2D Platformer examples

Community Forums/Showcase/2D Platformer examples

Nebula(Posted 2005) [#1]
http://www.cromdesign.nl/tutorials/platformerexamples.zip (1600 kb)

I have create 8 different platformer examples all with source for people who like to learn how to program them.

Examples are :
Ladders
Ice Tiles
Disolving tiles
Jetpack
Lasers
Springs
Lifts
Adams family remix

The last one is a small playable one level game where you have one life to get to the other side of the map. You have to avoid baddies and swinging balls and chains and various other dangers.
The game is slightly based on the amiga game.

The graphics for the examples are all rectangles and ovals. So its no feast for the eyes.

Amon_old(Posted 2005) [#2]
Nice little examples. SHould help solve a few of the current problems I have with making platformers.

Thanks Again :)

flaith(Posted 2005) [#3]
helps me too, thx

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#4]
yes, good work!

Dustin(Posted 2005) [#5]
Great contribution! Thanks!

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#6]
linky doesn't seem to be working right now. Would like to see your examples though :)

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#7]
This is a nice idea.

Dock(Posted 2005) [#8]
This is fantastic, thanks for sharing. It's actually quite inspiring to make a 2D platformer from this.

There is one problem with the moving platforms though... if you jump from beneath the platform, you snap to it rather than keep on jumping upwards and then dropping on to it. I wonder how you change the collision to only detect when the player is moving downwards.

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#9]
Maybe compare old_y and new_y?

Nebula(Posted 2005) [#10]

There is one problem with the moving platforms though... if you jump from beneath the platform, you snap to it rather than keep on jumping upwards and then dropping on to it. I wonder how you change the collision to only detect when the player is moving downwards.

This is a "feature" that I still have to fix. I think the fix is simple. The player type has a fall value that should be active when the player is falling down (negative gravity) The lift collision should have checked when the player is falling to jump on the lift.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#11]
thanks for putting them back up :) was hoping you would. cheers...

x_to(Posted 2008) [#12]
does anyone have the examples anymore ???

smilertoo(Posted 2008) [#13]
What's going on? This is a recent thread and the download is gone already.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#14]
nope a 3 year old thread with someone asking if anyone else has the media seeing as nebulas link dont work

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#15]
True, but now that this thread has been "dug up", does anyone have these examples (or know of any equivalent ones)?

jayparker(Posted 2008) [#16]
I found something:

http://www.geocities.com/nebula_rve/

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#17]
I guess it didn't like my downloading at 500kbps. Half way down the download the page got shotdown. LOL. Did anybody get the last 7 files that can email them to me? I can post all the files in my page until Nebula complains.

Ked(Posted 2008) [#18]
I can post all the files in my page until Nebula complains.

Something tells me that he's not going to complain...

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#19]
... just so long as you don't try to steal his dream dust.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#20]
I was about to mention that. Your probably not going to get anything meaningful out of that guy anyway.

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#21]
I was able to load them. I'll post them sometime later. I haven't looked at them, so I don't know what quality they are. so far I like the wave editor his got. Nice little tool. Maybe the rest are as good.