Blitz3D Showcase at Exhibition

Community Forums/Showcase/Blitz3D Showcase at Exhibition

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have to do this big project for an exhibition coming up in May, and I thought it would be a great idea to just showcase lots of the things Blitz can do.

I was thinking about showcasing the best AI in the games, the best concept, the best models, the best textures, what Blitz3D can handle, simplicity of programming, etc.

I want suggestions from you guys for what I should put in my showcase. I really want Blitz3D to be known throughout my school. So...any ideas?

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#2]
What about a series of graphical demos?

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#3]
the castle demo covers a few categories, and the head demo

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#4]
Yeah, but I was thinking about taking some of the huge community games, such as Popscene, Wobbles, AOTG, etc.

And push Blitz3D to the limit to show what it can do.

Skitchy(Posted 2005) [#5]
You can use the ALE/InflaterBall/SnakeTris/ demos if you like - all downloadable from ->

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#6]
feel free to show them one of my latest demos: demo 3, 4 and 5. Although I'm afraid such singleplayer mission levels don't show a lot of what blitz is about. (www.melog.ch/dropper/)

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#7]
Yeah - jfk - your stuff is really good, especailly that engine. I actually might consider buying it, mainly just to study it.

Are you going to release the source to it? (most likely not)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#8]
Thanks. I see you didn't read the EULA yet, it states no source, sorry. But you can download the editor I wrote for plasma, it contains a lot of its structure and gives an example on how to handle filename-triggered special tasks (eg. flares) or action-string triggered behaviour:
http://www.melog.ch/dl/pledit05.zip

(well infact it isn't very smart cause currently it reads the level file twice, the first time to count the number of objects to be able to allocate the right array size, and the second time to actually load the objects as referended in the level file - you better add a feature in the editor that writes the total number of objects into the header, and the loader then simply reads that value and uses it to DIM.)

But hey - a fair warning, I don't give a lot on socalled "sophisticated programming style" and Frank would run out of the room if I blinded him with some of my code snippets. I even didn't use types since there was no need for them.
Hehe - I'm a bad programmer, but I'm creative. I have no doubt that creativity is much more important than good programming style. And where rules dictate a certain style, creativity may die. That's why I still use a Basic Language. Thanks to Mark Sibly I got a powerful one too.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#9]
Creativity is definately more important - but the code should be at least readable :P

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#10]
if it's readable or not is a very subjective matter. personally I can read it easily, and too much types give me headache ŠV - if it's formated nicely (I prefere double-spaces over tabs) and has useful comments, it remains very reader-friendly over years. eg:

for i= 0 to whatever
 now here follows a zillion lines of heavily nested 
 constructs of all kinds, you know, the really confusing  
 stuff
next ; i

So I'll be never in trouble wondering what FOR this NEXT was part of.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#11]
So do you think it is better to keep the number of types down? Less types = better?

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#12]
Depends. You can do most of the stuff types can do, with arrays i find. I use either or, depending on the circumstances.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#13]
Ok, back on topic:

Please post if you want your game to be showcased at my presentation. It must be unique and show a function of Blitz3D.

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#14]
I prefere double-spaces over tabs
Sorry for going offtopic, but I can't understand why anyone would prefer that... you can set the tab size in most editors anyway, and you don't have to press a key twice.
Being a web developer/designer by trade, I see a lot of people that indent their HTML with spaces instead of tabs - which is a waste of bandwidth for anyone that's going to visit the site - 3 spaces instead of 1 tab => 3 times as much bytes for the indenting.

So, I can't see any benefits of using spaces, but I'm interested in why some people do.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#15]
Shall I start a new thread? :P

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#16]
fall_x - i am too lazy to move my eyes for the width of a TAB, so I use Spaces. And one space would be too small. No, seriously, if you use TABs with heavily nested constructs, the inner part will be off screen on the right side. I hate the need for horizontal scrolling when I code, especially when I quickly have to find something.

Optomistic - sorry. BTW, if you use types or not is only up to you, do what you like more.

Ok, back on topic.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#17]
It's so weird how we programmers can get so off topic by an argument about Tabs vs. spaces. :D

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#18]
fall_x - i am too lazy to move my eyes for the width of a TAB, so I use Spaces. And one space would be too small. No, seriously, if you use TABs with heavily nested constructs, the inner part will be off screen on the right side. I hate the need for horizontal scrolling when I code, especially when I quickly have to find something.
Then just set the tab size to 2 ;)

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#19]
Oh God.... ;)