RoboSumo - Robot programming simulation game

Community Forums/Showcase/RoboSumo - Robot programming simulation game

John J.(Posted 2005) [#1]
RoboSumo is a 3D computer simulation of Robot Sumo. Robot sumo is played by two robots, trying to force their opponent off the playing area. This "sport" is really a king-of-the-hill game played by robots on an elevated platform. In addition to standard robot sumo, RoboSumo includes the use of missiles (optional), which can be used to blast the opponent off the playing area.

RoboSumo allows you to program and customize your robot by selecting from multiple body styles, wheel styles, and flag colors. You can also adjust the gearing ratio. You can configure the electronics to use a microcontroller chip, so you can program your robot in the BASIC programming language, and watch your robot fight all by itself!

If you don't want to program your robot, you can configure the robot to use remote control, so you can control your robot manually, using the arrow keys, and the space key to fire a missile. With two remote control robots selected, you can use the arrow keys, while a friend uses the WASD keys (and the left control key to fire missiles), allowing you to compete against each other.

Click Here to download the full version of RoboSumo (5.57 MB)
March 21, 2005: Added missiles (optional)
March 26, 2005: Added Rnd() and Int() functions

Screenshots:

The RoboSumo IDE with a simple robot program loaded.

Here two sumo-bots are competing.

This shows a robot firing missiles at it's opponent.

Luke.H(Posted 2005) [#2]
Looks cool,

I have not downloaded it yet but I was looking for a program like this.

Luke.H(Posted 2005) [#3]
I played it, it's a good game, but the game feels limited.

You need more than just pushing the robots there are not many tactics.

Maybe add mines, Missiles or just boxes around the place.

But it also needs to stay simple.

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#4]
Awesome!!!

I've built some sumo-bots in real life
(sumo is a very common robotics competition, usuaually with a black ring lined by a white line)

In the editor, moving around with arrows occasionally produces box letters...

Otherwise its pretty nice. Check out www.mindrover.com for a look at what I think would be cool for this game to become. Only difference is programming instead of wiring, and 3d instead of 2d physics.

puki(Posted 2005) [#5]
Aha, "Bot Builder" - I told "John J" about your interest in robots earlier - I new you would appear here.

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#6]
Very cool idea - Programming Robots and fighting!
Definatly gonna give this a try soon!

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#7]
DAMN! I was going to make this game!!! Looks great! I'm going to download it right now!

Bot Builder(Posted 2005) [#8]
I still am working on an interpreter to make something like this....

not just sumo though - war and sports as well.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#9]
There's a game called Robot Battle avaiable for free on Garage Games ... I believe it's more complex than this and it's also a few years old.

regaa(Posted 2005) [#10]
wow, very funny. could you put weapons in and is there a doc for the robot commands?

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#11]
@regaa

There is a manual.pdf in the main folder, where all commands and even the syntax is declared.

RiverRatt(Posted 2005) [#12]
This game is great. Do you have any sample robot programs to look at?

John J.(Posted 2005) [#13]
Thank you for all your comments and suggestions.

I have just added missiles to RoboSumo! The updated .zip file has been uploaded to the same URL, so the link above will still work.

BotBuilder: I have not been able to reproduce the editor problem you described (I have tried it on two computers). I would like to fix this - any additional information would be helpful.

RiverRatt: There should be three sample robots. Just go to RoboLab, click "Load Robot", and load one of the sample robots. To view the code, click the "Program" tab.

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#14]
How about doing custom skins and online multiplayer? Robot wars! I still watch that silly program ocasionally, great fun. :)

{cYan|de}(Posted 2005) [#15]
missles ruin it i think

John J.(Posted 2005) [#16]
Missiles are completely optional. In the settings menu, select "No missiles" from the missiles option, if you would like to turn off missiles completely.

agent4125(Posted 2005) [#17]
This is cool. I've been wanting to do something like this ever since playing Omega (Origins) back on the Amiga, where you build tanks and program the brain. IIRC, you had to navigate actual terrain and could upgrade your hardware as you go.

I like the simplicity of this though. Instead of adding more weapons, I wonder if adding some pickups for scoring around the edge would work better. That way there is some incentive to stay on the outside, but with added risk.

Anyway, nice work.

RiverRatt(Posted 2005) [#18]
I think it would be better to win new parts, or purchase new parts with with money you win. Say tires with more friction, heavier bodies, faster moters stronger moters,
superior brains ect.
I agree that missles don't realy belong in this game but it's a cool cheat. Also some more levals would be cool. Like one where the platform stands high and you nock your aponent down into the pit where other robots have long bin laid to rest, two go in only one comes out.
Oh ya one last thing, could you add a rand comand to the language?

BODYPRINT(Posted 2005) [#19]
Very nice John.

I have 1 request. It is a little hard to understand what the sensor values are going to be.
Is it possible to add, say, a VU meter showing the output of the sensors at certain angles. In real life you would need to measure the voltage of the sensors I assume.
It would make programming the bots a little easier.

John J.(Posted 2005) [#20]
I've added two more functions to the language: Rnd() for random numbers, and Int() for rounding off numbers to integers.

Phil74: The GetSensor(angle) function returns the sensor "voltage" at angle. If angle was 90, it would return the voltage of a sensor to the robot's right. 180 would be behind the robot. GetGroundSensor(angle) works in the same way that GetSensor() works. For debugging, I could add a list of sensor voltages if you think that would help.

Trader3564(Posted 2007) [#21]
www.robotshop.ca has some good stuff in case you want to build a robot from scratch. For like arrounf $1000 you can make a very intelegent bot :)