Brium XG-72

Community Forums/Showcase/Brium XG-72

Réno(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi,

Here are the last news of the work in progress. I'll update this post each time to the final version.

Version 1.0 [19-08-2005] :

Here are the last screenshots of the game :

Demo version :
http://www.thereeteam.com/telechargement/BriumXG72_demo.exe

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#2]
Even though I always sucked at those side-on running shooters, the graphics on this are pretty good!

Falelorn(Posted 2005) [#3]
love it, looks great. Side Scrolling games are the best.

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#4]
Cool!
I love the graphics style you guys have like in SaturnMD, Alice, this game, and Roy Caverna. It is awesome! Keep up the good work!

JustLuke(Posted 2005) [#5]
A little garish and the sprites look way too large for my liking.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#6]
I think it has a unique look, I like it.

Réno(Posted 2005) [#7]

{cYan|de}(Posted 2005) [#8]
graphics put me off... they make me feel ill to look at them. (no really this kinda style i just cant play with)

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#9]
brings back memories of the 16-bit days

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#10]
great progress!

Réno(Posted 2005) [#11]
New update !

;)

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#12]
how can I download a demo?

Réno(Posted 2005) [#13]
Sorry, there is no demo at the moment. I've got beta-versions for french friends : it's easier for me to understand french feedback ;) I will release a pre-demo ( with sound, etc ) in 8 weeks ( I hope ).

Réno(Posted 2005) [#14]
New update ;)

Réno(Posted 2005) [#15]
Hi !

After 13 months of coding ( 4-10 hours of coding per day ), "Brium XG-72" is finished !

You can download the demo here ( 10 Mb ) :
http://www.thereeteam.com/telechargement/BriumXG72_demo.exe

Feedback is welcome, good or bad. I would like your opinion about the english translation too.

By !

kragoth74(Posted 2005) [#16]
Very nice ;-)

Assez impressionnant, le jeu est très soigné et le côté rétro est sympa... Quelques remarques cependant :

- la configuration des boutons du joystick est assez particulière... Le bouton 1 pour changer d'arme, c'est assez spécial :-(

- La jambe arrière du perso principal est presque invisible, ça fait bizarre de sauver le monde avec un robot unijambiste... ;-)

- Heu... y'a pas de méchants ?

Cela dit, j'aime bien... ;-)

Réno(Posted 2005) [#17]
Salut kragoth74 !

Merci d'avoir essayé le jeu ;)

Pour la configuration, tu peux changer tous les boutons, même le 1 ( qui correspond par défaut au changement d'arme ).

Si tu ne vois pas la jambe, c'est que ton écran est réglé trop sombre ; même sur les photos tu ne la vois pas cette fichu jambe ( désolé, il n'y a pas de correction Gama dans le jeu )??

Pour les méchants c'est plus des engins de défense. Car en suivant la trame de l'histoire, ils ne s'attendent pas à subir une attaque. C'est comme si finalement cette météorite cachait en fait quelque chose d'autre... les six premiers secteurs sont en fait une sorte de tutorial pour apprendre à gérer Brium, se familiariser avec l'environnement... par la suite ça se complique plus.

>english web/translation ( sorry ) :
For the configuration, you can change all the buttons, even 1 (which(who) corresponds by default to the change of weapon).

If you do not see the leg, it is because your screen is settled(adjusted) too dark; even on photos you do not see her(it) this scarf leg (saddened, there is no correction Gama in the game(set))??

For the ennemis it is more machines of defence. Because by following the weft of the history, they do not expect to undergo an attack. It's as if finally this meteorite hid in fact something else the first six sectors are in fact a sort of tutorial to learn to manage Brium, to get acquainted with the environment afterward that complicates more.

kragoth74(Posted 2005) [#18]
Ah ben voilà... ;-) En attendant, bravo ! Tu as fait un sacré boulot...

Well done, you did a very nice job... (lousy translation ;-)

Anatoly(Posted 2005) [#19]
Nice game!
The only complaint is that you can't select gamepad/keyboard control if you have both...

Réno(Posted 2005) [#20]
>kragoth74
Il y a un moyen de te contacter ? Si tu aimes la 2D, je cherche toujours des personnes compétentes pour essayer mes jeux en développement pour des conseils et suggestions.

>Anatoly
You can ! Just configure the keyboard, and the gamepad. Then, if you want, you can use them during the game ( I'm not sure why doing that, but you can ).

