3D racing game

Community Forums/Showcase/3D racing game

Foppy(Posted 2005) [#1]
I am writing a racing game that should be very fast and fun to play in the end (famous first words!). I still need to add cpu drivers, realistic collisions, more roadside objects, etc. Here's a demo and a picture.

Controls are the arrow keys or A Z and < > (which I prefer), and escape to quit.

[download removed]

tonyg(Posted 2005) [#2]
Foppy,
Superb. It reminded me of F1 Grand Prix on the Amiga but without the 'lag'.
Nice (if a bit easy) handling and good sound fx.
I guess it's capped at 50fps but never dropped below.
If you'd added a lap time I'd probably still be trying it now ;)

Stevie G(Posted 2005) [#3]
This is pretty good. I like the retro look and it handles / plays quite well.

SopiSoft(Posted 2005) [#4]
pretty cool game so far, i hope you keep working on it and finish it.

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#5]
Nice... bit like "Pole Position"!

LineOf7s(Posted 2005) [#6]
Very nice, very smooth - yes, brought back feelings of Amiga F1GP.

So smooth and responsive though, that mouse steering would be handy. :o) Oh, and if you add lap timing code, I could sit and just play that one track all day long.

Gabriel(Posted 2005) [#7]
You know what I think cuz I told you on IRC, but for the sake of it, I think it's great. And as two people already said, add lap timing and I could waste many an hour trying to beat my times on this.

Foppy(Posted 2005) [#8]
Thanks for the nice comments. Ok, lap timing is also on the todo list! :) So I need to create a start/finish line now. In the meanwhile I was working on improving the system of roadside objects since it was all done a bit ad-hoc, so I can then have a better editor and start adding more objects.

WolRon(Posted 2005) [#9]
It turns the wrong way in reverse...

Foppy(Posted 2005) [#10]
Yes that will have to be changed as well :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#11]
Nice work Foppy. its REVS all over again!

Matty(Posted 2005) [#12]
This is a lot of fun - pretty much the type of game I enjoy - something that you can get straight into and muck around with for a few minutes here and there.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#13]
Fun, but for some reason the game completely stalls on my machine while playing that high-pitched screetch you get going round corners really fast.

Foppy(Posted 2005) [#14]
You mean the game slows down or pauses at that moment?

That's strange... I think that all I do there is play the soundeffect once, if it is not already playing. I will have a look at how I play that sound.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#15]
lol. I just tried it again and it's not the screetch sound that's the problem; it seems that the keyboard buffer gets filled up sometimes and the internal PC speaker makes that horrible 'beep'. It's the sound of that beep being played repeatedly. Maybe you need to put a FlushKeys somewhere!? :)

Foppy(Posted 2005) [#16]
Maybe that can happen if you press several keys at the same time... I will look into this! But I didn't have that problem myself so it could be keyboard-specific; I guess I should then add an option to configure the controls! Which is a good option to have anyway. :)

big10p(Posted 2005) [#17]
It only seems to happen when I go fast around a corner - pressing the accelerator and direction keys only - that's why I thought the 'screetch' was an actual sound effect. :)

My sys is a bit on the old side but I would have thought it could handle this OK. 850Mhz, GeForce 256.