Advanced Wars like turn based war game.

Community Forums/Showcase/Advanced Wars like turn based war game.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#1]
Here is a Turn Based war game I've been working on for quite some time. It's Alpha, so play at your own risk. It's actually pretty stable so I don't think you'll run into to much hassle. I'd like to thank Matt from Banished Studios for hosting the web space for me! :)

In it's current state works in hot seat mode. It only supports 2 players right now. There is no IA, and the units need a lot of game ballancing. Shows a lot of potential though and I really need to finish it considering how much work I've already put into it. I actually took a 4 month break from it because it was totally burning me out. But I've been thinking about it again, and I think I'm ready to go the distance with it.

Network play is out of order at that moment. I will fix that soon.

Demo: http://www.banished-studios.com/~craig/WarGameDemo.exe

Some notes about playing...

* When moving, the green arrows show how far you can move and still fire.
* The Radar circle is the fire range of the unit. not totally accurate at this point. I think it's actually a little shorter range then what is depicted.
* Enemy units will fire at you during your turn if they didn't fire the last turn and have moves left. Just like X-Com.
* When a unit is moving, it will stop if it spots an enemy.
* Infentry can capture neutral building.
* Buildings can manufactor more units.
* Your primary resource is oil so capture those building first if you can
* Don't use the mine layer. There's a reason it's free :)
* You win the game if you destroy all the of the enemy units.
* Use the transports and transport choppers as soon as you can!!

Have fun, and give me feedback.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#2]
Sweet! Advanced Wars was was one of my favorite games of all time ... totally addicting. I'll check this out in a bit.

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#3]
I'll check this out after school!
Looks awesome! I too loved Advance Wars!

Lattyware(Posted 2005) [#4]
I'm downloading this now! I love Advanced wars, And I tried making a version, but failed badly lol. Looks good, well done.

I presume you are going to sell this, I'll definatally downnload it if it's free, and maybee buy it if it's cheap :P

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#5]
I've still got a lot of work to do to finish it, but like I said, it is playable.

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#6]
Wow, absolutely awesome! I was attempting an Advance Wars clone but, as most projects do, it ended before it began. So far so good, except for a few things that should be addressed, like, NOW.

1. The framerate seems like it's being help back by the BCF GUI library. I say you need to convert to a faster simpler GUI system (considering there's hardly a GUI needed in the game) like BlitzUI. That will allow you to make windows without titlebars for things like the mini-map.

2. The only differences between the Orange units and the Blue units is color. I'm not complaining about a lack of variety, I'm saying there's no reason the infantry on the Orange team shouldn't look like another HQ building when they show up fine on the Blue team. It's a simple Hue/Saturation change. If you aren't really a graphic designer, I can make the unit color changes in 5 minutes tops. My email is brody@... if you need 2D spritework (I specify 2D to imply I don't do 3D-like sprites).

Increadible work so far, Craig!

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#7]
Thanks for the complaments. I don't understand the #2 statement there though. Are you asking for different unit designs, or different colors?

I've had some troubles with the BCF GUI not running correctly on other peoples machines. I did purchase another system, ToolUI, hopefully that's better. If you know if there are issues with this one please let me know. I'll check out that Blitz UI you mentioned. Do you know where I can find that?

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#8]
Nice looking unit gfx! Turn based strategy games are SO underrated... ppl should really play them more instead of DOOM576. I guess nobody wants to stop and think, it's easier to run brainlessly and blast everything with a shotgun.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#9]
Yeah, I'm really sick of 3d Shooters. How many times can you reinvent the wheel! I'm more into unique genre games. Not like turn-based wargames are new. Their just a forgotten genre. I think games like Advance Wars help to point out that those games aren't really dead, they just need to be revisualized. Then again, everyone has different tastes. I personally don't like the fact that I can go online in a shooter game and get my ass kicked by a 14 year old that does nothing but play that game all day long.

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#10]

get my ass kicked by a 14 year old that does nothing but play that game all day long.

Yup. Not to even mention those idiot campers and cheaters...

Dreamora(Posted 2005) [#11]
I love this kind of games :)
the last really great game in this genre was M.A.X. 2 :)

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#12]
This is awesome! Sooooooo fun!

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#13]
Very nice!

One thing: Pressing escape should open an in game menu from which I can exit.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#14]
Mr Picklesworth, that's easy enough to do. I'm acutally revamping in to UI to a new system. I was using BCF but it had some performance problems on other machines. After I finish that, I'm on to the combat cinematics. I've already written a system that will load and play Lightwave 3d scene files. I'm going to do a cheesy Gi-Goe 2D animation style look. I'll post my progress.