;)

kragoth74(Posted 2005) [#21]
Ben sûr... wolverine74@... ;-)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#22]
Réno, love your graphics style!

However, I did get bored with the demo because there doesn't seem to be anything to shoot - just collecting Stellar Stones.

Réno is locking the game to the monitor refresh which gives really smooth results. I've thought of doing this but people with standard CRT Monitors don't seem to like 60Hz - opinions on this?

QuickSilva(Posted 2005) [#23]
Steve, just out of interest how do you lock a monitors refresh to 60hz or have I misunderstood?

Jason.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#24]
Locking it to montitor refresh would give different game speeds on different machines depending on the refresh rate e.g. 60Hz or 100Hz! Surely he hasn't done this? If you read the Blitz FAQ, it points to a post that says you can't or shouldn't fix the refresh rate as it may damage some displays.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#25]
QuickSilva, in BlitzMax (which I think he's using) you can set the monitor refresh rate - Graphics (Width, Height, Depth, Hertz=60).

No Grey Alien he's forcing a single refresh rate at 60Hz (you can't change it to some ridiculously high rate) so things will run the same speed on different computers.

QuickSilva(Posted 2005) [#26]
Ah, I see. I knew this was possible in BMax but I assumed it was one of the other Blitz`s for some reason.

Jason.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#27]
Cool, could be worth upgrading to Blitz Max just for that.

OK I can't get the game to play. It loads, I select english language and then press space at the top to start the game and it keeps skipping quite fast though all these tutorial screens and space or fire doesn't start the game. Any advice?

kragoth74(Posted 2005) [#28]
Grey Alien,

You need to push the "Start" key. By default, it's the "T" key (or button 5 on the gamepad). The default key assignment is pretty strange... ;-)

I think the game has been written with Blitz+, not Max.

trb(Posted 2005) [#29]
Actually, if you read the game timing options in game, you have three options..
1.set up your monitor to 60hz and let the game run based on refresh rate (100% efficiency)
2.classic-delta timing (60% efficiency) jerky
3.calculate your monitors refresh rate and adjust game speed globally based on that

Reno posted a function waay back on how to calculate a monitors refresh rate. I wasn't too interested back then because I thought frame tweening was the answer to everything (even though minor jerks and stutters) but now that I see method 3 can work I'm going to have to have another look!

Réno(Posted 2005) [#30]
[However, I did get bored with the demo because there doesn't seem to be anything to shoot - just collecting Stellar Stones.]
>For the ennemis it is more machines of defence. Because by following the weft of the history, they do not expect to undergo an attack. It's as if finally this meteorite hid in fact something else the first six sectors are in fact a sort of tutorial to learn to manage Brium, to get acquainted with the environment afterward that complicates more.

[If you read the Blitz FAQ, it points to a post that says you can't or shouldn't fix the refresh rate as it may damage some displays.]
>That's boring. I don't know why forcing 60hz will be more dangerous that forcing resolutions or color deep. 60hz is a default refresh. When runing the bios, all computers run at 60hz.

For "BlitzMax" I think that's not a real 60hz, "BMax" just slow the game to 60hz without forcing anything ( like the WaitTimer() ). I use the standard "BlitzBasic" for "Brium".

[Grey Alien]
>You are the second person to tell me that. I have a few question :
- Are your graphic card'drivers forcing the Vsync OFF ?
- What timming method are you using for the game ( 60hz, classic, optimized ) ?

trb(Posted 2005) [#31]
btw, forgot to mention, very nice style, reminds me of Super Metroid! i've missed playing side scrollers like this

Réno(Posted 2005) [#32]
[3.calculate your monitors refresh rate and adjust game speed globally based on that]
>jerky too, but "more" stable ;)

QuickSilva(Posted 2005) [#33]
- Are your graphic card'drivers forcing the Vsync OFF ?

Mine were and the game ran way to fast, flicking through screens in seconds!

Alls fine now though, great looking game. Really smooth too. I thought it was max, just goes to prove that Blitz is easily able to create smooth fast 2D games. Greate job.

Not sure about the key choices though. I mean Z for fire and R for jump? I almost dislocated my hand :)

Jason.

Anatoly(Posted 2005) [#34]
Mine ran too fast too!
Just switch in the least compatible mode (calulate display refresh rate or something...) and everything will be fine!

