Rpg Project : Magic effect + impact

Community Forums/Showcase/Rpg Project : Magic effect + impact

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#1]

Here you can see a magic effect in action. A little explenation of what is going on for those that are interested :
- The magic has just ended so the sphere you may have seen in other screenshots has already disappeared, but there are still some (green) particles that haven't disappeared.
- You can see that the magic hit two monsters by the hit damage that's displayed, and the impact effects (explosion-like particle effects). These impact effects show the spot where the impact was, but the monsters have already been hit back by the blow.
- The character that perfomed the magic has birds floating around his head because after attacking or using magic/items, he has to wait for a specific time (the birds get smaller and there is a time meter for this, that's not in this screenshot).
- The monster at the top has taken so much damage (previous hits in that battle) so he's dying, hence the transparant-outline-ish look.
- The lower monster has got a green-circle-effect around him, indicating that he's currently trying to perform one of his special skills (potion, first aid, fast forward, boost, etc).

Edit : the monster models are only temporary :)

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#2]
Here's one showing the other character's magic. His magic is weak against these creatures (magic is divided in 3 basic groups, physical, mental and energy, and they function a bit like Rock, Paper, Scissors, each type is more powerfull against other types of creatures), and his magic statistic is currently less developed than the other character's, hence the low damage :

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#3]
Very cool!
I can't wait to play this game!
I love the GFX in this! Very purty!
And I love the characters! They
look so cute! ^-^

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#4]
/me looks for the pre-order button but can't find it..

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#5]
I won't take pre-orders because I don't want to have to send you your money back (after spending it myself) if anything happens.
Still, very encouraging, thanks!

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#6]
Look excellent man. Keep up the good work :D

Duckstab[o](Posted 2005) [#7]
top designs mate what progression system are you using for Character building

basic level and exp or something more fantastic
Skill based
Sphere grid in ffx was cool
weaponskill learning of ff9 wasnt to much kop

god i luv RPG

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#8]
It's a system I tought of myself.
Skills are performed with "skill spheres", which are bought/collected. Better skills cost more, obviously. So any character can perform any skill, providing that you can afford buying them. This works pretty well.
Characters have level/exp, and when they level they gain points in their statistics. These points are divided slightly differently for each character, and you have some control over this. For instance, depending on which answers you choose in conversations, your character's "personality" changes (agressive, defensive, impulsive, open-minded, etc), and based on that, your character will level differently. There's other factors too.

What makes the game unique is the battle system. It's kind of a cross between a turn based RPG, an action RPG, and worms :) and personally I believe it is a lot of fun.

Duckstab[o](Posted 2005) [#9]
deffo sounds good to me.brings the ability for a totally different experience for each player to suit there style while still remaining on the path of the true story/plot
to many rpgs let you max out players to a fixed amount standard but to build a unique character oooooh that just make me quiver :) Big up to fall_X think you might be on a winner

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#10]
Sweet looking! Good luck with this project. I hope you see it through to completion and maybe it can be my indie pick of the month someday ;)

Falelorn(Posted 2005) [#11]
wow looking nice