Curtastic(Posted 2005) [#15]
Thats really cool.
I always play andvance wars and wish you could build defences and roads. That would be cool

When I quickly click and release anything in the GUI, it usually does not get that I clicked anything.
There is a method I used in my mouse handler (http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1156) that fixes the quick button-released problem. On low FPS, you could click and release the button on the same loop and it still has to work.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#16]
Yeah, there are a lot of problems with this UI. The biggest being the framerate. It seems to be slow on a lot of system. I get 60 fps on mine, but I've gotten a lot worse on others. Some as bad as 6 fps! So I'm wiping out the slow ui and replacing it. I hope to have a better version for early next week. I'll check out that code too.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#17]
Ok Coorrae. I checked out that mouse code. I ended up having to write something very similar to that but your is much better! I'll see if I can incorporate that into the next version. Thanks!

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#18]
Actually, I'm considering revamping the method in which the combat is controlled. Right now I'm just using a combat result matrix. Basically each unit has a strangth of 100. I have a table that lists how much damage each unit damages each other unit. I'm starting to not like this because it makes changes to the game machanics really time consuming. I have to test a lot! I'm thinking of using the "D&D" route and using unit base and weapon system. Perhaps the base has a strangth of 100 and a unit class like tank, or air, or whatever. Then I could mount a weapon on a unit that affects those stats and classes respectively. Sorry, I'm really just thinking out loud at this point. If you guys who really like war games have any idea, please pass them on. If anyone wants to get really brave, I can give you the excell spreadsheet with the battlematrix. The game takes that file directly.

Curtastic(Posted 2005) [#19]
exel... madness

I had the click problem because it was running at 14 fps. it was somehow running shooth though so I assumed that was the normal fps

ok I just added MouseFlush() to the mouse handler

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#20]
15 fps! Yuck! I definately want you to test out the new ui version when it's ready.

Curtastic(Posted 2005) [#21]
The game was actually really smooth at 15 fps
well i would like to test the ui

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#22]
New version up, replaced the old gui. hopefully this will speed up the framerate.

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#23]
Just tried it. Love the graphics and the concept, but I only get 12fps. (Pentium 1GHz, 512MB RAM, GeoForce FX 5200 128MB).

Jimbob(Posted 2005) [#24]
I had a bug in the original...dunno if it's fixed, sometimes, if you move a unit and then click on it again straight away as it reaches its target its range of movement lets it go further than it could originally go. Sometimes it just shows it can go further but stops at its original range after clicking again.

Also, maybe you should extend the fog of war calculation a little further than the edge of the screen, because you can see squares appear at the edges of the screen that haven't been uncovered yet.

Good tho, I love Advance Wars, and can't wait for this to be made...

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#25]
Your new gui update is good.

Two things:
In the create portfolio screen, if you can, maybe make it so that pressing enter will do the same thing as pressing the OK button, and that the name entry text field is automatically selected. It just speeds things along a bit :)

Also, I seem to get a spontaneous mav when I exit.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#26]
Yeah, I'm still dealing with the exit bug. The most important test for me with this latest version is to make sure that the framerate is better on other peoples machines.

I think I'll work on some of the ingame bugs next.

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#27]
The framerate now keeps steady at 30fps, so the GUI switch was a success -- even though beforehand I implied you really didn't need a bulky GUI library for the game. Nevertheless, it's turning out great. I want to see the game keep to Advance Wars' mechanics. My suggestions:

1. Units cannot attack at a range. It's annoying trying to transport units to flank an enemy when your APC won't move because it's afraid it'll be shelled.

2. Speaking of the APC not moving, it's increadibly annoying when I tell units to go to a certain place and they stop short for no noticable reason.

3. Capturing cities increases your income. Cities are just there to capture and provide cover and cannot produce infantry units. To build ground units (including infantry) you will have to select your HQ building or a military base that belongs to you.

The gameplay needs work, but what's there is looking good so far.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#28]
I should have another version in a week or so. The graphics are changing a lot. Well, I mean the display system is changing a lot. I'm personally not happy with game machanics right now, but I need to get a solid foundation built first, so I'm trying to get the frame rate good on all machines. Basically, I'm loosing all the reliance on 2d sprites entirely. Now the units will be generated with real-time 3D objects. Also, the major frame rate problem, the fog of war, has been reengineered. I'm hoping that that alone will nail a rockin' fast frame rate on everyones machine. Plus the real-time elements stream instead of load all at once. This means nearly no load time. There had been significant interest in a play by e-mail mode. The only way that can work is if the game has to load fast.

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#29]
I would not worry about loading times too much!

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#30]
Yea, I don't mind going and taking a 2 minute break to get a drink or something, as long as what takes 2 minutes to get into RAM is good stuff. Work on the quality, worry about load times later when you're done with other parts of the game.

If you're planning on doing COs a la Advance Wars, I can start working on those. I do vector art in Photoshop as a hobby.

Here's an example of something I did.
http://halwa.aplus.pl/cs2dp/viewtopic.php?t=25