem simple to one ho can spell, but try it your self, EVRY post you write(NO exeptions to anything), write it in a different program first and after a few days you will start to loos your mind... and all this, simply becos people cant exept you for what you are....
its simply not praktical if you do alot of chating and stuff.

and i dont anderstand why people always asume that the people with the handikap must shange, does this mean that people with other brain damages for example is not alowed to drewl? or make funny noices... one can always argue that thay shod shut up and learn to speak... right?
no, i dont think so...

if people se a handikaped human with no arm or a brain-birth deffekt, thay dont go and say
"hay! you! RETARD! you shodent be like that... do somting about it! i cant stand you being like that!"
... like hes got a shoise... and even if he did, why shod he shange to satisfy evry one else?
even if i wish there were a nice little drug i can take that makes it all go a way(trust me, i whod love to be able to spell like evry one else)... but that is not how it works.

well, i dont mean to sound angry or anyting, only trying to say my point :)

but i edmit, i have shosen a very hard hobby, but i cant live without it!:)
that is how things is going to stay, and people is going to have to live with it, I have :)

sorry for the big post, i hope you all servive :P

mearrin69(Posted 2005) [#26]
Xip
Thanks for the explanation. I don't think people with unsurmountable handicaps should be expected to do everything a 'normal' person can do. Then again, there was Helen Keller.

Frankly though, and I am not busting on you because you've explained yourself pretty well, I think much of the 'dyslexia' on the Internet is laziness/sloppiness/ignorance. I know it's a real condition, but I think a lot of people affect it just so they don't have to be responsible for communicating effectively. Maybe I'm too harsh though.
;)
M

Sweenie(Posted 2005) [#27]
@Xip
I have to say that I'm impressed that you won't let the dyslexia stop you from doing what you want to do.
My best friend suffers from severe dyslexia and can barely spell his own name.
Even though he never mention it I know that he feels very ashamed of it and tries very hard to hide it from other people by avoiding any situation that requires him to read out loud or writing anything.
So I know it takes a lot of guts to admit it like you do and speak so openly about it.
Keep up the good work.

Ta inte skit från nån och kör så det ryker! ;)

Xip(Posted 2005) [#28]
@Sweenie:

hehe, oh, wiiii! a nother swedish one;), nice to know im not alone here :P

well, i was born with it, i dont now anyting else, so it feeals very "normal" for me to not "get it right":P, if you now what i mean;)

well... i have gone in alot of dyslexia special classes, and some of the people ther has had alot worse dyslexia than me, like you said, some of us cant even write ther name, i now people ho have to read evry word letter for letter(or is it char?), thank god it is not that bad for me, i dont think i cod have done my "line of work" if i was.
it dosent help that swedish is a very hard language to learn, alot of stange rules, sub rules to the rules and stuff, some have said that it is one of the hardes languages to learn after chinese/japan'ise, not to shure that is the truth doh...

local: japp, jag kör på som bara den :P ... hmmm, tycker det börjar lukta lite bränt här;)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#29]
Maybe I am gonna register to learn sweedish. I like this language. I guess you need to know it in ragnarok. ;)

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#30]
XIP,

Skicka mig en länk. :)

/Alienforce

Sweenie(Posted 2005) [#31]
hehe, If Ragnarok (Ragnarök) is coming our way, not knowing swedish is the least of your troubles.
Ragnarok = Apocalypse = End of the world.

Xip(Posted 2005) [#32]
Sorry alienforce, i cant send anyone any links att the moment, cus my page is still to simple to hack with sql and so on....

also, i think it needs more functions before i open it publicly.

local: tyvär mannen, du får vänta en stund till...
nehe om man skulle ta o fixa lite cola innan man skakar sönder helt ;)

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#33]
I'm not sure if my site is simple to hack...is there a way to find out? Hmm...I guess there is. :D

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#34]
Never be ashamed of your disability. You havent :)
I have "Cerebal dysfuncion"(Spell that!!!?) and it affects me slightly. However, most of my crappy posts could be fixed with some more efford

So, I commend you :D

Xip(Posted 2005) [#35]
@No enemies:
well, a common problem is sql insertion, people can add sql commands into the input fiealds to do damage to the database, best way to fix this is to have filter functions that remove alla harmful chars from strings enterd by the user, like " = , and so on.
my page dont have anny if these filters just yeat, but i will add them ass son all the basic functions of the community works.

@Cygnus:
im am not ashamed of my dyslexia, but it is a real pain in the ass to have to explain it evry day, evry time i write in a forum or on IRC, and all those flame wars people start aginst me only cus im having problem with spelling, i get tons of "learn to spell retard"... and so on evry day, and after a while it starts to get on my nerves.

but i gues that is the world we live in to day, people just cant stand people ho are different.

NEWS: well, the latest from the front line is this, after alot of thinking and some "your community suck, we dont need one more..." from some people i have spoken to, i have desided that i am going to do it as an pure swedish site for programming in general(all languages are wellcome).
after looking around the net for a while, i dident find a singel page that was pure swedish and for programmers.
some "bright" people said that "well, ther is the coderworld.net" ... yeas, thats bright, its a ENGLISH page made by swedish people...hmmm, oky, so mutsh for a swedish page...
so, since ther dosent seems to be any big pages, i think this is a great place for me to start, also, i can write in swedish!;) hehe *wohoow!*

and yeas, feair not, ther will ofcorse be a blitz section, i am not giving up on you people complitly ;)

Xip(Posted 2005) [#36]
Well, im not shure how mutsh people here care since it is now a swedish page for any type of programming language(including blitz) but anyways....

here is some logos im working on =)
http://xip.servebeer.com/devworldLogo.bmp
http://xip.servebeer.com/testGold.bmp
http://xip.servebeer.com/testBlue.bmp

Note that the 2ond blue version was made for a different blue color set for the page(light ise/blue)

the gray is the first one i did(listing all other sprites), and the yellow was an experiment to make it fitt current skin colors...

this is only half the word, it will say "devworld" wen finnished :)

the rest of the page layout is NOT finnished, so yeas, i dont need to be reminded on stuff like missing icons or other small stuff, i have alot on my minds at the moment.
ther is still alot to say about the layout... but it is a later problem.

Alienforce(Posted 2005) [#37]
Really like the blue one!

Looking forward to see your site.

Best,

Alienforce

PS. Glöm inte skicka en länka när det blir klart

Xip(Posted 2005) [#38]
@Alienforce:
Tanx, Me to! :P
i like the blue one to, but when i show it for a graphic-skilled friend, hi liked the gold one more (of corse, we always argue on stuff like this)

local:
Nejdå, det lär jag inte glömma, blir nog en ny tråd för det skulle jag tro, den här har blivit helt nerlusad med annat trams ;)

men det lär dröja en vecka till minst skulle jag tro, massor av functioner som ska funka :)

nåja, håll ut :)

Xip(Posted 2005) [#39]
Well, here is some new screen shots of the community =)
shanged the skin from the orange one to a light-sky-blue one... of corse, now people is saying that the orange one was nicer... bahh, people never seems to be happy ;)