Grand Thrift Auto

Community Forums/Showcase/Grand Thrift Auto

agent4125(Posted 2005) [#1]
Become a fugitive BARGAIN HUNTER, cruising the city in search of GREAT DEALS!

Grand Theft Auto is too expensive. Play this instead!

Grand Thrift Auto download page

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#2]
agent4125

I can see this being a very interesting game, especially if you were to tie it to some kind of internet search engine. hehe.

cermit(Posted 2005) [#3]
This game is awesome! that's all im gonna say. its awesome.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#4]
Hilarious idea! I love the concept - I'm downloading the game now. Game parody = fun.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#5]
i dunno about this game being so great and all... it just may turn out to be a winner... it may not...

... but i think that Frank Taylor's comment above should not be allowed to be passed by unnoticed, because i think he's hit on something that maybe not even he realizes may be a new and revolutionary type of game genre... hear me out now before you all start laughing your heads off :)

if you were to tie it to some kind of internet search engine. hehe.

a game that searches the net for clues... for additional levels... whatever...

and these 'resources' would be pre hidden all over the internet...

... ok, now you can start laughing :)

i dunno, but the moment i read that, i had what seemed like an epiphany of sorts... it seemed like a good idea there for at least a minute or two anyway...

--Mike

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#6]
I was being serious in a comical way.

I have some really weird ideas. For example, every now and then I go through my harddrive and cleanup tmp and ~ junk files. To add a lil fun to this mundane process, I've considered developing an arcade style 3D shooter game that generate baddies based on junk files.

When you blast away the baddie, you delete the junk file. The game would feature lots of weapons, powerups, and a variety of baddies dependent on the size of the junk file. Really huge files can be the big bad bosses.

Such a game would provide a fun way to clean up your harddrive and score big points.

agent4125(Posted 2005) [#7]
Thanks for the comments, guys. The internet tie-in sounds fun, even if beyond the scope of this small project.

Frank, your junk file FPS sounds similar to the Doom variant used to kill Linux processes:
http://www.cs.unm.edu/~dlchao/flake/doom/

Anyway, I have just updated the game and added a few new features, adding more variety and action to it now.

2005.01.27 - v1.1

- Extended time limit to 120 secs
- Added helicopter-like enemy
- Added garage to repaint vehicle
- Added coupon bonus system
- Fixed driving bug
- made cars boxier
- minor mechanics updates

Moses(Posted 2005) [#8]
A game of this nature was created before, but instead of it just destorying temp files(well it didn't erase anything actually) it used the files on your harddrive as the enemies, i can't remember what the name of the game, but i'm sure its around in some archive somewhere... cdrom.com maybe.

btw it was a space shooter

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#9]
In theory its a fun idea, but, in reality it could be dangerous. You might end up deleting a needed file.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2005) [#10]
That's part of the fun! Throw some essential system files in there, and try not to shoot them! Whee!

agent4125(Posted 2005) [#11]
v1.2 - 2005.02.05

- Added Budgettes and Park
- Made cops less dangerous
- Fixed garage bug
- shaded car when driving through alley
- Added pause
- Changed coupon scoring

Foppy(Posted 2005) [#12]
That's part of the fun! Throw some essential system files in there, and try not to shoot them! Whee!
A gangster file named britney32.pif that is shooting at you while dragging an innocent config.sys along as a shield!

And, nice game! Captain Profit doesn't give up easily it seems.

Grisu(Posted 2005) [#13]
Where's the police helicopter?

Some Cents:
- Enlarge the city!
- Make different "city districts" (levels)
- How about different cop cars (S.W.A.T van etc)
- Make "normal" cars use the streets as well, so they "block" your way
- If caught by police, one is brought to jail and can buy yourself out if you have enough points.
- add a bank to rob :)

keyboard(Posted 2005) [#14]
loved the design and its very fun, and if you felt like extending it, as Grisu suggests...

nice work

:P

agent4125(Posted 2005) [#15]
Thanks again for your ideas, Grisu. =)

At this point, I'm actually going to keep it as it is for now, with exception of bug fixes, since it was originally intended to be a one-off small game and I have other projects I want to finish. I may expand on this later, though.

There is still one bug with the MIDI not playing for certain people, but I understand that is a Blitz bug, so I'm not sure how to work around that yet.

Also, btw Captain Profit IS the "helicopter"! Or at least my odd variation on that idea. =)

agent4125