Spuzzle - My First Game

Community Forums/Showcase/Spuzzle - My First Game

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#1]
That's right, I've been using Blitz3D for years and this is my first game (written in Blitzmax).
I originally started this so I could write a tutorial on how to make a simple Blitzmax game, but I realised I wasn't sure what I was doing when I began so I just finished it and may get around to writing a tutorial for it sometime.

It's a (very) simple sliding puzzle game.

image used

keyboard(Posted 2005) [#2]
is there a max to plus converter for the lazy?

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#3]
Nope, not that I'm aware of anyway.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#4]
Perturb -- move FlushMem inside your While/Wend loop, as it needs to free up the memory allocated while it's in there, not when it ends.

Works nicely though -- and that's the first time I've *ever* completed one of those grid puzzles!

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#5]
I thought flushmem only needed to be called when you release or null variables?

Works nicely though -- and that's the first time I've *ever* completed one of those grid puzzles!

Cool :) I decided to make one after I got a new mobile and it had a simple (insanely easy) sliding tile game on it.

The way I've done it, it should be easy enough to use any image with it (so long as the dimensions of the image are divisible by the width and height that the board is set to).

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#6]
FlushMem is needed to clear up any memory allocated and no longer used or in scope -- temporary variables, internal stuff, as well as all objects no longer referenced. (This includes stuff inside functions and methods that are called from the same scope as FlushMem.)

You generally just have to place it in your game's main loop as it'll free up anything called from there. Leaving it out will lead to memory leakage and eventual slowdown/crashing.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#7]
ok :)

I've updated it to have flushmem, but also to put the last tile in on completion.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2005) [#8]
Great.. where do i buy it. =)

BTW.. i just bought a new chair... um.. thought you might want to know.