Hightailed In PCZone Magazine

Community Forums/Showcase/Hightailed In PCZone Magazine

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hightailed - Released by Indiepath will be reviewed in the April Edition (issue 153) of PCZone Magazine in the Indie Zone Section.

A demo of the game will also be on the Coverdisks. If you can't wait until March 3rd then download the demo now via our website.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#2]
Well done.

Hightailed is a strategy game not unlike the game of chess

Be warned that if he thinks it's too much of a Chess-alike, you might end up like these guys...

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/ripoff.htm

Hopefully the result will be a bunch of new sales instead though!

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#3]
Hi ya James,

Oh, you mean this person : http://www.blitzbasic.com/Account/showuser.php?id=240

Lol, Chess, you haven't downloaded have you :)

And hopefully lots of new sales... oohh there comes another one.

Thanks to Blitz Research for making this possible...And thanks for BMAX for our next load of games.. :D (when you release the Win32 version)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2005) [#4]
Hi,

how did you go about getting game in PC ZONE?

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#5]
@Boiled Sweets..

Now that is a good question... A great deal of time has been spent putting out Press Releases, putting demos on Sharware sites and generally trying to generate some traffic. And we haven't finished yet. We have been registering on some 100 sites per day - you'd be surprised how many there are.

And it seems to be working :D

Now I cross my fingers and wait for the review document... I'm sure it'll be good :)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#6]

Lol, Chess, you haven't downloaded have you :)

I was quoting your site!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2005) [#7]
Indiepath.T,

thanks for youe help. I have registered RetroSphere with countless sites but not 100s. ?Do yu have a master list of sites I could use?

Also did PC ZONE approach you or the other way round?

Thanks

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#8]
@BoiledSweets,

We purchased a product called shareware tracker on a subscription basis, this has about 500 sites listed. It's not too easy to use but will help you get your information out there.

Also PC Zone approaced us and pretty much said that they are reveiwing the game and could we give permission for the demo to be distributed with the magazine...

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#9]
Man, you're so lucky.

{cYan|de}(Posted 2005) [#10]
email pczone, easy :P

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2005) [#11]
Tried emailing...

Never get any responces...

Hmm...

{cYan|de}(Posted 2005) [#12]
odd i emailed the other day about something and got a response the same hour

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#13]
<Boiled Sweets> Retrosphere looks cool. I loved Trailblazer on the 64 it was radical at the time.

Obviously you have enhanced it a lot but are there copyright issues? In fact what about the whole retro remake thing and copyright? I know copyright expires but after how long? I saw a Bruce Lee PC remake and thought, hmm, are you supposed to own the original C64 cassette or what or do you have to have the copyright holder's permission to make a remake? Anyone know? Does it make any different if it is free instead of sold?

cheerz in advance.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2005) [#14]
Grey, thanks. As we mention in the FAQ...

What is RetroSphere?
RetroSphere is a game based heavily on the Commodore 64 version of Trailblazer which was originally written by Shaun Southern in the early 80's. As a side note we believe that the original Trailblazer game rom is available to download/use/copy/distribute without copyright infringement as long as no profit is gained.

So, why is RetroSphere so heavily based on Trailblazer?
Well, we enjoyed the original game so much that we felt it was about time we gave the modern computer users a taste of that enjoyment.

Do you have the copyrights to the original Trailblazer game?
NO, once we decided to write RetroSphere, we checked for the original software writer and the production company involved, this led us on a diluted paper trail to www.magneticfields.co.uk who were responsible for the original's release; this is where our efforts to get the rights stopped as we were unable to get ANY feedback from anyone responsible. With a dead end in our way we took the chance and went ahead with the development of our version, seeing as how the original was not written for the PC (they didn't exist then) we feel that there are not really any problems in the legal area that can stop us.

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#15]
Thanks for the info, bit of a grey area then, but good luck.

jhocking(Posted 2005) [#16]
A lot of grey area. Just because the copyright holder didn't reply doesn't give you the go-ahead. The silence may very well have been their version of "No."

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2005) [#17]
We would dearly love to contact Shaun Southern, if anyone knows his whereabouts or email address please let me know.

As we have not used ANY material from the original game (just the concept) I think we are OK legally.

The only reference to Trailblazer is in the documentation where we say we pay homage to Shaun and the original game.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#18]
Is this a hijack?

Kuron(Posted 2005) [#19]
As we have not used ANY material from the original game (just the concept) I think we are OK legally.
You cannot copyright an idea, only the expression of an idea. If you are just using the "idea" of the original game and not any code, graphics or names from the original game, you do not have any legal worries.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2005) [#20]
Sorry Indiepath.T - it was not intended to be. I was just replying to Grey Alien.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#21]
No problem :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2005) [#22]
Sorry for the hijack, I was just interested because I read the link posted by Blitz Support. Anyway I'm sure Mr Southern would be flattered, I would be.