Super Blitz Bros - Demo Available!

Community Forums/Showcase/Super Blitz Bros - Demo Available!

rsbrowndog(Posted 2005) [#1]
All,

As the title suggests, I now have a demo that I would appreciate feedback on! Grab it here (just under 2mb!):

http://www.rsbrowndog.f2s.com/SUPERBLITZBROSDEMO.zip

From the readme.txt:

------------------------------------------------------------------

SUPER BLITZ BROS Demo - Ryan Brown - 23/01/05

This demo contains six different levels that showcase each of the
six different "zones" in SUPER BLITZ BROS.

You can play with up to four players, but all players MUST use
joysticks or joypads, there are NO keyboard control options.

Credits:

Music Provided by Team Rebellion Software - Musician Duncan Nicol

Michael Wilson - launcher
Zenith - character models
Psionic - textures
Mark Sibly - Blitz3D
GfK - Encouragement and advice

Sound Effects temporarily "borrowed" from Jump Around!

CONTROLS

Note: apart from the launcher and PAUSE and QUIT, a joypad or
joystick is used to control players. There is NO keyboard option!

TITLE SCREEN
============

Left / Right - Select number of players
Button 1 - start
Esc - quit

IN-GAME
=======

Up / Down / Left / Right - walk
Button 1 - jump
F12 - take screenshot
P - pause
Esc - quit

NOTES

This demo is seriously lacking in polish, I am well aware of that!

However, I decided to release this to start getting some feedback
on it! I hope you enjoy playing!

Any feedback is appreciated!

Please mail me at: rsb@...

Let me know what you think!

Cheers,

Ryan

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#2]
The page cannot be found

rsbrowndog(Posted 2005) [#3]
Oooops, link fixed now, sorry!!

Cheers,

Ryan

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#4]
Hi,

The ghosts seem to move in a completely random direction, which in itself is fine, if it didn't make the random encounters with them unavoidable. They need either to move slower, or move in a predictable way. A combination of both would be preferable. As it stands it's near impossible to complete a level without being caught by one of them, without having the time to move away from them. The ones coming from the lower part of the screen moving up, are by far the most problematic, as the camera angle gives you a very short view distance in that direction.

Other than that, it might be nicer if all the coins weren't replaced when you die.

I never completed the first level because the ghosts kept surprising me, without warning, but it seems like a pretty straight pacman-ish clone, which in itself is not bad, but a little creative additions wouldn't be out of the way.

The artwork is hardly eye candy, but I'm sure that if you get the game right, nobody will notice after 3 minutes of play.

Where is the other brother?

Current rating 2 out of 10, but I'm convinced you can beef it up :)

rsbrowndog(Posted 2005) [#5]
fredborg,

A lot of the feedback you've given are things I have been considering anyway, but it's good to hear it from someone else. I quite often find that I am "too close" to a project to really see the flaws, so I'm glad that you've pointed them out.

I'll definitely zoom the camera out a bit further, in fact for games with more than one player I was considering a single camera zoomed out far enough to see the whole level, rather than 4 smaller cameras. Thoughts on that?

Regarding the coins all disappearing, I originally intended for the game to be an against-the-clock type thing, but then there are rather a lot of coins and it does get frustrating to get so close and to see them all come back. I noticed this earlier this evening when I watched my Dad try the game.

The other brother (or brothers) is (or are) only present in multiplayer modes. Otherwise they are replaced by the ghosts. So, for instance, in 1-player mode you have 3 ghosts, in 2-player mode there are 2 ghosts, etc.

2 out of 10 seems a bit harsh!!

Cheers,

Ryan

fredborg(Posted 2005) [#6]
2 out of 10 spurs you on :) No offense meant by it, I was trying to encourage you to improve it :)

Maybe, it is unfair to have less ghosts when there are more players? Depends on how multiplayer affects the game play of course.

[Edit] Funny, how a numeric rating can seem harsh compared to a linguistic rating.

rsbrowndog(Posted 2005) [#7]
Fredborg,

Well, the idea of the multiplayer modes is to compete against the other players to get the most coins, so the single ghost is just in there as a pain-in-the-proverbial!

I have already made some tweaks (download has NOT been updated yet) but would really like to hear some other opinions on the coins, should they all come back or stay collected forever?

Cheers,

Ryan

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#8]
Awe shucks. No Joysticks Found.