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#35]
For "BlitzMax" I think that's not a real 60hz, "BMax" just slow the game to 60hz without forcing anything ( like the WaitTimer() ). I use the

For Max, it first tries to force the refresh rate to what has been selected (ie 85)... if that's unsuccessful, it defaults to the first refresh rate returned by the OS/drivers... which is usually 60. In that case, Max will run the gamecode internally at 85 still, but the refresh rate is only 60. It is hoped that in the future Max will try to pick the closest refresh rate that matches the one desired by coder... ie if coder chooses 105, Max would pick 100 if the drivers/OS/monitor supported it. The only danger here is when the drivers lie and say the monitor can support a mode when it actually can't.

And while you're correct about all computers supporting 60hz (afaik) there could be a combination of resolution/bitdepth that can't be supported at 60hz, which could cause problems regardless. Of course, then it is up to the drivers to report correctly that that resolution can't be supported. If they don't, and a monitor fries, it really isn't Max's fault.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#36]
Yes, my graphics driver was set to no vsync, when I changed it to "application specifies" everything was fine. The keys are a bit weird though!

Réno(Posted 2005) [#37]
[Yes, my graphics driver was set to no vsync, when I changed it to "application specifies" everything was fine. The keys are a bit weird though!]
> yes, some drivers forces the Vsync OFF now.

Vanilla
>My DX is set to 60hz, all resolutions of my desktop are set to 60hz. Every demos of BM run at 75hz here which is the maximum my monitor can render.

[there could be a combination of resolution/bitdepth that can't be supported at 60hz]
>All resolution must be at minimum 60hz. That's the minimum for a standard SVGA monitor.

I try again BM, but can't, the demo expired. So can you send me a simple .exe moving a box in "forcing" 60hz full screen ? I'll tell you if it works here.

Feedback for Brium :
>thanks, and please configure the keys if you play with the keyboard !!! ;)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#38]

I try again BM, but can't, the demo expired. So can you send me a simple .exe moving a box in "forcing" 60hz full screen ? I'll tell you if it works here.

Réno - try this...

www.elliottproductions.co.uk/temp/Box.exe

Réno(Posted 2005) [#39]
Steve Elliott
>your .exe does nothing...

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#40]
Try it again (uploaded a different version).

Réno(Posted 2005) [#41]
Works now.

If DirectX is set to 60hz, your prog runs at 60hz.

If DirectX is set to 75hz, your prog runs at 75hz...

I have noticed that the box moves with little jerks, so I assume that you are using something like delta-timming or WaitTimer().

So actually, BM forces nothing :/

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#42]
No the first version tried to set to 60Hz and failed - works fine here though (and very smoothly). And if you set it to 75 when I've tested it at 60 then that might account for the jerkiness.

The second version just set the resolution and colour depth - but I thought it might work as the default is supposed to be = 60 according to the docs.

Hmm, strange - I'll take another look at the docs tomorrow.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#43]
Réno, could you tell me what results you get from the program now? Thanks.

Réno(Posted 2005) [#44]
"warning : unable to set refresh rate. please..." :/

For your own tests, move the box faster ( like 8 pixels per loop ) to see the performences.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2005) [#45]
Réno, why can't BlitzMax detect a 60Hz refresh at 800 X 600 in 16, 24 or 32 bit colour on your system? Works fine here. It should be able to get one of those modes running at 60Hz - driver or BlitzMax issue I wonder?

btw somebody started a related thread here...

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=50558

Réno(Posted 2005) [#46]
"Brium XG-72" demo and full version aviable now ( 10 Mb download ) !

Find your way, destroy ennemis and collect all the stellars stones to go to the next level. 24 levels to complete the game, 5 songs and 68 sounds effects.

Go to :
http://www.thereeteam.com/id04/id04.htm

Physt(Posted 2005) [#47]
WOW! Cant tell you how much I hate your loading screens and start interface. I never got to the game because I couldn't figure out how to start the damn thing. arrrhhhgg

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#48]
I managed to get into it on the 4th attempt - so tempted to give up but decided to take it as a challenge. This will lose you a lot of potential sales if not fixed.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#49]
Any chance of a Mac version and with English words?

Réno(Posted 2005) [#50]
1/If you select the "60hz" timming mode, your screen must run at 60hz and Vsync must be disabled in your graphic card's drivers, else select the "classic" timming.

2/Don't forget to remap the keyboard/joystick keys in the options.

In the next games, I'll make a Windows laucher with BlitzPlus.

English translation > just look at the flag option...

Mac version : I don't know... maybe if I could translate the code in OpenGl with BlitzPlus.