My first Screenshot

Community Forums/Showcase/My first Screenshot

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#1]
This is my first screenshot I want to present to you and I will be happy, if you can give some replys about it.

Its a screenshot from a current game I'm programming in BMax using BasicGL.

[Edit]
New Screenshot with darker Trees

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#2]
Looks pretty good, for a first screenie VERY good. The trees are too bright IMHO.

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#3]
Cool. :) Very good for a first screenie! Better than my first one!

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#4]
I didn't know you could do 3D with BMax.

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#5]
Steven -- "I'm programming in BMax using BasicGL."
:)

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#6]
Mirrored water looks nice (if a bit 'mill-pondish') but the lens flare is too in-yer-face for my taste.

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#7]
@Steven: it is also posiible to do 3D in Bmax without BasicGL, but then you have all to hardcode.

@Blackjumper: Sorry for my english but what does 'mill-pondish' mean?

DH(Posted 2005) [#8]
@Blackjumper: Sorry for my english but what does 'mill-pondish' mean?

I was going to say it was too reflective (too clean and stagenant).

Lens flare is too intrusive.

Other then that, looks like a good start!

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#9]
Well, here is one more Screenshot:

This one is with realtime shadows: I hope the next BasicGl Version will have some better Shadow options for billboards.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#10]
Aside from the very reflective water, over-exposed flora and extremely brilliant flare, I think it's really good.

Don't get me wrong, I am totally blown-away with the quality of the screenie, especially because it's your first. It's so much better than I could do, I was merely pointing out the aspects that let it down from being perfick!

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#11]
Thx for those replys but with BasicGL it is not very hard to code something like this.
The Flora is at maximum details so it may look very heavy, but it also should look like a very grassy landscape.
With this settings It will only run about 5 - 11 FPS so it is far away to be used in a real game.
And the scene is made between 5 minutes so there is no great balancing.
With the next Version of BasicGL there will be CG shader support, so I am able to implement a grassshader, what will increase performance alot, I think.
The water is based on a shaderbased Waterplane with cubic environmentmapping and I am just looking forward to find other possibilties to realise this.

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#12]
very cool man !

I still cant get BasicGL to work.

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#13]
@Deux:
What kind of problems do you have with BasicGL, maybe I can help you?

SillyPutty(Posted 2005) [#14]
<bad_dir>

try as I may I cant get it right, I think I am just being stupid :)

klepto2(Posted 2005) [#15]
Have you tried to delete the "." in front of (in my case: "C:\BasicGL\.Blitzmax") Blitzmax so that the path is named "C:\BasicGL\Blitzmax".

This works fine for me.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#16]
The trees need more leaves?

BlackJumper(Posted 2005) [#17]
mill-pondish

A mill pond is a very flat, calm stretch of water. I was using a noun as an adjective !

Your new screenshot also shows some 'shearing' of the leaf billboard in the top right corner that is spoiling the look of the rest of the scene.

Good efforts - just needing some polish !