Grave Robber - Dungeon Crawl Style Game

Community Forums/Showcase/Grave Robber - Dungeon Crawl Style Game

Matty(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi,

Having had the last week off work I decided I'd try to make a game in that time, so here is one that I made between Thursday last week and today. It is a fairly basic 3d dungeon crawl where the player tries to find as much treasure as they can and avoid/slay monsters along the way. Instructions for play can be found in the readme.txt file as well as on the instructions screen of the game.

Note the sound effects have to be changed as they are taken from some of the games I own, albeit old ones.

The download is about 2MB.

Here is a screenshot:

and here is the download link:

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~gezeder/lloyd/graverobber.zip

It should run fine on most systems given how low the specs are on my own PC.

Known issues:

5 seconds into every level beyond the first the game pauses for a brief moment (1-2 seconds).

When walking up stairs to exit level player walks through the exit mesh rather than up the
stairs, although level ends the same as expected.

Particle effects for some monsters do not always show correctly.

Just my thoughts/opinion: The easiest way to make a game when starting out is probably to trawl through the internet looking at old DOS games - ie old shareware dos games - the really simple ones - and base a game around one of those.

EDIT:I just uploaded a version with frame limiting - it runs
too fast on other people's machines.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#2]
didn't play it yet, but the screenie looks promising and I think the theme and idea is very nice!

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#3]
It looks cool, although the character model could use some work.

But nice concept and everything. I really like the design.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#4]
the presentation is good but the game needs more 'things to do' and a map.
Thanks for allowing for 16 bit GFX

How do you allow a blitz EXE to allow arguments like that?

9572AD(Posted 2005) [#5]
Slenkar: Have a look at CommandLine$()

Afrohorse(Posted 2005) [#6]
The shift button isn't a good choice for the attacks for me - the XP sticky keys thing keep popping up.

Still, nice, it's got potential, animation need a bit of work. I like the dynamic lighting, good job :)