Screenshots of Mech Traders game (just started)

Community Forums/Showcase/Screenshots of Mech Traders game (just started)

cyberseth(Posted 2005) [#1]

Just started working on this a few days ago, it's a card-trading battle game with futuristic 3D mechs. Mechs here are placeholder 3D models.

Screenshots demonstrate coloured, lightmapped terrain with shadowcasting according to "sun" position, 3 starter themes (volcano, ice, sandbox), HUD info box for units and cards, multitextured grid with pathfinding to show where units can move to, and enemy unit targeting with occlusion (cannot shoot around mountains or behind other units).

poopla(Posted 2005) [#2]
That looks really interresting :).

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#3]
Very interesting...

Psionic(Posted 2005) [#4]
I was gonna say interesting ;-) looks really nice so far and it seems like a fun game idea, good luck with it m8!

Yan(Posted 2005) [#5]
Looking good...Oh, and interesting of course!

Dazman(Posted 2005) [#6]
Looks nice and..... er..... interesting

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#7]
Um... OK... I'll be brave...

Ya What?

You've got playing cards... and mechs in a little sandpit. OK, so you trade cards... um... and mechs fight?

I have no idea what this is about, granted, looks quite pretty, but still no idea what it's about. For some reason I'm reminded when I caught a manga cartoon where there's people with spinning tops and magic and stuff and I got very confused thinking 'Ya What?' at that too. That said, that was manga so you do end up saying 'Ya What?' to pretty much everything in those... anyway... Care to elaborate on what this is all about... So far I've got, you trade cards and mechs fight... What's on the cards? Why are the mechs fighting? About the cards you're trading? I assume the cards have something to do with the mechs? Um...

cyberseth(Posted 2005) [#8]
I'm not going to post all the ins and outs here, but basically it is a card-trading game (much like the Pokemon/Yugioh type stuff etc). You have a deck of cards with mechs and special abilities on them.

When you instigate a challenge with an opponent, this sandbox grid is laid out with bases on each end. You use your cards to summon mechs on to the battle grid. (Don't bother trying to figure out how this happens, it just happens.)

Each player takes in turns to move mechs and play cards. You use your units, and any special ability cards, to attack your opponent's mechs and base. The winner gets to take an opponent's card, allowing them to have a better deck of cards and thus be a more challenging opponent.

cyberseth(Posted 2005) [#9]
In any case, you don't need to completely understand it at the moment, since it's far from finished and there are no playable demo downloads. So really, you may finely continue to think "Ya What" until the game's finished!

Shane(Posted 2005) [#10]
Looking good seth

scribbla(Posted 2005) [#11]
my kids would love this..and i would end up paying for it

they love yu-gi-oh, duel masters and all that...they are all just new updated version of Top Trumps..(bet you dont remember them)

but yep would be interesting with mechs

namar777(Posted 2005) [#12]
Nice . it looks.......... "Special" ;)

fall_x(Posted 2005) [#13]
This looks awesome. I like the sandbox idea, and that menu looks very nice as well.
Is there going to be a story, or just battling with mechs?

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#14]
It's top trumps is it! Why didn't anyone say that before. Top Trumps rocks!

Reda Borchardt(Posted 2005) [#15]
The game idea looks like Metal Gear Solid Acid for the PSP.
By the way... I am getting mine tomorrow. Muahahaha.

P.S: The game looks lovely.