Battle Kingdoms

Community Forums/Showcase/Battle Kingdoms

coffeedotbean(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi,

Heres a very early version of my turn based game... it will be online, player vs player.

Its based on a mobile game called ancient empires and the GBA game Advanced wars.

The current gfx are from ancient empires.

The problem is an extreme lack of motivation... so many of my projects have died because half-way through I realise I cant draw and I cant release a game with... um... borrowed gfx. There fore this time im getting in there early to find some 1 to make the gfx for this game.

The game will be FREEWARE so no $$$. If you can create gfx to the same level of detail shown in this game then please get in touch, when an artist is aboard no doubt I'll be struggling to keep my motivaion in.

Download: http://www.freewebs.com/coffeedaman/bk.html (500kb)

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#2]
Looking pretty good so far, I can't get them to do anything but move, but I suppose that's all you've got in there so far.

It would be convenient if it automatically ended a turn when you have no movement left.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#3]
My first attempt at pixel art:

Will this do for a king?

Craig Watson(Posted 2005) [#4]
It looks good (a lot like Advance Wars), but bear in mind turn based games don't necessarily work that well online (unless it's aimed for the play by email kind of market.) If you've got to sit there and wait for the other guy to click "Next Turn" or something it can be kind of irritating for whoever is at the other end.

I guess you could provide some sort of motivation for people taking forever to move.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#5]
Turn based games are an *excellent* use of the intenet in my opinion, especially since they are usually significant problems of lag and data loss that hinders realtime action. Of course the other players will have to wait for a turn to proceed. That is, unless some kind of `pipelining` can be implemented. For example, while the other user is deciding what to do, you could be accessing menu's and such and decising on your next move, giving some input to the system. Then when the other player moves, chances are you won't need to rethink everything and can take your turn quickly - as can all the other players. I think a scorched earth/tanks game would be great online.

JustLuke(Posted 2005) [#6]
Looking good! I'm making something similar(ish) but without online play. Hope you don't lose motivation because I'd love to play this one day.

rsbrowndog(Posted 2005) [#7]
This looks interesting...

I quite like the simultaneous turn-based system used by Laser Squad Nemesis, maybe you could take a look at that?

http://www.lasersquadnemesis.com

Cheers,

Ryan

suremapper(Posted 2005) [#8]
I am also writing a game along the lines of a modern day Warlords

What path finding rountine did you use?

I understand that finishing a turn based game can take a lot of time.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2005) [#9]
Hi peeps.

@ Perturbatio : looks good... does that mean u want the job?

To help remove boredom from the game the other player can see what moves the other player is thinking off, you'll see the pointer move, what units he select etc. They do this in advanced wars and it works well.

@ suremapper : I use an A* algo I wrote.

{cYan|de}(Posted 2005) [#10]
yes advanced... wars ¬_¬ :P

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#11]
looks good... does that mean u want the job?

I could give it a go.

Here's some new tiles (in keeping with the current tile look and layout):

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#12]
The problem is an extreme lack of motivation... so many of my projects have died because half-way through I realise I cant draw and I cant release a game with... um... borrowed gfx

Hehehehe - borrowing GFX during initial development can be extremely convenient though, to allow you to work out all the core functionality first... Especially if it's one person doing both the coding & the drawing.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2005) [#13]
Look great (in a gameplay sense). Is it like Advance Wars?

degac(Posted 2005) [#14]
Your link doesn't work!
This is my little contribution...free use if you want it

coffeedotbean(Posted 2005) [#15]
hey... lots of interest in this =)

@ ENAY, I'm taking more ques from Avanced wars than Achient Empires... so yes it will be like advanced wars, like if you put a unit in a hut or for they heal and fighting on certain terrain in increase or decrease your attack\defence.

There will be a number of game modes 2, like "kill the king", "Deathmatch" and "Domination".

Also if you put a unit on a hut after a few turns a weak, pesent army will be created for the player to use.

.. and ive got a few other ideas.

@ Perturbatio, nice tiles.. i didn't know u were so talented, if you want to be the gfx guy then welcome aboard.

@ degac, I like perturbatio's tiles more, but hey I dont see why I could not add a custom gfx function to the game, if you dont mind I'll use yours as a 2nd set to get that feature up'n'running.

@ all, if any 1 is any good at short sound samples\effects and would like to help then post here or email, I'll need a few short 3-5 sec long jingles for the game, such as a war jingle when a player attacks another and a death jingle when a unit dies etc.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#16]
if you want to be the gfx guy then welcome aboard.

Okay then :)

If you want to mail me with the details of everything you need that would be handy.

degac(Posted 2005) [#17]
no problem for me!

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#18]
Turn-Based online games could include perhaps a time limit per turn. i.e. You get xxx seconds per "unit" to make your moves in the allotted time. When the time runss out, the turn is over regardless. This is what I have done in a 3D version of Rebelstar Raiders I am working on.

Curtastic(Posted 2005) [#19]
What if you take turns moving 1 unit at a time, like chess?

I played civilization online and it takes forever to wait for everyone, but its really fun

coffeedotbean(Posted 2005) [#20]
There will need to be a timer for each turn say a max of 2 mins per turn.

I dont like the ideas of 1 unit per turn.

@ Pert whats ya email, email me and ill reply.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#21]
done

rdodson41(Posted 2005) [#22]
Coolio, looks a lot like advance wars, which was a great game, so I hope yo dont lose motivation like I ususally do, good luck!

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#23]
Hey, This is the Advance wars clone guy. I really need to come up with a name for my game. I have a question about your game, great start by the way! How did you do the posibble move calculation. I'm doing that in my game, buts a breath first search, I think is what they call it. Anyway, it's slow to precalculate when you have unit that can travel long distances. It basically figures out every possible move, every redundent moves. I'd like a better system. Can I take a look at your code for that? If you are interesting in anything I've don't on mine, I'll happily trade up some code if your interested. Makes sense since are making the same kind of game.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2005) [#24]
I use use an A* system and all i do is set the target to -1,-1 (so the targe can never be found) and set a max search score like 8 (2 to move on grass, 1 on road 4 on mountain etc) so the A* knows when to stop looking, then when its done it thing I save out all the position the A* was allowed to search into a diferent array and use tha array to check if the user can move there.

I hope thats clear, I'm away from my home pc at the mo but ill email the source later if you still need it.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#25]
Wow, that's brilliant! I never thought of that! I'm going to give that a go with my A* lib.

I'm in the process now of converting my 2D sprite units to real-time unit. Turns out, with all the animation, I was have a lot of memory bloat loading all those anim images. I wanted the game to be very animated, and that just can't be done with out loading a lot of 2d content all the time. Luckily, I was able to come up with a 3d unit look that looks almost identicle to the 2d sprites, and they are so far away from the cam that I was able to get away with 128x128 maps. The map will still be 2d though.

I'll let you know how the a* trip turns out.

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2005) [#26]
Hey, I tried the pathfinder trick and it worked perfect! Thanks a lot!!

Gavin Beard(Posted 2005) [#27]
hey degac, great looking tiles, if ya dont mind i'll use those :D