RPG project : magic effects

Community Forums/Showcase/RPG project : magic effects

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#1]

These may still change, but I kind of like them already :)

Of course they look better when moving.

ckob(Posted 2005) [#2]
wow this is looking very good, is it playable?

the characters kind of remind me of grail online

Dock(Posted 2005) [#3]
Very nice :) Simple but effective.
It would be nice if you define more strongly the point where the semi-sphere hits the ground. This would be good from a aesthetic and visual-feedback point of view.

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#4]
Yes it's playable, but only about 40% finished engine-wise... Adding content will take even longer, but I will probably have a very early demo running in about a month or 3 :)
I'll see what I can do, but with the terrains that may not be very easy... But it's more apprant where it hits the ground when it's moving (the circles expand)

Thanks for the comments.

Dock(Posted 2005) [#5]
Ah, I see what you mean about the terrain. It's especially vague to see the far side of the sphere, as you can't see the reverse faces of the sphere.

ckob(Posted 2005) [#6]
is this multiplayer or single player?

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#7]
single player.

it's a console-style rpg (well, it has a unique battle system, but it resembles console style rpg's).

ckob(Posted 2005) [#8]
oh kool, when your finished you should think about making it multiplayer I know those style graphics are populer with younger kids and alot of them are playing multiplayer rpg now.

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#9]
I'm not really a mmorpg fan (I will be checking out FFXI and world of warcraft soon though), I like story-based RPG's a lot, so that's why I'm making one. The battle engine would be well-suited for online play though (with a few adjustments), so maybe I'll consider it after this is finished.

Duckstab[o](Posted 2005) [#10]
what are you using to design and animate your characters your style has captured the true rpg feel

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#11]
Milkshape 3D.
Hint : It helps to use an animation sequence (images) as a reference behind your model when animating.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#12]
Looking good fall_x. I like the art style. Your lucky to have both programming and art skills.

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#13]
I can't really draw or anything, most of it is trial and error, and remembering what works well. It's more a matter of taste than it is talent I guess. I've been into making games since I was 7 years old (zx spectrum, later amiga), never finished anything though, but it gave me a lot of experience. Being a web developer also helps, because I do some occasional webdesign as well.
The same with music, I can't sing a note or play by ear, but I can compose a pretty good tune because I know enough basic music theory (self-tought) and because I spent a lot of time writing music.
It's all about practice :)

BlackD(Posted 2005) [#14]
Man.. I've been silently watching all these rpg threads going green with envy thinking "oh man - i wish i could do that!". Nice work, fall_x. :) Do you accept pre-order's? hehe. :)

With a good engine like this, there's so much that can be developed in the way of story/locations/etc later on. I think it's going to turn out great considering how superb it's looking already. :)

+BlackD

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#15]
Yeah the screenshoots make the hemispheres look kinda flat, especially because the yin-yang one doesn't appear to curve around (if ya get me), still, as you say, it would be more apparent when in motion etc.

Great looking stuff!

I've been into making games since I was 7 years old (zx spectrum...but it gave me a lot of experience...The same with music, I can't sing a note or play by ear, but I can compose a pretty good tune because I know enough basic music theory (self-tought) and because I spent a lot of time writing music.

Wow!

Exacly the same here. That's freaky ;-)

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#16]
Wow!

Exacly the same here. That's freaky ;-)

That's because you're probably just one of my alter egos and you only exist in my head ;)

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#17]
No. You'r one of mine. The voices told me so :)