Early blitzmax Trinity footage

Community Forums/Showcase/Early blitzmax Trinity footage

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#1]
Here's a couple of clips from the game were making in blitzmax.

short 640x480 3mb clip

http://s93153354.onlinehome.us/RifaAlpha.wmv

longer 320x240 clip 4mb

http://s93153354.onlinehome.us/rifa2.wmv

the longer clip is actually from an older build, but currently the ball light and AI is broken whilst Antony adds his scripting engine.

Still pretty early days, antony started the engine from scratch about a month ago, I joined in to help on the art side with getting the B3d loader working and we ended up deciding to simultaniously make a game whilst developing the engine. we've been working on it for the last couple of weeks, quite a lot of time so far has been taken up with getting the B3D loader to work the way we want so I could start work on the graphics for the first Slum city Arena.

were hoping to have a alpha test version of a playable level in a couple of weeks in order to test compatibility, but I thought people would be interested in seeing some 3D stuff done in Blitzmax.

I had to use FRAPS 1.9 which is slow on my computer (athlon 1200 no SSE) as gamecam doesn't work. currently the game runs at about 55fps on Antonys Pentium 2 350 Geforce 5200FX combo.

big10p(Posted 2005) [#2]
Can we have some screenies for us 56k'ers?

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#3]
I'll stick some proper screenies up soon. I have quite a lot of texturing to do, plus there isn't any lighting appart from a ball light and player light. Haven't decided whether to lightmap it or use vertex colours. Forgot to mention something about the game. It's a futuristic mix of football (soccer for those that don't understand) and American football. Only with robots who's aim is to get off the Junk heap by winning a survivor style reality sports TV show.

Current working name for the game is "Cough" RIFA lol

Robot Intergalactic football Association

Amon_old(Posted 2005) [#4]
This looks really promising evak. Nice job. I have Trinity also but with no docs. I'm desperate for a tutorial on how to get the simplest things working.

This is cool especially seeing that Trinity is only a month in to development.

Hope to see more soon :)

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#5]
Yeah, I'm pretty much leaving all that up to antony, me being a programming noob stumbling over the most basic things heh. I get to fiddle with the source and be impressed by how much stuff he's written, have to wonder when he gets time to sleep lol.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#6]
Looks pretty cool. I miss the old Basewars games etc... Robot Sports are fun.

Picklesworth(Posted 2005) [#7]
Looks good.

Is that - *GASP* a specular map I see there?
Nice work, I can't wait until I bother to buy BMax so I can justifiably beg for the alpha to this.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#8]
yup, looks pretty good.
It kinda reminds me of speedball.
I always wanted to do a speedball remake...

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#9]
It does have specular maps but were using multipass instead of shaders to do it so it has the best compatibility for people without the latest hardware. a specular map just has the same base name as its parent texture with a _S or _S2 name tag to determine which UV channel your using. The engine checks the media automaticly and creates the specular effect if there is a map avaliable.

When we started the project we wondered what kind of game we could do that might not take a LONG time, but still challenge us enough to keep us motivated. We both grew up with Amigas and loved the old Bitmap Bros games and ended up picking speedball as inspiration for our own game, Also because there really arent that many independent sports games out there, if its good enough, it might do quite well.

We have a lot of great new gameplay ideas. Not sure how many will survive to the final product, a lot depends on how quickly the technology comes together and whether the ideas prove to be fun once we get to try them out in the game.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#10]
How'd you make it 3D? I thought BlitzMAX only supported 2D.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#11]
Antony is writing the 3D engine module in blitzmax that uses openGL directly. Everything you need to write your own engine is allready in blitzmax, just means that you have to code the entire thing from scratch yourself or wait for someone like Antony, or Blitz research to release an official 3D module.

Najdorf(Posted 2005) [#12]
well you dont have to do it REALLY from scratch, you have openGL behind you! sure its not piece of cake but its better than writing a 3D engine from blitzmax's primitive functions!

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#13]
yeah of course, if you read up on openGL and know Blitzmax well enough it's probably not that tough. But I think its cool that he got so much done in such a short time. The graphics rendering is only a small part of the engine,

It has some pretty cool dynamic AI inspired by the methods used at a place I used to work at. Its pretty neat, one unusual feature is that it allows you to paint AI behaviour modifiers on the floornmap with vertex colours . So you can influence how NPC's feel and react to different areas of your levels. At the moment the NPC's can dynamicly navigate and track a moving object and be given a timid or intimidating variable that effects how they react to one another.

it's actually quite fun as you can be the equivalent of a sheep herder where one robot is afraid of the others that chase it around the arena, you can move the player controlled robot to intercept the scared robot who tries to escape both you and the other intimidating NPCs by dynamicly plotting new paths. If your skilled enough you can herd him and all his pursuers where you want them to go.

There's other stuff too that you can't really see in the video that you will get to play with when we are ready to release an alpha test for compatibility.

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#14]
I'm desperate for a tutorial on how to get the simplest things working.

Sorry, that's the downside of early alphas :)

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#15]
Just send you one amon,

thought I'd cut and paste the code here for anyone interested in trinity.(Which is going to be a seperate product from the game. Though the game is likely to be finished before hand.)

MainEng:TEngine = New TEngine
MainEng.FindMode( 640,480,32,T_Window )

MyCam:TCamera = New TCamera
Visuals:TBatch = new TBatch 'Spawn high speed batch visualizer.

Car:TEntity = TFileIO.LoadEntity( "MyCar.b3d")
Car.UsePipeline( New TVertexArrays )

Visuals.AddEntity( Car ) 'can add more than one.

Cam.y = 15
Cam.Z = 20

Cam.WatchEntity( Car )  'Automatically tracks car

Visuals.Camera = Cam 
Visuals.Sync() '

Repeat
   MainEng.Cls( T_Color | T_Z )

Car.Turn(0,2,0)
  Visuals.Render()     

MainEng.Flip()
Forever

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#16]
that's pretty neat... both of you guys...

thx for the preview...

questions...

(1) was that running on a pc or mac...

(2) since bmax is pc / mac capable, will trinity be cross platform as well...

thx

--Mike

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#17]
1) neither of us have a Mac unfortunately, but were hoping that getting a build to run on one won't be TOO hard. Afterall the entire engine is written in Bmax itself so hopefully it won't be too much problem.

2) I guess the first question answered this one too :)

flying willy(Posted 2005) [#18]
Yeah well if thats all bmax code and no dll's then hats off to the spliffman.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#19]
when you guys get to the point that you would be looking along those lines (osx), let me know...

i should be free to do some mac beta by mid February...

either way, again, this looks very nice... i'll be one of the first on line to license it when it's ready...

... if you can keep that Anthony under control and make sure he doesn't scare off the paying customers :)

--Mike

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#20]
since bmax is pc / mac capable, will trinity be cross platform as well...

just wanted to give a clearer answer on that,
All three platforms when released publically for sale.

I'm late..Gotta go scare off some customers at the bus stop.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#21]
thx Ant... go get em :)

--Mike

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#22]
heh, yeah, we even waived a more advanced exporter to keep things cross platform and not get too carried away with incompatible effects. just about to sort out some Geforce 2 problems, seems to be fine on geforce 3 and above at the moment, would be nice if those older gen cards simply disappeared ;)

heh, thanks for reminding me about that, got to send ant the geforce 2 GL profile thingy

Snader(Posted 2005) [#23]
Cool.. speedball!

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#24]
looking fantastic guys, Well done!

Great to see BMax can come up with the goods! (I never doubted it, but I haven't seen anything else yet which suggests the 3D side is rocking!).

IPete2.