Super Blitz Bros - Experimenting with levels...

Community Forums/Showcase/Super Blitz Bros - Experimenting with levels...

rsbrowndog(Posted 2005) [#1]
All,

Have decided to build "proper" levels for Super Blitz Bros, rather than the maze-based levels seen previously. It's still in the early stages of being implemented but I built a very quick (i.e. 5 mins work) map in Maplet (awesome tool) just to test out a few ideas. Here is a pic:

I think this is going to work out quite well! The real levels will be larger than the one shown in the pic (about 4 times the size) and I will also be adding things like trees and other objects to keep the landscape interesting.

Cheers,

Ryan

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#2]
Woah thats looking TONS better!!! :D

GfK(Posted 2005) [#3]
Looks good. Only thing I'd say is stick a shadow/quad under each coin to give it more depth, as its all blending together a bit too much as it stands...

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#4]
Yes, looking better now.

I agree about the coin shadows, also do they spin? They should, and add an environment map to them too to make them appear shiny/reflective. Check out the teapot demo in the MAK folder in the 3d samples - not real hit these days and a great effect.

Perhaps add a variety of interesting features too, ups and downs (hills and gulleys), anything which alters the height and the view will be much more interesting.

A rock face would be better than a 'square' shaped wall around the edge. Make it more like a Hannah Barberra scene with cone trees and large grey rocks etc.

Also perhaps have a 'special' feature for each level to make it worth going to see what the next level's feature is.

I can see a pipe too, so that will obviously go to another sub level yes?

Its coming on nicely!

IPete2.

rsbrowndog(Posted 2005) [#5]
All,

Here's another bit of prototyping, this also changes the view to a more zoomed-out version:

Thoughts???

Cheers,

Ryan

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#6]
Thoughts???

First thought: "MY EYES!!! IT BURNS!!!"

Perhaps it's in part the monitor as well, but the screens seems kind of overly saturated using mostly bright greens and yellow hues.

Graphically it seems OK, but I think the color scheme could use a little more work.