Traffika. Work in progress. Your opinions please.

Community Forums/Showcase/Traffika. Work in progress. Your opinions please.

Viperfish(Posted 2005) [#1]
Greetings all,

After downloading Blitz3d about 5 months ago, I've been having a tremendous time with this wonderful program. It's taken me back to when I was 12 year old, sitting up to 3am hacking out insignificant little games and programs on my Commodore 64!! I'm 32 now. WOW, 20 years AGO!!

Anyway, Traffika is my first attempt at a real game. It is an Elite style space shooter. Eventually, you will be able to be bounty hunters, miners, scavengers or traders of goods to build wealth and purchase upgrades to your ship. Better ships and equipment enables you to travel to more dangerous parts of the galaxy and make even better profits.

At this stage the combat part of the game is pretty much complete. You have completely free movement in all directions. You can fly around in 'SafeSpace', which is an area immediatley around the space station. You won't be attacked unless you attack first. Travel outside of SafeSpace and you are fair game.

Here's some screen shots.

FEATURES

-View the action from multiple cameras including. Cockpit cam, chase cam, missile cam, enemy cam, lookaround cam and rear view cam.

-Sophisticated AI. Unless engaged in combat, enemy ships go about there own business. When in combat they will dogfight to get behind you. When firing at you they calculate how far to lead their target by. When in groups they work together.

-Target missiles with the T key. Launch with SPACE. When a missile is targeted and launched press 5 for MissileCam and watch the action as the missile snakes and weaves, hunting down it's target. Beware your enemies have missiles too.

-SafeSpace. A large area around the spacestation in which you are safe from being attacked. Use it to master your controls but beware - speed limits apply. (In the future you will lose credits for speeding in SafeSpace. At the moment you get a message but no real penalty. I may end up dropping this feature all together if people dont like it.)

-Identification computer. Press U to identify the nearest enemy craft. A HUD pointer indicates the direction of the craft if it is off screen. Pressing I cycles through all the ships in the immediate area. In future versions the ID computer will only be available as an expensive upgrade.

-Music that changes with the action. Slow and ambient when all is quiet. Thumping and loud when lazers start zinging past your cockpit.

-Radar based on the original elite style radar. Vertical lines indicate the height of the craft compared to the players ship. If you've never seen this style of radar it can be tricky to understand at first.

TIPS
Watch your speed when in combat. Too much speed and you'll over take your targets. Not enough speed and you become a sitting duck.
Keep an eye on your lazer temperature.

Thanks for looking at this folks. The whole idea of posting this is for your opinions, suggestions and feedback. If it sucks, tell me. If you can see areas where this can be made better then please let me know. Praise is OK,too :)

Download it here.
traffika.zip

Regards
John Pitchers

keyboard(Posted 2005) [#2]
ok, downing, back to ya

joncom2000(Posted 2005) [#3]
The screenshots look good, will download and try it for you :)

keyboard(Posted 2005) [#4]
sorry for the huge delay in responding. ummm... personal issues and stuff have intervened in my "online activities"...

anyway...

works fine for me, on win98se 512Mb RAM G3 Ti200 card.

There was a little distortion on the "red planet" when it got low on the horizon, but no biggie. Nice smooth action and believable space. All I would have asked for is using the mouse for directional movement, as I'm more used to it, and pursuing enemies etc with can be a little frustrating... like, where'd he go??? where am I? etc...

nice work ;)