Code Breaker

Community Forums/Showcase/Code Breaker

Shane(Posted 2005) [#1]
This is a version of the old board game called Mastermind.

The computer will choose a code of colours and your task is to break that code. The code can be between 3-6 colours in length, you can choose from 3-6 different colours and can attempt anything up to 15 guesses.

Statistics are kept on each game and a simple graph is shown of the results.

This is currently version 0.83
Future releases of the game will hopefully include sound effects, an undo command, better statistics tracking, a help file and a choice of game resolutions.

Download from here: Code Breaker (1.80mb)

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#2]
Very fun!!!!!! Great! I love it! Never played Mastermind
though...

You, and the book, Digital Fortress by Dan Brown
have just inspired me and gave me a great idea for a
puzzle game!!!!!

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#3]
I think it would be cool if you made Internet play, as Mastermind is traditionally 2 player.

Shane(Posted 2005) [#4]
@theduck - I'm glad that you like it and I'd love to know what kind of puzzle game you're going to do.

@Optomistic - That is a very good idea. As mentioned above it isn't completely finished yet but I never thought about making it two player (but as you pointed out the real game has always been for two). I will have to look into that possibility.

Shane(Posted 2005) [#5]
Version 0.84 is now available from here (1.89mb).

The undo command is implemented and some minor improvements to the graphics have been made.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#6]
I loved the original Mastermind - I haven't ever come across a computer version.

keyboard(Posted 2005) [#7]
I loved the original Mastermind - I haven't ever come across a computer version.

There was one version, i forget the company, kind of bloatware, did a lot of "entertainment and education" type of stuff... anyway, my niece constantly kicked me at it, but it was fun...

here's another SHERLOCK

Shane(Posted 2005) [#8]
If anybody downloaded this and got a memory exception error on a correct guess then please download again - the problem was due to a missing file in the zip that has now been corrected.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#9]
I'm confused. What does the red dot mean, and what does the white dot mean?

When you're playing the game and you've guessed the colors.

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#10]
I'm confused. What does the red dot mean, and what does the white dot mean?

Looking at the sample screenshot, it appears that a red dot means you have a color in the correct location. white means that you have a correct color, but in the wrong location.

The point is to figure out by trial & error which ones happen to be in the right spot(s)

Shane(Posted 2005) [#11]
That's correct xlsior.

If, for example you get 2 white dots and a red dot that means that 2 of your guesses are of the correct colour but in the wrong place; 1 of your guesses is of the correct colour and in the correct place; and, 1 of your guesses is completely wrong.

The tricky thing is you don't know which ones are right and which are wrong - that's up to you to determine by making further guesses.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#12]
I get a memory access violation when I lose. And I haven't won yet. :P

Shane(Posted 2005) [#13]
Are you using the latest version (v0.84 ?).

If not you probably need to download it. If you are then make sure that all four files are extracted to the same directory and don't run it from within the zip file as it won't be able to save the information it needs for the stats chart.

If you still have problems please mail me and I'll try to sort it out.

Thank you,

Shane